Ship classification system

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

What is your favorite type of ship

Fighter
25%
Frigate
No votes
Cruizer
25%
Platform
No votes
Battle Station
25%
Dreadnaught and above
25%

Total votes: 4

IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Ship classification system

Post by IBurn36360 »

It seems that most of the ships here on the database take on the class that their owners decide. I believe that a small contest should be held to help make a standard in ship classifications. If anyone has an idea, make an encounter displaying your theory, if it gets good feedback, I'll add it to the index for a Mass vote.

Here are the guidelines:

1. They have to focus on a type of ship from the above poll.
2. You must post the encounter with a desription of its system.
3. The test must get progressively harder to defeat.
4. Test object must be constant or close to constant.
5. The test must have something to do with the expected weaponry of each class.
6. Try to be nice, not everybody is as antitouchyfeely as I am.

Index:

Waiting for submissions
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Re: Ship classification system

Post by Jafo »

IBurn36360 wrote:I believe that a small contest should be held to help make a standard in ship classifications.
You are going to try to restrict people's creativity and enforce standards? Good luck. Not going to happen. This has been discussed before, and anybody who has their own system for ship size, naming conventions, weapon loadout and weapon strength is not going to be 'forced' into a set of 'standards' other than their own.
IBurn36360 wrote:It seems that most of the ships here on the database take on the class that their owners decide.
Yep, and that is the way it is going to remain. Some people like to create ships that are close to stock levels, and others vastly over-powered compared to stock ships. They can call their ships (for example) destroyer class and nobody has the right to tell them that one ship is a destroyer class and the other isn't.

About the only suggestions that are worthwhile reading are those that suggest that, within each person's set of ships, that relative strength might be an issue (eg. one of their 'destroyer' class ships is capable of killing off three of their 'dreadnought' class) - then it could be suggested to that person that they have made a mistake in their designs (note I said suggest, not insist/demand).

The only useful thing a standard encounter could be good for? - possibly evaluating relative ship battle prowess so that once you run your ship through the encounter gauntlet, you could then search for other people's ships that have been evaluated, find ones that are close in rating value so that you could run matches vs. ships that are close in strength. Do I think that everybody is going to want to run their ships through a system like this? - No, and they should not need to if they don't want to.
Magick
Captain
Captain

Re: Ship classification system

Post by Magick »

IBurn36360 wrote: Here are the guidelines:
No. You're wrong. There are no guidelines for ship submission/class. One can argue that the ship doesn't LOOK or isn't as GOOD/WEAK as another class, but the maker has all rights to tell that person to fuck off.*
IBurn36360 wrote: 1. They have to focus on a type of ship from the above poll.
Um. What? They HAVE to be a ship from your poll? That's fucking retarded. If i wanted to make a fanship with YOUR guidelines, it would be technically impossible. What if i wanted to make a Super Star Destroyer?
You: Nope, it isn't a destroyer*denied*
IBurn36360 wrote: 2. You must post the encounter with a desription of its system.
You mean like Pwhk's test? Yeah, we already HAVE a point system.
IBurn36360 wrote: 4. Test object must be constant or close to constant.
Too limiting.
IBurn36360 wrote: 5. The test must have something to do with the expected weaponry of each class.
EXTREMELY limiting. Not to mention that this entire argument is dumb as there are other systems of point-testing ships.
IBurn36360 wrote: 6. Try to be nice, not everybody is as antitouchyfeely as I am.
My god man, are you:
A. Insane
B. Ignorante
C. A babbling MORON
D. Struggling against a brain-void
?
There are lots of people who are, and i quote, "antitouchyfeely" on this forum. Some people make fun of noobs or pretend their content is great. Others chew them out. Some resort to attempting to help the noob, then chewing them out.

*Except if that person is a MODERATOR/ADMIN, in which they just cry the Mod/admin a river, build a bridge, and get the fuck over it.

Edit: Also, there are custom names missing from the poll, such as Defense Station, Monitor, and the like.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no. I'll stick with my own form of ship classification thank you.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Fine
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Well, I'll lock this before it devolves more.

A forum standard won't work for reasons mentioned above. Best to keep standards and guidelines to things like tournaments.