Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DysonFleetYards
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Shipmaking Q&A

Post by DysonFleetYards »

Yes, it's the first ship I made in shipmaker, and it is still a WIP. I have made smaller ships after thou. It is so hard finding parts, and then placing them. And then I have to place all my armor along the leading edges and vulnerable areas and such. I can't seem to select a section on top of another, it always selects the one(s) under the top most section.

Right now I am working on my much smaller artillery ship, but I'm stuck about the large turntable-mounted gauss cannon. I wish I knew how to make my own sections, but then I'm worried it's a bit complicated.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Yeah, before we even get talking about trying to work on the slightly more complicated mechanics like stationary guns on turntables and moving guns around it, which is entirely possible, you need to uh... learn the basics of the game. The bare basics. The really simple stuff. Because this ship is a horrible mess. A horrible, horrible, terrifying mess. You need to learn what parenting is, and um... don't stretch sections so much. It just looks horrible. Please, look around the forum a bit, practice stuff some more, start smaller, because you have a fair bit to learn...

As for selecting sections underneath other sections, click the top section, then ctrl+click to cycle through sections beneath it. Look through guides and the readmes and the FAQs on the forum. This stuff is all out there. You can learn a lot just by reading the stuff already on the forum without coming and asking your own questions.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
DysonFleetYards
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DysonFleetYards »

Ah ok, thanks!
jdmls729
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by jdmls729 »

I could use some help.
I've been experimenting with SWA sprites and stuff, but they just look dull with the shades of green, red, and purple available.
I see people with their cool shades of grey and totally un-default colors, and they say that they "colored" them...
This seems awfully vague to me. Are they referring to manually changing the sprite colors with, say, Photoshop?
Or is there a way to select more colors than the defaults on the left-hand bar?

Thanks in advance.

Never mind. Read the manual more carefully.
Last edited by jdmls729 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the stronger our houses we do build,
The less chance we have of being killed."
-William McGonagall
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

right click on your section of choice, go to number 7 on the list, go to custom colour et voila!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
jdmls729
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by jdmls729 »

Oh. Thanks for replying anyway.
"For the stronger our houses we do build,
The less chance we have of being killed."
-William McGonagall
Merchant
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Merchant »

How would you make a constantly firing blaster like something from a shooter?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, don't so much understand your question, but I suspect your purpose would be served by clicking the edit tab on a given weapon, and altering the clip, fire rate, and reload stats, along with the deviation perhaps. Hope that helps.
RaffertyPk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RaffertyPk »

sorry if someone already asked this, but when i use custom sprites, this weird grey box appears around them in game. how do i get rid of that?
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

RaffetyPk wrote:sorry if someone already asked this, but when i use custom sprites, this weird grey box appears around them in game. how do i get rid of that?
I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for, homeslice.
Q: How do I fix the weird glow bug on custom sections?

A: There are a couple of ways to do this.

1: You can turn off the glow for all ships, in the Options menu ingame. Use the Colours selector and cycle until you reach 'Glow', then set all the sliders to the left.

2: In Shipmaker, select the offending section(s), go to the Effects tab, and toggle "Disable Glow" to "On".
Welcome to Wyrd, by the way. Apologies if it looks a little tumbleweedish in here.
w0th
Ensign
Ensign

Post by w0th »

Q: Mirror function not working
Um ok i am new and i have problem and i think this is the right place to post this. With my ship that im designing i try to mirror it. Most of the ship comes out properly but the weapons do not. Before this was working but then i added more parts and it stopped working.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

How exactly do the weapons stop working? Did they dissappear beneath the ship? Mirroring does not work well on depthed weapons.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

correction, mirroring does not work whatsoever on depthed weapons and will utterly mangle you're ship file. the best thing to do is to never mirror weapons. do all the sectionwork first, then after that's finished add weapons
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

vidboi wrote:correction, mirroring does not work whatsoever on depthed weapons and will utterly mangle you're ship file. the best thing to do is to never mirror weapons. do all the sectionwork first, then after that's finished add weapons
This is just silly. Simply wait until you've mirrored the weapons, then depth them. Depthing them before mirroring is what causes the errors, and most of the time simply undepthing and redepthing mirrored, depthed weapons will fix the problems anyway. It is not the end of the world, it will not murderise your ship file.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Eternal_Dragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eternal_Dragon »

Q: hmm it seems i have a problem here when i have built my ship and saved it i checked that it had mirrored correctly and it had so i launched the sandbox and it had double the weapons and modules that i put on. i then quit and checked this in the editor but the weapons and modules were fine there was only one of each in the place where they should be. so then i moved the modules and weapons just to make sure there wasnt any duplicates. then i tested it again and it still had the various extra weapons & modules namely 1 extra thruster and 2 extra missile launchers

On Another Note i need to know a little about triggers i have designed a ship that i want to fold in its wingsFins as it moves how would i get it to do this?
Attachments
this is a picture of the ship i want the back fins to rotate inwards as the ship moves
this is a picture of the ship i want the back fins to rotate inwards as the ship moves
SMscreen00.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 3887 times