Boss Rush: Team BETA

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Doesn't mean you can't maximize the amount of quads on a ship though.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

sorry all, i'm back :)
we're still avoiding lancet spam right? i hope so at least, it's just... unfulfilling frankly.
and @ masterchief: yes your's got pwned versus a mothership, but that's to be expected (it's why we have the triangle)

also, does anyone know if v4 still needs work or is it looking better?
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

ASM, the lancets are because weapons are innefective with Boxale, and so it can get some kickass richochet's inside neon illusion.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

We don't have a strong answer for the Neon Light Illusion (NLI) ship. The Torpedo Boat MKI is the only ship that can damage it, and it takes a long time for the splash damage from the Plasma Charges to break through. I ran our current fleet against the NLI mock-up (see below) in an encounter to test. If we lose the Torpedo Boat we are in trouble, and it would seem to all depend on how well armed the NLI is.

As posted by Ixranin...

Same picture but enhanced to see the structure...

Note that there is a pair of small openings at the back for weapons to get past the Aegis shielding but it is so small I doubt we will have much luck. Otherwise the ship is completely surrounded by Aegis shields. The ship is facing facing down and to the left (note the way the boosters are pointing). The Aegis had me puzzled until I realized that in the Ship Maker the Aegis generator points one way, and in game it points the other way (since this is an in-game picture, the Aegis generator is pointing the opposite way from within the Ship Builder (it caused a lot of confusion initially when I tried to create a mock-up).

Here is my mock-up of the Neon Light Illusion (sampling of weapons completely at random as is HP, Speed, etc.):

Neon Light Illusion mockup download link

Last edited by Jafo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

lightstriker wrote:also, does anyone know if v4 still needs work or is it looking better?
During my runs with our fleet against the Mothership2 and against the NLI mockup, your ship handled everything perfectly. In 20-30 encounter runs (vs. Mothership2) I have only seen it die once.
BoVinE wrote:ASM, the lancets are because weapons are innefective with Boxale, and so it can get some kickass richochet's inside neon illusion.
Hopefully your Boxale actually overruns ships because if you are going to get the richochets within the NLI you are going to have to fire from inside its boundaries.

- - - - - - - - - -

I found during testing that my Tintenfisch was dieing too fast and not contributing enough. So I tossed that design completely away and have been testing with this ship. It matches the rest of the fleet much better and frequently provides fly-by healing to almost every ship in our fleet as the battle rages on. So drop the Tintenfisch from the front page and replace it with the Chlorine.

Chlorine download link
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

What is the sole laser on that thing for? To use up points?

Also, those massive armor pieces on the sides are going to end up as a liability.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Want a suicide tachyon boat? That should kill the NLI good.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

well, that's true... however wouldn't a suicide lancet work better? (making certain assumptions of course)]

also, thanks jafo, glad to hear it's doing better. We should probably check up with both aidan (maybe he's made some revisions?) and mtheminja (has anyone actually heard from him? the one ship he's posted is illegal and as such more or less worthless, so i don't know what's going on with that)

and @ jafo- it looks much better, not sure what the purpose of the beamer is (of course, it could be usefull as an non interuptable weapon...)
also, you might want to shrink the large side sections a bit (heightwise, assuming you can) as they seem to be a bit too close to the edge of the aegis'd piece for comfort.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't run a suicide ship or a ship completely dedicated to taking this out. That's 1/8th of our points that will be nearly useless against the rest of the bosses.

@Jafo, it doesn't do too badly even with its giant armor pieces poking out the sides. Also, can you fix the NLI post, its a nice mockup, but putting the pictures side by side is breaking the frames.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

well, a suicide tachyon/lancet would probably be able to kill at least a couple of weapons and possibly destroy a key section for other bosses, so it might be worth it... we could just test run a quick mock up of one against the mothership and see if it accomplishes anything.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Here's an update of the Cuddlefish if anyone wants it. We can stick lancets on it if we really want to. It survives the last mothership pretty well.

I'm not really sure if it has any advantages over the old one, but I think its a little more front damage proof.

http://files.filefront.com/Cuddlefish+A ... einfo.html

I'm still not sure what type of ship I should submit. Does anyone have any opinions on that? I don't have any ideas on how to bust the Aegis or else I would have an aegis buster like arbalest. Pulse guns maybe?
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Personally, I'm thinking of going the pulse gun spam method for Heliotrope Mk III. That frees up some points for extra section and section reinforcement. Not to mention speed, if I feel that it's not going to turn into a uncontrollable lump of crap if I continue to increase further. Although I'm getting bogged down with RL commitments, I'll see what I can do in the meantime or when I'm (thankfully) free.

EDIT: Was just thinking, would gat-pulses perform better against these hulking bosses than regular pulses?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

lightstriker wrote:and @ jafo- it looks much better, not sure what the purpose of the beamer is (of course, it could be usefull as an non interuptable weapon...)
also, you might want to shrink the large side sections a bit (heightwise, assuming you can) as they seem to be a bit too close to the edge of the aegis'd piece for comfort.
The beamer (Tracker actually for 360 degree target acquisition) was put in as an afterthought to be able to at least hit a really fast mover (as one of the bosses is reputed to be). I really don't know if it will be doing any good on its lonesome though.

The side sections are very deliberately created with the height in mind - one of the rules for Aegis is that you can't completely cover an entire side with Aegis shielding, so the sides are poking around the Aegis shield by design - they are re-enforced so can take some punishment. And even if the sides are blown off, the meat of the ship is tucked in behind the Aegis shield (also by design).
antisocialmunky wrote:@Jafo, it doesn't do too badly even with its giant armor pieces poking out the sides. Also, can you fix the NLI post, its a nice mockup, but putting the pictures side by side is breaking the frames.
Sorry about that - fixed. I didn't see any issue on the two computers I have used to view the forum so was not aware. Thanks for the notification.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

jafo-good reason, and you're right, i guess we haven't really been thinking about the quick one... that could be a problem, might end up dropping one more flak for faster turning...

anyhoo, as we still haven't gotten a confirmed end-date, i would like to request that (if it ends up being before the 26th) someone sends the v4 to ixranian for me, as i will not be here (sorray)

also, if anyone wants to tweak it a bit feel free.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

lightstriker wrote:well, a suicide tachyon/lancet would probably be able to kill at least a couple of weapons and possibly destroy a key section for other bosses, so it might be worth it... we could just test run a quick mock up of one against the mothership and see if it accomplishes anything.
No.
More damage can be dealt the longer all ships survive, so killing one off makes no sense.