Dual Duel Tournament: Lightweight Results

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

I'll just post descriptions, I'm too lazy to do photos. (but they'll be good descriptions)

Gemini + Gemini V Bonnie + Clyde

Round 1
Both Gemini acquire Clyde, rushing in to face it. Clyde’s turning and deflectors allow it to whether the onslaught after an initial loss of one of it’s rear quad blaster-housing sections. Clyde and Bonnie both fire on one of the Gemini, even bringing down it’s deflector, but unable to destroy anything during that time. The Clyde is destroyed, leaving Bonnie alone against the two Gemini. Does the little ship stand a chance?

As it turns out, yes. The Bonnie and two Gemini circle around each other, the Bonnie plinking away with one blaster and missing with its missile. Time for a TIE-BREAKER!

The ships are set up, and while the Geminis quickly fall into the same spot, chasing the Clydes, the twin Bonnies chase them in turn. The Clyde takes some damage, losing a rear section, but withdraws at a rate and range just right to keep it from too much peril yet still able to blast away with its quads. A Gemini dies, causing the others to scatter. One comes in at Clyde from a different angle, blowing off another rear section. It’s too little too late though. One by one, the Geminis are whittled away under the blaster fire, until finally only the Bonnies and Clyde remain.

Round 2
The Geminis move in, quickly demolish the Clyde then start circling around the Bonnie. I move on to tie-breaker. The new Clyde is destroyed, and the remaining Bonnies (2 whole, one damaged) and the Geminis (4 whole) start circling each other again.

This time, I place two sets of ships behind each contestant. The result? Well, the Clydes get destroyed again, and now the Bonnies and Geminis are circling each other in TWO places, far enough removed that they don't interfere with each other. It looks ALMOST as if the Bonnies have enough firepower to finish off the Geminis, but they don't. The Deflectors get back up too quickly, the blasters are too inaccurate (and placing them each at 30 degree tilts was a bad idea, as only one fires during the circling)

Things are starting to get a bit cramped, but I put new sets of ships behind each circle, such that they're in two parallel columns. Again, the Clydes get destroyed, as do several Bonnies and a couple. In the end, there's 2 Bonnies circling about 10 Gemini. I decide, at this point, to reboot the match, as clearly things aren't going anywhere.

Round 3
A lot like round 2, except that after two tiebreakers it looks like the Bonnies will be able to break the Gemini... But they can't.

I've made my decision based on the fact that while the BC team can destroy the GG team with a moderate amount of luck, the GG team is incapable of killing the Bonnie without extraordinary manipulation. Not to mention, a Bonnie can hurt a Gemini but not vice-versa. Therefore, the
decision is made:

WINNER: Bonnie + Clyde!

Rankings and analysis to be posted later.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

HELL YEAH! :D
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

lol, three-way tie. I knew I should've set one to Normal AI.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

Analysis

Bonnie and Clyde by Empty

The Clyde was fairly well-conceived as a mixture of toughness, mobility, and firepower. Unfortunately, the choice of blasters meant it could be offensively negated by PD. Also, the odd section choices and relatively low HP meant it was not as good a tank as intended.

The Bonnie was a good idea, but two things brought it down. A general lack of firepower meant that in the time the Clyde could tank before being crippled, it wasn’t able to deliver great firepower. The tilted blasters also prevented it from targeting the Gemini with both when they were in loops, meaning that almost half its firepower could never be brought to bare.

Battleship and Frigate by Elvin

The Battleship made for a relatively effective tank, but for its painfully slow turning rate which, along with an unguarded rear, meant the flanking Geminis could dispatch it with ease. PD was a good choice, though perhaps used in excessive quantities.

The Frigate was a good ship in shape and mobility, but the nano matrix wasted 15 points, or almost 40% of its contents. More offense, speed and durability would have served it far better.

Gemini X 2 by Ixranin

The Gemini was a ship of exemplary design. The scatterbeams get in close and deal fast, extensive damage. They’re almost unstoppable, but for their low range which turned out to be the fatal flaw. The defensive configuration was also excellent, making geminis extremely tough to kill because of the dominant deflector and reinforced section. Unfortunately, using just one type of ship is a double-edged sword. While the Gemini’s synergized with eachother against the Battleship and Frigate, the lack of movement diversity thwarted its efforts against the Bonnie and Clyde, not allowing it to effectively flank or herd its enemies. The tiny profile was very important to its success.

Venus + Serena (unofficial entry by HalfThere)
The Venus effectively demolished both heavier opponent ships (the Battleship and Clyde) with its tachyon repeater, but its awful mobility meant it would have succumbed to their lighter partners if not for the deadly Serena. Unfortunately, the Geminis made fairly short work of the duo. The Serena's railguns missed the tiny Geminis once the Venus (which couldn't gain momentum with its tach repeater, due to switching between the targets) was dispatched, and was gradually backed into a corner.

That's it! The Lightweights are 100% complete.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

3way tie, hugs all round! :D