Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DAikum
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DAikum »

Paint can make any format, just when you save goto Save-As and change the format to PNG or GIF
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

DAikum wrote:Paint can make any format, just when you save goto Save-As and change the format to PNG or GIF
Just be warned that it's shitty at saving to JPG.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
nu-ker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nu-ker »

ok thanks for the help :D
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

I'm getting these stupid orange glowy boxes around my ship, with ghost outlines of the sections their over. Any tips on removing them?
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

ODST wrote:I'm getting these stupid orange glowy boxes around my ship, with ghost outlines of the sections their over. Any tips on removing them?
Turn off surfaces and set glow to black that fixes it for me.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Lord Arachnos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lord Arachnos »

Ok I am on borrowed time so I can't check the forum, but can you make ships that seperate? e.g. U.S.S. Enterprise-D
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I was actually thinking about that the other day. There's no built in functionality, but you might be able to do it by using triggers to hide and retract part of a ship, while simultaneously deploying a look-alike front section via a ship deployer. It'd take quite a while to get the timing worked out, but it seems doable.
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Homer wrote:
ODST wrote:I'm getting these stupid orange glowy boxes around my ship, with ghost outlines of the sections their over. Any tips on removing them?
Turn off surfaces and set glow to black that fixes it for me.
Tried that. Didn't work. Unless I'm missing something. Could you describe exactly what you did?
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Lord Arachnos wrote:Ok I am on borrowed time so I can't check the forum, but can you make ships that seperate? e.g. U.S.S. Enterprise-D
You could make a ship separate it's two halves and use complex rotation/movement/triggers to simulate some sort of behavior, but both halves wouldn't function as two separate ships.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

i have search a guide to use custom weapon. I have no idea, in which folder i must copy the custom weapon. I had create a new fighter with custom weapon, but i have this error:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object __newobject1016:

Invalid format!

Custom sprites\Bullet Sprites\Tyrian_Shell06.PNG

Press ignore to replace with '?' sprite, or abort to terminate the game.

And the new weapon shining yellow. (They look like yellow shadows from the ship, syr i can't create a screenshot.)
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

turn capital PNG off in the file's name

so change Tyrian_Shell06.PNG > to > Tyrian_Shell06.png
firevikin125
Commander
Commander

Post by firevikin125 »

how do you put weapons under sections?
"A gargoyle's meat can be carved with an ordinary cleaver, but for its petrous hide . . ."
—Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar,
The Underworld Cookbook
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Firevikin - parent the weapon to a section beneath the covering section, then select the weapon and press 'w' to toggle depthing. Don't mirror depthed weapons though - a ton of errors shall be your reward. Though once mirrored, feel free to mirror and remirror around the weapons - it's only the initial copy that screws up.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Regarding the limit of code that Game Maker can execute in a chunk, anybody know the number of how much that is?

Trying to figure out if my ship project is too ambitious, considering I'll probably hit the 3k mark in lines of code.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Im afraid no one knows for sure. We don't even know if its the number of lines, characters, bytes, or instructions. And different things (sections vs weapons etc) take different amounts of code. That 3k lines is just a very rough guesstimate.