Meteor Attack!

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

it would be interesting to create a survival style minigame using asteroids as shields:

basically, continuosly spawn enemies with a single shot, long range, slow reload, high damage blaster, with some arbitrairaly large amount of health. give the player some rediculously o-p gravbeam, and have them use asteroids to try and block attacks (you can make the bullet speed slow) whoever survives the longest, wins :D (post video, enemy-on-screen count, w/e)

edit: true, lag would be a problem... but i guess you could make them literally core-gun ships to try and deal with that.
Last edited by lightstriker on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

That's actually a cool idea, except that it means that sooner or later, your game would lag horribly due to the fact that there would be numerous ships on screen. My suggestion to fix that would be to make them kamikaze, but have no sections, except that then they would be pretty ugly.

I can't think of any decent minigame ideas at the moment, but if I do, I'll post them.
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

:? Somehow everytime i get to the second wave...my game screen grays out...not blacks, grays. Wtf. But all I did was throw all the enemies with weapons into rocks and let the interceptors intercept nothing until the nano-glue&nails finishes.
LunarWind
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by LunarWind »

I have an idea for one, but I don't have the time to build it right now. In the interest of getting it built anytime soon, I'm going to share it.

I have a ship that I play around with called "Kineti-bomb". This ship consists of of 20 sections stacked on top of each other on each side. It has high speed and default stats otherwise. This ship is capable of destroying anything else with one hit if you Ctrl+D it while it is zooming towards them.

The game would consist of a large unwieldy freighter which you had to protect. It would have no weapons and only the bare minimum (maybe none) point defenses. Small raider type ships would spawn in to attack it, with high speed and small frames. Every wave you would get several "Kineti-bombs" with which to defend your freighter.

Here comes the strategy. Since Debris know nothing of IFF, it would be easy to accidentally destroy your freighter. At first, you may spawn with more bombs than targets, but this ratio would invert as the levels went on. Eventually, you could even have a 2 raider to 1 bomb ratio.

The freighter would have to have high health/armor and slow speed, while the raiders would have to have AI that makes them moving targets. (Maybe the AI used for the Fighter Pack by Skull13?) [*( Hell, maybe even use those fighters!)*]

Anyways, I thought it would be fun/challenging but have absolutely no time to build it. If you want, feel free to use my Kineti-bomb ship.

The Kineti-bomb:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... i-Bomb.shp

Also, I loved the "Meteor Attack" game. I had thought of doing something like that, but I'm glad you got to it first because mine wouldn't have been nearly as good. Excellent work.
Check out my ships at http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2803
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I just finished playing the newest version (which I had somehow missed), and I have to say, well done. You fixed the problem with the gluon platforms well, and added another useful platform. I made it to the zelus (and other small ships) spam wave, but my station had taken a lot of damage from the hestias, so I died in a few seconds. I have a few recommendations, firstly, you might want to nerf the zelus spam, or give a new platform, due to the fact that that many zelus (plural?) kill you as soon as they get close, and you can't push them away fast enough. Also, is the driver supposed to do damage, or did you just forget to change the damage?

On another note, I have an addition to your hints list, that is: pushing enemies behind asteroid fields (or asteroid fields in front of enemies) can help you stay alive longer, but note that if you push asteroids, they don't stop very easily.

Keep working on this, it's awesome.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Right now I'm sort of biding my time, garnering some new ideas so that I can make bigger releases rather than a bunch of small releases. I've currently got Flux Projectors, Spinning Aegis Shields, and a few other things on my list. I shall rebalance the Zelus and Hestia levels, indeed.

Also, the driver has to do damage in order for its point defense to work (that was the main goal of the driver). If you set it to zero, you get a divide by zero error when a projectile hits it.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

I just noticed something...I have a base that looks almost exactlty like the base we are supposed to control...maybe you should put a base in one the waves as a boss or something.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Normandy wrote:Right now I'm sort of biding my time, garnering some new ideas so that I can make bigger releases rather than a bunch of small releases. I've currently got Flux Projectors, Spinning Aegis Shields, and a few other things on my list. I shall rebalance the Zelus and Hestia levels, indeed.

Also, the driver has to do damage in order for its point defense to work (that was the main goal of the driver). If you set it to zero, you get a divide by zero error when a projectile hits it.
Interesting, I never knew that. You could set the damage to .01, that way it wouldn't really matter.

By the way, your additions sound awesome, I hope they work well.
Pyront
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyront »

Nice encounter, I liked hiding behind the astroids (pullie astroids to shield me) then throw metoers at the ships. :D