(outdated) Ship Maker Information

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

(outdated) Ship Maker Information

Post by th15 »

The Ship Maker is a tool for creating custom ships for use in the Battleships Forever Sandbox mode (from the main menu, click Skirmish then click Sandbox). With this tool you have the freedom of creating your own ships from scratch using a variety of cores and sections.

It also gives you control over the stats of weapons, allowing you to modify the default weapons with different damage values and such. You can freely resize sections and give them customized hp values instead of relying on the built in hp distribution system.

The Ship Maker was originally created by Game_Boy, but has been developed by th15 since the first release.

The latest Ship Maker is always bundled together with the Battleships Forever installer. You can get this at http://www.wydysm.com/games.php

If you wish to use the older version of Ship Maker (v1.9) for compatibility with old .sbl files, then you can get the old Ship Maker at http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/2397
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
creeding
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by creeding »

th im wondering if we will be able to use are custom ships in all grinder,raid and blockade without recorded scores is this a possibility?

edit: and the new one (have to get used to it) :?:
500 ml

[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Is there a possibility for converting old filetypes to the new .sb2 standard?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Nope, I'm afraid I simply can't do that.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Repost from Stardestroyer.net (SDN)

Welcome aboard th15. As you've probly found out by now, we subscribe to a theory of starship design we call 'Maximum Capability'. We figure out what we can do with a given tech set, then maximize its potential.

Although I do recommend maybe making an inverse correlation between, say, firing rate vs damage or range vs damage, and also set limits to how many components can be put on one hull piece (or measure it by mass and give each component a mass fig); make the hull piece refuse to accept more than it can withstand.

Same as for engines: maybe make different cores have differing 'power output' that determines the speed and maneuverability along with number of hull pieces. Maybe devise a heavy component called 'Reactor' to boost the power output of the ship?
Hades
Commander
Commander

Post by Hades »

Same as for engines: maybe make different cores have differing 'power output' that determines the speed and maneuverability along with number of hull pieces. Maybe devise a heavy component called 'Reactor' to boost the power output of the ship?
You know, you can just use the ship at the mid left.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Plus adding restrictions ruins all the fun!
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Arcalane wrote:Plus adding restrictions ruins all the fun!
Agreed. All these things like weight, fuel, design restrictions, hull parts maxes...

They just seem unnecessary, and take away from the open "sandbox" feel of the ship creator, where you can make whatever you feel like making.
MaxAstro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MaxAstro »

It would be cool to see a "reactor" module that boosts the stats of a ship (maybe just speed, maybe a global boost to things like firing rate, too), but only to the extent of providing a target to blow up and therefore weaken a ship. Or a Reactor module that must be activated and has a limited lifespan.

Other than that, I agree that ShipBuilder ships should have no limitations, so their abilities can be left up to the creator.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

MaxAstro wrote:Or a Reactor module that must be activated and has a limited lifespan.
Dems called Boosters. ;)
MaxAstro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MaxAstro »

lol, yes, I know, but I was thinking a booster-equivalent that affects a ships speed, acceleration, and/or turning radius. :)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Do we ever get to learn the scaling units of the modules? =P
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

Himura.Kenshin wrote:Do we ever get to learn the scaling units of the modules? =P
No you cannot scale modules, but it is in the wishlist of ShipMaker 3.0
gompasta
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

saved ships

Post by gompasta »

when i save one of my ships they are always (literatly) hidden in the custom ships file. how on earth do i upload them?
Im back :)
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Err, you could try saving them to your desktop?

You can upload stuff from your custom ships folder, when you upload just go to my computer > program files > battleships forever > custom ships.
Sean 'th15' Chan