Boss Rush!

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

AidanAdv wrote:Well, I think I fixed everything.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... o_Boat.zip

Torpedo Boat

Point Breakdown:
12- Sections
3- Acceleration
16- Speed
5- Turn Rate
2- 1x Core HP Increase
27- 27x Section HP increases
24- 12x Plasma Charges
4- 2x Point Beams
8- 2x Deflector Modules
= 100 points
Hmm... You sure you didn't upload the wrong version? The one you just linked has 24x Section HP increases, 1 Deflector, and the Core HP increase only costs 1 point not 2 points.

Besides that, once Aidan's ship is fixed, Team Beta is ready to go.

If I can get Iron Ham's ship, then there would be enough ships to combine Team Alpha and Delta. Otherwise, Alpha is missing 3 people and Delta 5. While it could be possible to run Team Delta using Venator's multiple submissions... Team Alpha would still be missing ships and there are no reserves to fill those spots.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I guess I must have, this should be the fixed one.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

The Torpedo Boat totaled to 97 points. (Aidan's point chat totals to 101.) To avoid delaying this longer, I put 1 point into the core HP to bring it to 450 and put the remaining 2 points into section HP on the two square pieces.

With that, Team Beta is ready to go. Team Alpha/Delta though...
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

well, the good new is that this is not a direct competition, so you have something to do while waiting :)
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Yeah, just run our's first.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

I'm not in this competition, but I'm still wondering what's up with the Neon ship, is plasma the one and only way to defeat it?

A thermal image (aka tweaking the saturation levels) reveals in clear detail what was previously almost too dark to see, it shows that the outer sections are all aegised and the bright colours come from the boosters not the aegis.
Last edited by Water_and_Wind on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Water_and_Wind wrote:Image
I think we already knew that. The usage of plasma is to breach the Aegis and wreck the non-Aegised sections (the boosted sections). Hopefully it wrecks the NLI's outer Aegis shell due to parenting. Once we have a significant number of sections down the rest of our ships can then switch from a distracting role to one which can deal a considerable amount of damage to the boss. Which is our strategy, I guess. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Water_and_Wind wrote:I'm not in this competition, but I'm still wondering what's up with the Neon ship, is plasma the one and only way to defeat it?

A thermal image (aka tweaking the saturation levels) reveals in clear detail what was previously almost too dark to see, it shows that the outer sections are all aegised and the bright colours come from the boosters not the aegis.
As MC has stated, we decided to go the route of plasma to handle the Neon.

Another tactic would have been to have a ship with zero or (approx.) -150 AI range that would overfly the Neon and drop lancets or tachyons inside the Aegis shields. These two weapon types would bounce around inside the shields and could do massive damage. The problem with this approach is that it limits the usefulness of the ship designed to do that to being probably very good against the Neon but possibly very weak against all the other Boss ships. With the plasma weapon approach we hope to wear down the Neon and still have the ships be useful against the other Boss ships.

You could also use the same AI range combined with (for example) mining beams to do some close range (inside the Aegis shielding) firing. So, no, plasma is not the only way to attack a ship of this type.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I think one fo the other teams was going the demeter spam route to fix it.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

The neon light illusion's difficulty, I feel, will depend more on its speed than anything else. Against ASM's mockup, plasma was nearly worthless due to fast speed and lots of PD. Against a more firepower heavy, but less mobile ships, a wider variety of strategies would probably take it down.

Also, Kamikaze ships, I've found in testing, can be amazingly effective.

Finally, I urge Ixranin to release all the bosses to the public after the team's ships are finalized. It'd be really fun to test my own personal team against them.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Read the earlier posts, I've made a ballistic ship for use against the neon glow, it chewed it right up. [Debris damages aegised sections]
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

I've seen the Neon Light Illusion's walling broken by Blasters before, though it took an extremely long time to do it that way.
HalfThere wrote:Finally, I urge Ixranin to release all the bosses to the public after the team's ships are finalized. It'd be really fun to test my own personal team against them.
Can do.

Team Beta's match against the Ancient Defender has been uploaded and can be found under the Ancient Defender's description in the first post. Don't mind the music. <_<

Damage Report:
-Boxale - Most sections lost, including one Aegis.
-BoxOGuns - No significant damage received.
-Chlorine - One rear section lost.
-Diverter 6 - Lost in action.
-Heliotrope mkIVB - Lost in action.
-lolplasmafish - Lost in action.
-Plea for Death - No significant damage received.
-Torpedo Boat - Port armoring lost.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Wow, congrats to everyone for our first victory. I'm very pleased that all our ships worked so well especially which ever one it was that just sat over the enemy core lol.

MVP has to goto PfD. That thing is probably one of the best distracto-ships I've seen. Good job, M.

Also, that was a great boss design.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Congratulations, to everyone on Team Beta, especially Mtheminja and BoVinE for their outstanding ingeniousness in tournament design. Plea for Death and Boxale were the two which won it for us this round, distracting and also absorbing a crapload of fire. So well done, guys.

My only wish now is that Heliotrope doesn't get owned too badly the next time around. :P

EDIT: One of the other bosses has been spied in action!
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

I will second what ASM posted - nice looking boss design on the first ship, I really liked the variety of weapons that you had on the load-out. That was a good tough fight - congrats Team Beta on our first victory!