(outdated) Ship Maker Information

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

gompasta
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

thanks

Post by gompasta »

i knew where the folder is but they were automaticly hidden

but save to desktop works
Im back :)
ijyt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by ijyt »

How can I make a section parented to another section? So I don't have to remake an entire section.. :(
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

Double click the parent to be, and then place the new section.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

I think he asked about reasigning parentage of a section from one to another. Don't think you can do that.
Zone51
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Zone51 »

Danny420Dale wrote:Repost from Stardestroyer.net (SDN)

Welcome aboard th15. As you've probly found out by now, we subscribe to a theory of starship design we call 'Maximum Capability'. We figure out what we can do with a given tech set, then maximize its potential.

Although I do recommend maybe making an inverse correlation between, say, firing rate vs damage or range vs damage, and also set limits to how many components can be put on one hull piece (or measure it by mass and give each component a mass fig); make the hull piece refuse to accept more than it can withstand.

Same as for engines: maybe make different cores have differing 'power output' that determines the speed and maneuverability along with number of hull pieces. Maybe devise a heavy component called 'Reactor' to boost the power output of the ship?
that is a awsome idea but it have limited fonctions cuze of game maker X (
i prefer each class of ships have limited sections and weapons and also flagship can have anything >.> simple ?
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com][img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/wizardofnoz/Signatures/BSFuserbar.jpg[/img][/url]
khanbob42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by khanbob42 »

I like the idea of having limited sections/modules and such depending on things like power consumption, etc. However I agree that the sandbox nature of the shipmaker needs to be kept.

Perhaps the build restrictions should be limited to possible future multiplayer (way off I know if ever) or as an aspect of the single player game. I.E. as you progress through the game your rank lets you use better pieces etc and instead of moving from ship to ship you just keep improving and building upon the ship you started with.

Just my 2¢
Kingoomieiii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kingoomieiii »

khanbob42 wrote:I like the idea of having limited sections/modules and such depending on things like power consumption, etc. However I agree that the sandbox nature of the shipmaker needs to be kept.

Perhaps the build restrictions should be limited to possible future multiplayer (way off I know if ever) or as an aspect of the single player game. I.E. as you progress through the game your rank lets you use better pieces etc and instead of moving from ship to ship you just keep improving and building upon the ship you started with.

Just my 2¢
We could do both, really. You could select from different limiting rules, budgets, etc, or none.

But honestly, the best thing that's happened to me since I started playing this game was booting up the shipmaker, messing around, and then realizing... I have no budget. I can do whatever I want.
Winged Cat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Winged Cat »

It might be nice to include this as an option. But if it is included, it really should be optional - and default off - for that reason.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

khanbob42 wrote:I like the idea of having limited sections/modules and such depending on things like power consumption, etc. However I agree that the sandbox nature of the shipmaker needs to be kept.

Just my 2¢
Great as a selectable option. Also, It is probaly nessecarry for multiplayer to prevent the person with the better ships from winning. Like you select a class for your ship and it has certain limitation. Also there could be different levels of battle e.x.: Battle ship would be one size in the peeweee compitition, and it would be bigger in the Masters compition.

Just my 3¢
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

god guys, the expressions is two bits :P 2 cents means nothing. 2 bits is two smidgens of a 'pieces of eight' and is equivalent to 25 cents ;) These coins were cut up into pie shapes to represent smaller values.
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

Boba Fetuccini wrote:god guys, the expressions is two bits :P 2 cents means nothing. 2 bits is two smidgens of a 'pieces of eight' and is equivalent to 25 cents ;) These coins were cut up into pie shapes to represent smaller values.
Well, that really matters doesn't it.

I think that having no budget rocks, but also think that a limeted version should perhaps be created.
Fade-in,fade-out
MoloMowChow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MoloMowChow »

Can anyone help me out?

For some reason whenever I try to set custom damage to my beams/mega beams, the ship doesn't work in sandbox mode...

Anyone wanna tell me what I'm not doing right?

EDIT: Nevermind i found out what was wrong.
lenb
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

How do hitpoints work per section?

Post by lenb »

How does the main amount of hit points get distributed to each section?

Say, 100 sections, ship has 1000 hp, how many hp per section? or is a more complex algorithm?
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

More complex than that.

Basically, any pieces that are directly in front or behind your core will get the greatest HP boost. Pieces on the farthest sides of your ship will get the smallest bonus.

Basically, a long, thin ship has the greatest piece HP.
lenb
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Got a question? Check the FAQ!

Post by lenb »

I found it. Should have looked in the FAQ in the General Forums first.

Thank you for the answer, and letting me do my own "Read the FAQ, newb!" post. :)