1. Grab gradient ball. The most commonly used sprite is fraxy_112 in the Fraxy section pack. ( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3513
2. Right-click on it and set the blend mode to additive.
3. Recolour and scale appropriately.
4. The white core (if needed) can be made with a second such white-coloured ball placed over the first one, with alpha and size reduced.
Similar effects can be achieved with gradient strips for hangar glows.
1. Select the appropriate section.
2. Go to the EFF tab, and change effect type to Fake Aegis.
3. Cut Alpha to very low (About 0.10) and up A. blur and spread to about 7-10.