Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Deltaflyer wrote:Actually, I thought I had gone wrong somewhere in the driver linking and whatnot, without realizing it was an actual bug. I posted the error up there so you could assist me.
See This. If it don't look similar to this when you pull your Turret apart, then you know it's an error on your side.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Where the heck did that "Pendulum" ship come from? I like it (It has helped me figure stuff out a lot) but whose idea was it for it to be in there?
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Pendulum ship? Do you mean this?
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Thanks Blue Echo. I got my turrets working.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

I tried some sandboxing and I cannot find a way to disable rotation after it was started by either enabled it in the first place in SM, or triggered on by another entity.

Say a section is set to rotate after weapon A has acquired target. I want it so that if weapon A lost the target it would stop the rotation, or better, reverse the rotation so that the section rotates back to the original starting angle.

How do I do that? I tried using "trigger off" on "weapon lost target" and I sandboxed extensively, trigger off never seem to perform any function. I thought it would disable whatever trigger on had started, but it doesn't. What exactly does it do?

Also I can't disable a weapon using triggers. Neither could I succeed in an opposite approach of making disabled weapon fire (disabled shooting in SM) using force fire trigger on.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

I wonder how to use ship deployer?
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Triggering on and triggering off offer 2 fields. But "on frame" setting according to tooltip applies for only trigger no. 1 for frame elapsed. The pendulum example ship however has 2 fields both set to frame elapsed. If only trigger 1 works with the "frame elapsed" "on frame" settings, surely the frame elapsed option should not be selectable on trigger 2?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

The 'frames elapsed' trigger on/off action 2 has no effect.
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

My turret is not firing at all. Are turrets not allowed to be attached to the core or have I made it wrong? I tried to follow BlueEcho's conditions.

The 3 guns and the section seem to be moving together, IE when the ship turns, but will not track any targets and do not fire.

Edit: I tried to re-do it, and now it makes an error and doesn't load at all.

Code: Select all

for object __newobject992:

In script nTur2:
Error in code at line 24:
     l_section[argument6].l_child[l_section[argument6].l_childnum] = l_weapon[wj]

at position 4: Unknown variable l_section or array index out of bounds
When in deadly danger, When beset by doubt, Run in little circles, Wave your arms and shout
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

You sure you have the latest version? That bug has been fixed...

Can you post your sb4?
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

I just downloaded it today from the link in the info thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zoyjn1hvgng

There's the ship, the turret is the 3 autocannons in the center attached to Kae_sec22.

What am I doing wrong?
When in deadly danger, When beset by doubt, Run in little circles, Wave your arms and shout
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Well, your ship works fine for me. So it might be an old version of BattleshipsForever.exe nevertheless.
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

You're right, I simply reloaded the editor and now it works, although my driver weapon seems to rotate independantly from the rest of the turret. I'm assuming this is because it's not actually a child of the turret section (as I heard that was a bad thing to do).

I guess that's the point behind making your drivers unfiring and invisible.
Thanks for looking anyway.
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

Perturabo wrote:You're right, I simply reloaded the editor and now it works, although my driver weapon seems to rotate independantly from the rest of the turret. I'm assuming this is because it's not actually a child of the turret section (as I heard that was a bad thing to do).

I guess that's the point behind making your drivers unfiring and invisible.
Thanks for looking anyway.
No need, either link the other turrets to the driver or the driver to the main-linked turret.
If done properly, you should be able to accomplish something like this :
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3551
I'm planning on writing a guide to do so but I need permission to post it up here in a separate section.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

I have another issue for the answer squad. I'm experimenting with moving parts and such, and thought it would be a good idea to have a weapon hidden under a vane which would be activated when open. I must be doing something wrong because when I press the trigger button, the program fails.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kjonh5mjnyz
Here is the ship.

So basically the question is, how can you make a weapon activate only after a part is moved (whether the part is its parent or not).