Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Xynus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Xynus »

1. you can't really necro a sticky as far as i'm aware.

2. your assumption is wrong. use a small civilian core with a custom section over it.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

First of all, you can't necro a stickie, and the post before you was only 4 days old.

and no, its not possible to use a section as a core.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

HailFire wrote:Sorry for the necro, but;

I've been working on a couple single-section ships (strike-fighters for a fleet). I've got no problems making the sections and getting them to work, but I have no idea how to use custom sections as cores (if it's even possible; I'm working on the assumption that the single-section ships are custom sections as cores, and not just a custom section over a core).

Help?
They are custom sections over cores, you just can't change the core sprite exept for the ones already in the game.
zchris13
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zchris13 »

This shipmaker is kicking my a**. But it's okay, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Speaking of, how would I make beamers that rotate all the way around like those on the Cronus?
(I'm not a total noob, I am searching for this. This post was mainly about how epic this shipmaker is. And how hard it's kicking my butt.)

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, found it. Under the first EDIT button. *facepalm*. I'll probably have to get used to it.

SUPER EDIT: ALRIGHT, A legit question this time.

Is it possible to change the parenting of a weapon/module?

What is a good range to set HP to for a bubble shield on a medium-large (slightly smaller than the Eos and other such ships) size ship?

I'm talking about this.
[url=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/]GO SEE DF. IT'S EPIC. AND SUFFERING FROM BEING TOO HARD TO GET USED TO ALSO.[/url]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

1) You can change Arc range in the edit tab or by clicking I or K when you have the wepaon selected.

2) Yes it is. Just select the weapon, then right click the section you want to parent it to and select 'Set parent'. Profit!

3) Depends entirely on your balancing standard. If you're going stock, I'd say set it to about four times the core HP. That's all arbitrarily of course, four times is the standard I use whenever I use a bubbleshield. Which is a rare occasion.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
zchris13
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zchris13 »

What is the difference between "Off frames" and "Off delay" under the edit1 menu of a section?

The tooltips don't help in this one.

EDIT: I think I sort of get this one. The "Off frames" is used for the "frames elapsed" option. "Off Delay" is ... I don't know.

Maybe the time (in frames) between receiving the off signal, and acting on it?
[url=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/]GO SEE DF. IT'S EPIC. AND SUFFERING FROM BEING TOO HARD TO GET USED TO ALSO.[/url]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Why don't you just read the manual and documentation?
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Kaelis wrote: Advanced component parameters and features
All components have additional parameters distributed between Edit, Ed2 and Eff tabs (to change tabs, press relevant buttons on the sidebar). These parameters range from fire rate for weapons to rotation settings for sections, and are used for advanced shipmaking features like custom weapon stats, rotating and moving sections, section effects, triggers, and more. For more information on how to use them, refer to forums.
If he did,I doubt it would make a difference.

Here is good beginners tutorial.I don't use triggers all that often so I don't know all the facets. I hope that Tutorial will help you out.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I said manual AND DOCUMENTATION.

Fun fact: there is a sticky called 'New Features Documentation'. Its right above this thread. Oh, and look, theres another one specifically for weapons and modules, titled 'Weapons and Modules Guide + New Weapons/Modules'. Cool, huh?
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Oh right. Usually I interpret both as one. In this case,the ingame manual.

And is it me or does being a 'announcement' actually make it harder to see?
When looking for a guide in the stickies I simply skimmed right over and missed it entirely.
zchris13
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zchris13 »

Kaelis wrote:I said manual AND DOCUMENTATION.

Fun fact: there is a sticky called 'New Features Documentation'. Its right above this thread. Oh, and look, theres another one specifically for weapons and modules, titled 'Weapons and Modules Guide + New Weapons/Modules'. Cool, huh?
I READ THE ENTIRETY OF THE WEAPONS AND MODULES GUIDE.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WEAPONS RIGHT NOW.

Oh, and thanks. I read that already, then forgot about it. *facepalm*

And it's exactly what I thought it was. *facepalm*
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

i have a noob question, What is WIP? :lol:
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Work In Progress.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm pretty sure of the answer, but is there a way to change the background ingame like I'm able to in shipmaker? Was going to load up a terrain map and have surface battles...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Not without modifying the executable, no.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