Boss Rush!

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Boss Rush!

Post by Ixranin »

================== NEWS / UPDATES ==================

7/28/08 - Ship submission deadline is past. GET SHIPS IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
7/22/08 - G.T. balancing complete.
7/22/08 - Ancient Guardian balancing complete.
7/15/08 - The weapon Revolver Weasel has been removed.
7/15/08 - SHIP SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 27th
7/8/08 - The weapon Dusk has been resitricted to 4 per ship.
7/8/08 - Teams Alpha and Beta are full.
7/1/08 - Checking for interest. No deadlines atm.

================== INTRO ==================

Brave captains, we call upon you in this time of tumult. Under normal circumstances, threats come up one-at-a-time and can be handled by us, but things happened differently this time. Instead of a single problem arising, we suddenly have our hands full with six giant ships attacking our systems in addition to various smaller ships. We're simply not equipped to handle such a threat, so we're calling on you, who've had the experiance combatting alien motherships, to aid us in resolving this conflict by taking out the enemy's "bosses".

================== THE BOSSES ==================

ANCIENT DEFENDER:

Description: An ancient beast with a solid shell from the plant Tirmus, it has been awakened during the recent conflict and is now blocking a vital shipping route that passes near its planet. It must be removed to ensure our supplies do not run out.
Tips: Powerful and slow, the Ancient Defender is easy to outrun and circle, but be careful of its tail.

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

STRANGER AEONS:

Description: Apparently a ship stolen from The Legion, but luckily for us it was an unarmed frame. They were, however, busy equipping it with numerous weapon systems, and since it is a former Legion ship it is not to be taken lightly.
Tips: The Stranger Aeon's engines have failed, rendering it immobile but still able to turn. Strike it down before it escapes!

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

BERDYSZ:

Description: The trio of personal battleships used by the warlord "Sabbath" to wreck havok in the Epsilon Sector. The ships have reinforced armor and can engage targets in three directions at once with their guns. They always move as a group of three, never more, never less, so pay careful attention not to become trapped between them.
Tips: A single Berdysz is easy to tank... but don't let yourself be surrounded. They start the battle more spread out then the screenshot.

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

BURST OUT:

Description: We're unsure the origin of this ship, but it's suspected it belongs to a top-rank pirate. The ship is a handful due to its speed being so high for its size, and it packs a pair of powerful Twin Blasters which rip through its helpless targets. We've lost many ships to whoever commands this, so it's time we put a stop to his plans.
Tips: In Soviet BSF, boss flanks YOU!

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

NEON LIGHT ILLUSION:

Description: This mysterious beast began harrasing outposts only several days ago. So far recon has only found out that it is made of some sort of transparent material containing glowing pouches, which has an invulnerable shell surrounding it.
Tips: Study the set-up closely...

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

G.T.:

Description: This massive battleship appeared out of nowhere and destroyed our starbase in the Nu Sector. It's armed to the teeth with a vast array of different guns, making staying in front of it a plea for death. While it's engines look rather exposed, they're bulky because their armoring is similar to the rest of the ship.
Tips: This may be a good time to take up dentistry.

- vs. Team Alpha
- vs. Team Beta

- - - - -

???:

Description: NA
Tips: NA

================== SHIP CONSTRUCTION ==================

Code: Select all

You begin with 100 points to construct your ship.

The first task before you is to choose a ship class. This will affect all aspects of your ship, due to the variance in cost between the classes. These classes are Battleship, Cruiser, & Frigate. 

Once you have chosen your ship’s class, it will dictate how you spend the points allotted for the tournament. Each faucet of the ship has a cost associated which is based upon the ships size. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Attribute--|--Battleship---|----Cruiser----|----Frigate---- 
Core HP    | 1 point/50    |  1 points/25  | 1 point/10 
Base HP    |      500      |      400      |    300 
Max Speed  | 1 points/0.10 | 1 points/0.15 | 1 points/0.20 
Accelerate | 1 points/0.01 | 1 points/0.02 | 1 points/0.05 
Turning    | 1 points/0.08 | 1 points/0.14 | 1 points/0.20 
Sections   | 1 points/2    | 1 points/1    | 2 points/1 
Sec.HP Base|      200      |      150      |      100 
Sec.HP Add | 1 points/250  | 1 points/200  | 1 point/150 

While looking at the blank ship, set the Core’s HP to the Base HP value that appears in the column of the ship class you have chosen, and the Max Speed, Acceleration, and Turning to zero. From here you should decide how many points you plan to allocate to the basics of the ship. 

You can spend as many points on these attributes and have as many sections as you can afford. As you buy sections, you should set their Custom HP to the value listed in the Sec.HP Base row so that you don’t forget to do it later. You may want to consider strategically beefing up certain sections, though in most cases it’s better to just add ablative sections meant to be lost. 

Keep in mind, though, that you will have a set number of points, and no battle was ever won purely by defensive measures. 

