Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

X-14 wrote:I have one Questions:

I have create a ship whit Moving Sections, but in Sandbox doesn't move to the position... i can't do anything with the manuals... please help me.
My ships do the same thing, no triggers are involved, speed/return speed are all positive non zero values (50 frames, 1 return frame on one ship, 50/50 on another). Distances are all greater than 1 pixel.

Ship 1:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... abylon.shp

Ship 2:
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mmj29/temp/WTF.sb4
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Ah yes, now i remember, its a bug.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Ok, this is sort of an answer to my own question from a while back, but I know that several ppl have been wondering this, so here it is:

To make an asteroid platform:

Instead of turning the core into an asteroid, turn it into a defence platform core. Next, open the Custom Sprites folder and look in Stock Misc. There are several gif files in there that look like asteroids. You can then add one of those to your ship and place it over your core. Add sections and weapons as you desire. Then, set the ship's accelleration to 0, to make it immobile, and set the turn value to however fast you want the thing to rotate. And you're done! Downside alert: apparently the gifs of asteroids aren't the right size, so you get a wierd overlay of the image and a white 'film' over the platform. Kaelis, since you're kind of the section guru, could you maybe resize these images (or do whatever is needed to make them section-worthy) and release them in an 'asteroid section' pack?
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

OK. Now a second Question. I have seen many ships, who have the weapon under normal Sections... i have tried it, but the Weapons are over the sections. Can everybody explain me, how i can do this, please????
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Read the manual.

And while you're at it, you might as well read the documentation, too.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Put a second section under the first section, and parent the weapon to the bottom section. Then, press W with the weapon selected to put the weapon under the top section. See the post on "Weapon depthing" for more information.
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Kaelis wrote:Read the manual.

He's not a native English speaker. He's said at least once that he can't make sense of the manual.
X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

Sponge wrote:
Kaelis wrote:Read the manual.

He's not a native English speaker. He's said at least once that he can't make sense of the manual.

this is true, but i read this and use a
Dictionary. I haven't understand the Manuals, because i didn't know, where i can set the trigger. But now i know it. I must read the manuals often or translate it, but this is good for my english ^^

EDIT: Thanks Hypothetical Wisdom.
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

A question about ship HP: is the HP you set for the ship spread amongst sections, or is it only for the core? If the later is the case, then do different sections have default HP values? Or is it determined in some other way?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The HP for sections is based off the section's distance from the core and a few other factors. Sections in front of the core get a health boost (but those far out in front will still have less), whilst sections behind the core get less health overall. It's based off the health set for the core.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

hi!

As the new version of the shipmaker has come, I am interested in buiding a new generation of ships for the Loricentii, a race I built some time ago.

I have the backstory written, and the concept of the ships ready. And I might give a try to building the fleet using stock-balance standards.

But one basic premise of the ships I have designed is, apart of being composed entirely of custom sections already drawn by me, that they need to be able to move in their default stance. As soon as they get are spawned, I would like them to start a certain movement and repeat it forever. I have been able to make it move as I want in the preview mode by using no triggers to any actions in the sections I want to be moving. However, this has not been working ingame.

It's like if my ship had a rotating part (not the case with my ships), which rotated permanently. I do not know how to achieve this kind of "permanent" movement out of the preview mode of the shipmaker.

Can someone tell me how to make a ship starting a movement as they are spawned and repeating it forever? I really could not find any help on the documentation.

I hope as the creators get more into the game, we will get step by step guides. But by now, I have no clue of how to make my ships work as I intended. Could anyone give me a hand?
VORLON SHIPBUILDER

Visit the Babylon5 Fleet page, now with 32 different ships all in scale with each other in both size and firepower.

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1768/]Visit the shipyards and download the fleet![/url]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Make sure you have the latest version (press F1 ingame), which is 0.90b. There was a bug in previous version that made moving sections not move at all, despite moving properly in shipmaker.
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

so that was it? oh, thanks, I did not understood that was a fixed bug in the changelog posted on the forums, so I did not updated my game. But thanks, I will give that a try
VORLON SHIPBUILDER

Visit the Babylon5 Fleet page, now with 32 different ships all in scale with each other in both size and firepower.

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1768/]Visit the shipyards and download the fleet![/url]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

You saw the update, you saw the changelog, yet you didnt actually download it and carried on with the older version...? What kind of philosophy is that?

Unless there is something seriously wrong with the release, you should ALWAYS update.
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

Kaelis wrote:You saw the update, you saw the changelog, yet you didnt actually download it and carried on with the older version...? What kind of philosophy is that?

Unless there is something seriously wrong with the release, you should ALWAYS update.
Lol, well, I did not feel like updating

That was the problem, you were right, thanks for the help. I hope I can show you the results of your help quite soon!
VORLON SHIPBUILDER