Firestorm's Ship Of The Line tournament

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Firestorm's Ship Of The Line tournament

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

this is a tournament to build a ship that can defeat the other contestants, while still looking good. the weapons will we based on a points system, in combination with several formulas that I have devised to make weapons mods balanced. the 'beauty pageant' part will be judged by several judges that will not compete..

note that these are preliminary rules. I'm open to changing them.

also, I need participants, judges, and at least one mod to help keep this thread clean. anyone interested in the tournament or suggesting a change, post or PM, your choice.

Battle Ships Forever Tournament

Objectives: win by scoring the highest when judged.

Scoring: the judges will rate the ship against the requirements and decide on a score.

Requirements:
~sniped and undergoing revision~
JUDGING:
Ships will be judged out of a total of 100 points. Highest score wins. DQ’s result in an automatic zero in all categories.

40 points:
Aesthetics: How good does it look?
15 points: Overall shape.
Is the ships silhouette pleasing to look at? Does it look like a ship? Score:____________

15 points: Coloring, texturing, layering, ETC.
Does the inside of the ship look good? Does it add to or detract from the overall shape. Score:______________

10 points: Weapons, modules and other extras.
Do the effects added to the ship like weapons (EX: blaster), and modules (EX: deflector) add to the ship? Is any armor done well. Do combat features hurt the ship’s appearance?

BONUS: up to 10 points. Are there any features that make your jaw drop and go OMFGWTFROTFLWOW? Got cool aegis effects, engines done well, and awesome weapons effects? That goes here. Bonus:______________________

Apparent Combat effectiveness: 25 points. Is the ship successful in its combat role.

Minimum requirements are met: 5 points
Are any rules violated. If so, they have to chances to revise the ship before a DQ results. If there are no violations, the full points are received.

The ship has tactical strengths and weaknesses: 10 points.
Does the ship fit into a certain role and support a specific tactical use? If the ship is an all around powerhouse, or does it have strengths and weaknesses. Balanced ships are better.

Balancing: 10 points.
Is the ship destroyed in a cool way? Are all weapons at least somewhat effective? Tactics affect the outcome of a battle(a human could do better than PC)? Brute force shouldn’t be the most effective tactic.

The tournament: ships will face of in a two on two death match. Tournament winner gets full 35 points, each place lower gets less points. The tourney will be double elimination, players start opposite of each other on a 5k X 5k map. AI range will be 10k. One will be allied, the other enemy, then they will switch. If the same ship wins each time, they get the win. If the winner is dependent on control, aesthetic and combat effectiveness score will determine winner. The same will apply for stalemates (battles longer than 30min). Highest score in other categories will let that player chose their opponents.
Last edited by FIREST0RM000 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

:lol:
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

:lol:
no really, I'm serious. is it something specific, or do you find the whole Idea laughable?
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Actually, I stopped reading after:
FIREST0RM000 wrote:this is a tournament based on simple rules. you will make a ship that can, in a group of 2/3 (haven't decided yet, up for vote) be defeated by 2/3 real powerful ships ( probably memento mori's), but destroy the competition.
Go look at other tournaments. Then get back to me.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

This is an interesting idea, but I can't really say its a good one. The level of freedom you want isn't really compatible with a tournament; its much more suited to a beauty pageant. Also, your 'balancing' method is more than slightly absurd. Capable of defeating one ship while being thrashed soundly by another does put a cap on ship effectiveness, but it also limits the options of a designer. If I come up with a radically innovative way to defeat my opponents, I may be unable to use it because it can also defeat the dreadnoughts. In effect, the combat trial is meaningless because the limits are banned not based on a criteria for 'unfairness', but based on the very effectiveness the trial is supposed to measure.
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

(Except you. But then, you're about to be dead.)
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

This is an interesting idea, but I can't really say its a good one. The level of freedom you want isn't really compatible with a tournament; its much more suited to a beauty pageant. Also, your 'balancing' method is more than slightly absurd.
really, the power of weapons and combining them with modded weapons is the only part I'm not sure about. If I can figure out a better balancing method, this will work. I would just really like to avoid the charts, as I don't just want this to be another normal tournament. I can think of a cost system for modded weapons, but that makes it way more complicated. thoughts.

also, the point of this tournament is to encourage ships that look good AND kick ass. therefore, a table would make that much harder. 65% of the tournament is looks.
Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

It's just that having a beauty pageant and a tournament together doesn't make a lot of sense, for a couple of reasons. The biggest is balancing the needs of looks versus function, they tend to be inversely correlated. The only balancing mechanism you have, that the ship must be destroyed by these two dreadnoughts, is not related to any standard of comparison outside the ship's own combat abilities, which is what the tournament is based on.
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

(Except you. But then, you're about to be dead.)
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

It's just that having a beauty pageant and a tournament together doesn't make a lot of sense, for a couple of reasons...
do you think those could be over comed, or should I just have this thread killed and come back with a new set of rules. no guaranty it will be better though. I have some formulas in mind and there are a lot of other tournaments to draw from. do you think players could balance looks and combat? that is the challenge here.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:
It's just that having a beauty pageant and a tournament together doesn't make a lot of sense, for a couple of reasons...
do you think those could be over comed, or should I just have this thread killed and come back with a new set of rules. no guaranty it will be better though. I have some formulas in mind and there are a lot of other tournaments to draw from. do you think players could balance looks and combat? that is the challenge here.
Short answer: No, sorry. It's not gonna happen. It's almost never going to happen. Let it die, or request its closure.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

:cry: fine. if I haven't gotten some positive feedback in the next day, I'll kill it.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

... or you could work on it and make it better.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

... or you could work on it and make it better.
yay, that's one vote to actually improve this instead of scrapping and starting over. I suggested that before and I got a 'let it die' kind of response. I'll get some better rules and update it soon.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Firestorm's Ship Of The Line tournament

Post by Master Chief »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:The ship must consist of more than 30 sections.
Your ship should be, under AI control, defeated by a force of 2 memento mori class dreadnoughts.
No weapons imperceptibility will be less than 20%.
In the interests of frame rate, tachyon and Demeter weapons should be limited. If the frame rate falls below one for more than 30 seconds, the ship will be disqualified.
Aesthetics: How good does it look?
Is the ships silhouette pleasing to look at? Does it look like a ship?
Does the inside of the ship look good?
Do combat features hurt the ship’s appearance?
Are there any features that make your jaw drop and go OMFGWTFROTFLWOW?
Is the ship destroyed in a cool way?
I find all of the above in bold extremely hilarious, especially in the context of a tournament.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:There will be no more than one PD gun per 4 grid squares of width the ship occupies.
If you do try this, please try to word things more clearly. As it is now, this could very, very be interpreted as 'the amount of PD a ship can have is defined by its width,' also meaning that many dreadnoughts such as Exe's Ozymandius would only have 2 or 3 PD guns for the entire ship. I personally interpret it this way, but it seems somewhat.... skimpy?
FIREST0RM000 wrote:Impeders will be included as point defense, and cost 3 times what standard PD costs.
Also, this seems to reference a cost system, but I don't see a cost system.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I apologize for the typos, and any other funny wording there. It was originally for a newbie tournament I had, but most of those don't apply to better more experienced ship builders.

may I also request that this thread be locked TEMPORARILY until I finish the cost chart and exponential equations. If I'm feeling nice, I'll even program a calculator for it.