As far as AI goes, any AI can be selected and any AI Range set. Keep in mind that the AI Range is the distance your ship will try to keep between its core and the enemy’s, so it really should be no farther than your shortest ranged weapon. Though weapons mounted father back than the core will have their effective range reduced. 

At this point, you’ve more than likely spent around half of the points, and hopefully have some idea what you want your killing machine to wield. Yet now comes the hard part. Where and how should you mount the instruments of your will? 

Should you attempt to cover all angles of attack, or trust that your ship can turn fast enough to keep the opposition in its sights? Should you invest in your active defenses, or pour all your resources into firepower? 

Attribute--------|----Cost-----| Limit per ship
=Projectiles=====|=============| 
Pulse Gun--------|----- 1 -----| 
Gatling Pulse----|----- 2 -----| 
Blaster Cannon---|----- 1 -----| 
Gatling Blaster--|----- 3 -----| 
Quad Blaster-----|----- 3 -----| 
Repeater Gun-----|----- 1 -----| 
Tachyon Cannon---|----- 2 -----| 
Tachyon Repeater-|----- 8 -----|
Tachyon Driver---|----- 3 -----| 
Plasma Charge----|----- 2 -----| 
Missile Launcher-|----- 1 -----| 
=Beams===========|=============| 
Mining Beam------|----- 1 -----| 
Scatter Beam-----|----- 2 -----| 
Beamer-----------|----- 3 -----| 
Shock Beamer-----|----- 2 -----| 
Mega Beam--------|----- 4 -----| 
=Point=Defense===|=============| 
Flak Cannon------|----- 2 -----| 
Particle Gun-----|----- 2 -----| 
Point Beam-------|----- 2 -----| 
=Misc============|=============| 
Demeter Launcher-|----- 2 -----| 
Demeter Pod Lchr-|----- 12 ----| 2 
Weasel Gun-------|----- 3 -----| 
Pulsar Gun-------|----- 4 -----| 
Sidewinder-------|----- 2 -----| 
Railgun----------|----- 4 -----| 
=Modules=========|=============| 
Gosling Launcher-|----- 3 -----| 
Nano Matrix------|----- 15 ----| 1 
Gravitic Impeder-|----- 6 -----| 
Platform Faber---|----- 8 -----| 
Impeder Faber----|----- 6 -----| 
Dieterling Device|----- 12 ----| 1
Flux Projector---|Not Avaliable|
Booster----------|----- 5 -----| 2 
Aegis Deflector--|----- 8 -----| * 
Deflector Shield-|----- 4 -----| ** 
Teller Torpedo---|----- 2 -----| 
Gluon Bolter-----|----- 3 -----| 
Lancet Beam------|----- 6 -----| 2 
Frosch Gun-------|Not Avaliable|
Gravity Beam-----|----- 5 -----| 
Rorschach--------|----- 4 -----| 
=================|=============| 

Attribute--------|----Cost-----| Limit per ship
Twin Cannon------|----- 2 -----| 
Dusk-------------|----- 3 -----| 4
Assault Tachyon--|----- 2 -----| 
Scorpion Rockets-|----- 1 -----| 
Military M.Beam--|----- 3 -----| 
Tracker----------|----- 4 -----| 
Light Railcannon-|----- 4 -----| 

Twin Cannon: weapon|Blaster|37.50|10|2|32|11|-1|-1|-1|-1|Twin Cannon|-1|180|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1
Dusk: weapon|GatBlaster|22.50|-1|1|84|98|-1|950|0|-1|Dusk|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1
Assault Tachyon: weapon|Tachyon|22.50|-1|-1|55|-1|-1|420|-1|-1|Assault Tachyon|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1
Scorpion Rockets: weapon|Missile|37.50|5|6|-1|8|-1|-1|10|0.90|Scorpian Rockets|-1|150|-1|-1|0|1|-1|1|1

Military M.Beam: weapon|MiningBeam|35|-1|2|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1.75|Military M.Beam|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1
Tracker: weapon|Laser|180|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1.50|Tracker|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1

Light Railcannon: weapon|Railgun|22.50|5|3|-1|17|-1|-1|1|-1|Light Railcannon|-1|-1|-1|-1|75|-1|-1|1|1
Shield Rules:

* You may only have 1 Aegis Deflector per 6 sections, not counting your core. The Aegis module may not overlap an Aegised section. They may not be used with standard Deflector Shields.

* A single Aegised section may not fill an arc from the Core which is greater then 90 degrees.

* Aegis shields may not completely cover one side of the ship from attack. Aegis'd sections must have at least 10 degrees of space between them, when measured from the core.

** You may only have 1 Deflector Shield per 3 sections, not counting your core. They may not be used with Aegis Deflectors.

Parenting/Section Rules:

- All ships must have logical parenting; weapons/modules must sit on the sections they are attached to and parented sections must touch.

- Sections may overlap, but only up to 25%. If more then 25% of one of the sections is overlapping another, it is not valid.

