(outdated) Guide of random shipmaking stuff you want to know

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

(outdated) Guide of random shipmaking stuff you want to know

Post by Lizzie »

This is a guide to random things I myself and others have learned over the course of making ships that other people may want to know, or that will help the budding ship builder circumvent certain issues and things like that.

Do not re-post things other have said in this thread. In this case redundancy is unnecessary and I will probably beat the hell out of you for it. If it's been posted elseware on the forums though and not here, that is acceptable.

----

1. Plasma Torpedoes do not recolor well so don't try with them.

2. Do not clone or mirror Do-dads it makes the game offset them when it loads the ship and that doesn't look at all pretty.

3. In order to recolor point beams, you must set the color in the "Outer color" option rather then the bullet color. The latter causes the game to crash.

4. Aegis glow is determined by both the color of the section and the glow. Try playing with both to get some interesting effects.

5. Make sure when your setting speed settings on a thruster to put it in decimals. (Unless of course you have hax speed) I made the stupid mistake of not doing that and it caused just one thruster to grind a ship to a screeching halt.

6 Custom pallet colors don't work. Either you'll have to remember the RGB values or just use the stock colors available for custom coloring.

7. When you set core health. The larger your ship is the more health sections farthest out of the core lose. It's not a noticeable amount but it might be wise to Custom HP your ablatives.

8. Larger map sizes actually generate more lag then smaller ones even with nothing on them. Testing your ship against another would be best on a smaller map.

9. When mirroring Frosch Guns or GluonBolters, certain areas for their data are set to "0" on the mirrored copy. On the Frosch Gun, the Bullet Speed is set zero, and on the GluonBolter it is Bullet Turning. To fix this simply click the "Edit" tab in the Shipmaker, click on the mirrored module, and change the entry for Bullet Speed or Bullet Turning to "-1" for its default setting. Also the two Fabricator modules have their Color setting set to black when they're mirrored. Thrusters sometimes also do it.

10. Some sections will offset when mirrored. Check your work.

----

If anyone wants to add to this list. Post it and I'll add it. If anyone wants to prove any of these otherwise false. Do the same, I'll look it over, and remove it from the list if your correct.
Last edited by Lizzie on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Re: Guide of random shipmaking stuff you'll want to know

Post by Ai_512 »

Lizzie wrote: 2. Do not clone or mirror Do-dads it makes the game offset them when it loads the ship and that doesn't look at all pretty.
The DooBlinkFade and DooBlinker actually mirror correctly, at least for me.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Lizzie wrote:7. When you set core health. The larger your ship is the more health sections farthest out of the core lose. It's not a noticeable amount but it might be wise to Custom HP your ablatives.
The section's rotation affects the HP too, though I forgot the details.
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

I very much endorse this thread.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

9. When mirroring Frosch Guns or GluonBolters, certain areas for their data are set to "0" on the mirrored copy. On the Frosch Gun, the Bullet Speed is set zero, and on the GluonBolter it is Bullet Turning. To fix this simply click the "Edit" tab in the Shipmaker, click on the mirrored module, and change the entry for Bullet Speed or Bullet Turning to "-1" for its default setting.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Piecewise66
BANNED

Post by Piecewise66 »

Its not uncommon for the mirror function to be a pixel off so always double check everything
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

AidanAdv wrote:9. When mirroring Frosch Guns or GluonBolters, certain areas for their data are set to "0" on the mirrored copy. On the Frosch Gun, the Bullet Speed is set zero, and on the GluonBolter it is Bullet Turning. To fix this simply click the "Edit" tab in the Shipmaker, click on the mirrored module, and change the entry for Bullet Speed or Bullet Turning to "-1" for its default setting.
Adding to this, the two Fabricator modules have their Color setting set to black when they're mirrored.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Rule nine and ten added.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Ixranin wrote:
AidanAdv wrote:9. When mirroring Frosch Guns or GluonBolters, certain areas for their data are set to "0" on the mirrored copy. On the Frosch Gun, the Bullet Speed is set zero, and on the GluonBolter it is Bullet Turning. To fix this simply click the "Edit" tab in the Shipmaker, click on the mirrored module, and change the entry for Bullet Speed or Bullet Turning to "-1" for its default setting.
Adding to this, the two Fabricator modules have their Color setting set to black when they're mirrored.
Don't forget lancet color.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Hmm. Don't know if this actually belongs here, but just to make sure:

Every time you open a ship in the Shipmaker, it reverts the core to stock colours. Be sure to recolor it if you want it in a different colour.

Hey, it does this for me, so yeah.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Might want to edit it into rule 9.

When placing a gluon bolter, make sure it isn't parented to the core, otherwise a game-stopping error will occur.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

Great guide! One things I've found, in addendum.
2. Do not clone or mirror Do-dads it makes the game offset them when it loads the ship and that doesn't look at all pretty.
I've found it is possible to get cloned or mirrored doodads to work, but it's hit-and-miss. Star Index sometimes resets?
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Guide of random shipmaking stuff you'll want to know

Post by Arcalane »

Lizzie wrote:2. Do not mirror anything ever, you pathetic excuse for a shipbuilder. Real men don't need the mirror function!
Fixed! :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness, almost all sections, weapons, modules and mirrored doodads will be offset or somehow screwed up, so for your own sake (and everyone else's?) try to avoid doing it. Some turrets will also be offset.

The issue stems from the fact that some parts are even height/width where others are odd height/width. The latter mirror correctly, but the former do not!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Edit to rule 10; to fine-tune placement of sections and weapons, use Ctrl + [arrow keys]. This will only move the selected section, and can thus not be used for group movements.

Not going to sticky it yet, since people always seem to ignore stickied threads. :?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

ArcaneDude wrote:Edit to rule 10; to fine-tune placement of sections and weapons, use Ctrl + [arrow keys]. This will only move the selected section, and can thus not be used for group movements.
Actually it's Shift + [arrow keys].

Ctrl + Shift + [arrow keys] group moves.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]