Weapon depthing - neat weapon layering trick

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Weapon depthing - neat weapon layering trick

Post by Darlos9D »

So, something I always found kinda odd about BF is that all the weapons seem to be set on top of the ships. Well, now you can hit the W key while a weapon is selected to make the weapon sit right on top of its parent section, in regards to layering.

So here's a neat trick to make weapons look like they're sticking out of the sides of sections: Make a section big enough to cover most of the gun except for the end or tip of it. Then, make a child section that is smaller than that section, and obscure it underneath the first section. Then, add a weapon to the obscured section, hitting W to put it at the same layer. Now just move the gun around until it sticks out of the top layer the way you want.

I made a screen shot that shows the result on a ship I made:

Maybe this idea was immediately obvious to a lot of you. I dunno. But just in case it wasn't, I thought I'd post it.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke
CmdrTimo
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: In the restaurant on the end of the universe. (or Seattle)

Post by CmdrTimo »

I've done something similar to this before, maybe useful for other first time ship builders.

Offtopic:Are you the same Darlos the modder for DarkStrom?
"War: The mad game the world loves to play." ~Jonathan Swift

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."-Chesty Puller
Burg Hammer Achtzehn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Burg Hammer Achtzehn »

CmdrTimo wrote:Offtopic:Are you the same Darlos the modder for DarkStrom?
Same name, same quote in the signature; there's a pretty good chance.

Either way, this is a good tip. Thanks Darlos.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

It IS the maker of [blatant advertandsellout]Darkstorm Enterprise for Cortex Command![/blatant advertandsellout]

Wow.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

Uh... yeah, thats me. I am indeed Darlos9D of the Cortex Command community. I didn't think that my reputation would precede me here.

Hopefully you'll see more of me around here. With this new release, I'm tempted to make a ballistics-based fleet. And I'll attempt to make it a balanced fleet, since I'm not too big on enormous capital ships. As far as the visuals goes, I'm thinking of making them all look like rather blocky hunks of metal. Should be fun.

I don't want to do any penis-waggling though. Judge me by my merits, folks! I work hard for approval.

So back on topic: are there any currently posted examples of ships that layer weapons under other sections? It'd be neat to see examples.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Um... No. The new version literally just came out the day before yesterday. We do have a transforming mech, though.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

People are working on it for the mini-fleet project, heh. I'll try and dig up screenshots that were posted in our IRC channel later. I thought I'd be the only person around here who would recognize your name.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Darlos9D wrote:So back on topic: are there any currently posted examples of ships that layer weapons under other sections? It'd be neat to see examples.
I have a few ships that use weapons depth:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/152727/Ship_ ... 0drone.png

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/152727/Ship_ ... rigate.png

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/152727/The_S ... _Grief.png
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

Neato. It definitely gives a more three-dimensional look.

I go make ships now.

EDIT: OH GOD THE BEE... uh, BUGS. My ship crashes the game. Boo hoo...
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Until we get a good animated screenshot exporter, you'll have to live with this.

The four sections on the right "rotate" around each other.

Course, it looks terrible once they start getting destroyed. :P
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It's called Shift-F9 + The GIMP. :P

Learn to use it, it's handy. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
The Fat Sand Rat
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Fat Sand Rat »

Ohai there Darlos.
Interesting method. Might this be coupled with rotating sections in order to achieve a cover on weapons when they're not firing?
Someone better than me should try it out.
[Insert witty, clever, and wise saying here.]
Agnitio Plus Ultra.
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

Ideally triggers would work better than rotating sections but as of now, the bugs are too crippling so we just have to stick to rotating sections.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

The Fat Sand Rat wrote:Ohai there Darlos.
Interesting method. Might this be coupled with rotating sections in order to achieve a cover on weapons when they're not firing?
Someone better than me should try it out.
Oh god they're following me.

But yeah, I was thinking of something like that myself. Though rather than rotating I was thinking sliding. So you could have some "arm" slide out, or have a part of the ship open up to reveal a weapon before firing it. This would look pretty sweet. I'd like to do it with some kind of missile launcher ship.

But as D00D says, the bugs are crippling. I can hardly load up normal ships half the time. Sigh...
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Arcalane wrote:It's called Shift-F9 + The GIMP. :P

Learn to use it, it's handy. ;)
Shift-F9 you say? Hmm... I hadn't seen that listed anywhere, but then there are a large number of hotkeys and no search function on the manual. The last animation I did I had to compile one screenshot at a time (and hit F9 for every one of them).

Ok, the shift-F9 isn't intuitive, it didn't give me any indication that it was ready for input and the area it captured had one corner at my mouse location prior to hitting the command, as opposed to F9's selector. Took me 3 tries to figure it out.

I apologize, it turned into a 1 MB gif image. There were 50 frames, and I did scale it to 50%. Should have frame-skipped, I guess.

View it here.