- Sections can be resized a maximum of 3 times, but for every expansion, it must be shrunk in the opposite direction. So, you can expand the length but you will have to shrink the width for every expansion. If you plan on shrinking something, you don't have to expand it. Aegis'd sections may NOT be modified.

- A section has no restriction to the number of other sections that may be parented to it.

- You may not use the Defense Platform, Small/Tiny, or the Civilian core.

- The blue circle of the core may not be covered, but the rest can.

Weapons and Modules:

- Each section may parent at most two modules/weapons. This also applies for the core.

- Each weapon uses a 90 degree arc unless otherwise specified or is 360 by default.

- Weapons and Modules may touch, but not overlap each other. (Only in their default position, so if they overlap when they turn towards a target, that's fine.) They may however, completely overlap a section.

- Weapons and Modules cannot be resized. Nor can any of their stats be changed except for color, with one exception: You may change a Missile Launcher's "Launch Arc" stat to whatever you want.

Additional:

- Your team must submit a screenshot showing the positions the ships will start in. If you do not, I will simply spawn whichever ship looks most tank-like up front, and the rest in a line behind it. If you want your ships to be more spread out then a screenshot allows, you may either zoom out, or take multiple screenshots as long as you make sure to include the minimap.

- - - - -

How the Battles Work:

* The map will be 5000x5000. AI range can be considered infinite.
* The Playing Field: The boss(es) will start near the top-right corner, the players will start in the bottom-left corner. (Your may place ships anywhere in the lower-left half of the map for your starting position.)
* The battles are all seperate. This means that ships are not reused, but rather respawned for every new battle.
* The boss designs are already complete. I will not change the shape, weapons, or modules of any of the first 6 bosses; I'm still tweaking HP and movement values though, but nothing major. (The final boss is pictured without its modules.)

Winning Conditions:

* Complete destruction of the boss(es).

Losing Conditions:

* Complete destruction of the player fleet.
* The player fleet, or what remains of it, is incapable of dealing significant damage to the boss(es).

================== THE PLAYER FLEET(S) ==================

Alpha Team:
-Larva New
-darkkai64 - Oldal Harckocsi
-Ninteen45 - Wasp mkII
-HalfThere - Abalone
-Hege - Bruise Cruiser
-Lord-General Thunder - T5-7X Hive-class cruiser
-Venator - Aegis Lancet Battleship - Plasma
-Lloyd16 - Unnamed Ship

Beta Team:
-AidanAdv - Torpedo Boat mkI.3
-BoVinE - Boxale 2
-antisocialmunky - BoxOGuns
-Master Chief - Heliotrope mkIVB
-mtheminja - Plea for Death
-Droid - lolplasmafish
-Jafo - Chlorine
-lightstriker - Diverter 5

Reserves:
-
Last edited by Ixranin on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

I might join this, it's SHMUP-ish enough for my tastes.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Interesting but where are the boss guns?
Don’t worry it has airbags.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Sign me up. I've been looking to try my hand at a tournament for a while and this one looks like it will be good.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

This looks like an awesome Idea. Even the Bosses look like what bosses should.

But what about the Weapons strings on the bottom? What are they for?

And how many per team?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

This looks awesome, but what are the weapons on the bottom for? If you can use them, how much do they cost?

Edit: Damn, ninja'd. Note to self, always post as soon as I click post reply, instead of looking at other stuff first, then posting.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Bad Boy wrote:This looks awesome, but what are the weapons on the bottom for? If you can use them, how much do they cost?
I believe they are just some extra weapons we can use, and their cost is right above them.

Code: Select all

Attribute--------|----Cost-----|
Twin Cannon------|----- 2 -----|
Dusk-------------|----- 3 -----|
Assault Tachyon--|----- 2 -----|
Scorpian Rockets-|----- 1 -----|
Military M.Beam--|----- 3 -----|
Tracker----------|----- 4 -----|
Revolver Weasel--|----- 6 -----|
Light Railcannon-|----- 4 -----|
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Oh, Didn't notice.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Nor did I (I don't know how I missed it).
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

Actually I will join this, it's SHMUP-ish enough for my taste.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Put my name on the list if there is one coming up. This tournament looks interesting enough. :)
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

antisocialmunky wrote:Interesting but where are the boss guns?
Presumably hidden one way or another to stop people theorycrafting too much. ;)

Also, I spot an error in the boss lineup info...
The Stranger Aeon's engines have failed, rendering it immobile but still able to turn. Strike it down before it escapes!
Unless it's technically capable of escaping to FTL without physically moving (HW-style hyperspacing?) then that should be impossible. It can't escape if it can't move!

Ed: Also, Scorpion, not Scorpian. :|
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I'm in I guess.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
darkkai64
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by darkkai64 »

I'll do this.
Also, are we allowed to recolor our ship?
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

I'm in, but I hope that since the teams aren't directly competing this time, we'll actually get some interesting threads like in the AtM tourneys. Should we start making the threads now?
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.