Transfering ships to new version...

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Transfering ships to new version...

Post by codenemisis »

Hey guys, you might rememeber me you might not, I built a few crap ships and sort of just left before finishing working on some of my ships.

Well, I decided to come back but I found out that there is a new version, I downloaded it and began playing and building, needless to say this new version is the total awsome sauce, but I can't figure out how to bring my old ships I made in the previous editor into the new one! This really sucks because it means I can't continue building my ship, which sucks real ballz.

So I was wondering if there is anyway to transfer my old ships into the new editor! Thanks for any help provided and try to respond ASAP.
Okay, that's all.

-Code
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Just like every other SM version update, previous SB# files are entirely incompatible.
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

So about a month of work down the toilet?
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Pretty much.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Open 'em up in an old version, screenshot them, and set that screenshot as the background in the new SM. You should be able to rebuild them piece-for piece in no time flat. That is, provided you're not the type who builds ships with hundreds of overlapping pieces.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Yeah, that is my only real gripe about the new version. I already had a big 'discussion' about it (see General discussion, shipmaker feature requests) with Kaelis and Seraph. They have convinced me that it is utterly impossible to convert them and that arguing about it is futile and will probably invoke the wrath of Seraph.
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

I guess not everyone picked up on this, but when the new version was hinted at, I stopped building altogether for the exact reason of it becoming obsolete.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Hmm. Well, show's you're smart, but I didn't know about the new version until after the fact. In fact, I didn't even join the forums until after the fact.
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

Slayer0019 wrote:I guess not everyone picked up on this, but when the new version was hinted at, I stopped building altogether for the exact reason of it becoming obsolete.
Ha Ha! *High fives* I stopped making ships that were too big and complex, instead I was experimenting with different styles in preparation for the big update.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Its not all bad, in the process of rebuilding my ships I was able to spot slight design mistakes I made in the sb3 designs as well as simultaneously make some improvements to them in their sb4 design.

It's a good exercise in the new sb4 anyway, as you can immediately begin experimenting with the new features on your old ships.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

I share your pain.
But you do find that you can improve upon your old ship with the new sections and stuff. It takes rebuilding the whole thing to do it nicely.