Dual Duel Tournament: Lightweight Results

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Dual Duel Tournament: Lightweight Results

Post by HalfThere »

Bonnie+Clyde V. Battleship+Frigate

Round 1
Clyde and Bonnie rush Battleship, ignoring Frigate. Clyde gets on top of it while Bonnie circles around, each producing blaster vollies that would be crippling if not for Battleship’s incredible 5 PDs.
The Clyde gets an outer back section blown off fairly quickly by the Frigate’s mega beams, then goes back into the fray with Battleship. Soon enough, Clyde is blown to smithereens.

During this time, all the other ships have lost no sections, barring one frontal ablative on Battleship. Still, even the Battleship’s formidable PD hasn’t been able to protect it’s exposed rear completely. Bonnie has taken it to under half health.
Still, we never find out what would happen in a Bonnie V. Frigate match, as frigate destroys Bonnie soon enough afterwards (Despite having a hard time hitting with its inaccurate mega beams).

Round 2
This time a more aggressive Bonnie and Clyde rush in to dispatch the front three ablative sections of the Battleship. Afterwards, however, history repeats itself. The Clyde loses its three sections more or less simultaneously, leaving the core stranded and quickly dead. Bonnie then experiences targeting troubles, frequently acquiring Frigate with one of its blasters while shooting battleship with the other.
It, too, dies quickly and without making a significant additional dent in Battleship.

Winner: Battleship + Frigate!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Bummer.

This goes to show however there are some balance issues with a 2v2, one significantly more powerful ship and a light defender is more powerful than a pair.

That is not however to say, my design did NOT come into play with team Empty losing. Better luck next time!

EDIT: My suggestion is to make PD more expensive for lighter ships, since a small ship with several PDs can be pretty unstoppable.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Well, we all know that big ships are ship magnets.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Well that's great, such a weakness, having the enemy attack your best ship *rolleyes*
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

No, they pretty much always lock onto ship that has the best combo of biggest and closest.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

There are still some matches to run yet, I'll get the other two up today, and then do the unofficials.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

Yay for my apathetic naming scheme :D

Anyway, that went pretty much as I planned, and out of interest how much did my nanomatrix on Frigate actually do?
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

Battleship + Frigate V. Gemini + Gemini

Round 1
The Gemini both head straight for Battleship, utilizing their superior speed to circle behind it and ignoring it’s PD with their scatterbeams.
Frigate does some damage to the Gemini, getting behind them with its mega beams, but it’s too slow and inaccurate to prevent them from destroying Battleship, at which point the match is essentially over.
Both Gemini turn around to demolish Frigate

Round 2
The Gemini Head in for the kill in a manner identical to round 1, subduing Battleship and Frigate even faster this time. The slaughter…

Winner: Gemini + Gemini!

And Elvin, I can't really judge what difference the Nano made, but it didn't seem like a big factor in either match.
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Nanos are WAY too slow to work well singularly, at least in combat.
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

Yeah, seems like I wasted 15 points. Ah well.

If I get around to entering again i'll remember that
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Should have spent those points on more guns/more armor :P
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

Well, you see there's a problem. That problem is the reason why I'm taking so long to post Gemini + Gemini Vs. Bonnie + Clyde. What is the problem? You'll see.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Because they all have innacurate wepaons and flanking AI. Leading them to continually go around in circles and regenerate any damage taken [because sections heal to 50% when they stop getting hurt]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I smell hax.

You didn't plan on Endless Waltz? :lol:
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

I hope I win it, that would make it a threeway tie if Halfthere's ships actually counted.