20 VS 20 Team Fleet Tournament - Phase 1 due June 20th

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

By my definition of balanced (a ship, when fighting itself, will stay equally matched until the end of the battle, so neither enemy nor ally clone gains the upper hand), my ship is seriously unbalanced. 4 on 4, the enemy side beat the allies to pieces, and lost only 5 sections between all 4 ships . :lol: My coordinated weapon arrays are working nicely for maximum damage potential.

My main worry in this tourney was that I wouldn't be able to put my multi-weapon combos into play, but after a few cuts here and there, it's working out. 200 DPS per ship in a tourney with such low hp/section is nothing to sneeze at. Coordinating large fleets allows for much more varied weapon loadouts.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Gravbeams?

WHY. WHY GOD WHY.

Anyway, does anyone remember The Big Armored Turd from a previous tournament, which was bested by the Swarmstation?

It's BACK (in a 20 ship variety).
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Anarki wrote:The Big Armored Turd
The one you created by cloning a load of section 26s and dumping Demeter Pods on in just a couple of minutes? I remember that ship. Looked like someone's badly-treated tuning fork. :roll:
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Master Chief wrote:
Anarki wrote:The Big Armored Turd
The one you created by cloning a load of section 26s and dumping Demeter Pods on in just a couple of minutes? I remember that ship. Looked like someone's badly-treated tuning fork. :roll:
It pwned though.

PS. Beams and hit detection in general start to behave oddly the faster you go. I think having a max speed of around 10 max is a good idea.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

antisocialmunky wrote:
It pwned though.
That was 1 on 1. This is fleet. Turds will get surrounded, sniped, and slashed by pretty much anything.

I think there will be more projectile ships this time around, due to the cost of PD and unavailability of flak, and therefore be more interesting than a bunch of brick waving 200 laser pointers at each other.

Max speed is tricky, I think projectile weaponry is more accurate at high speeds, and beams are slow to lock on to moving targets. In a battle between 40 hockey pucks, the AI is more likely to trade bullets than beams.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Maybe rails and types of AOE weapons, I've already messed with beamers. They aren't bad.

I've already toyed with some of the projectile weapons and they might very well have the potential to do completely lots of damage. However, the single shot weapons I've used don't seem to be able to do much damage(or atleast hit the right target).
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

ChaosTheory, do you mind putting a link to the competition in the Eis sneak peak?

Hmm. Would it be a good idea to have everyone do what ChaosTheorey did for one of their ships, with links to here? I'd like to get enough players that we can start signing down teams and I can set a due date. Also, with 16 ships, a disguised pic of one of them shouldn't reveal much, but be fun to guess about the rest of the fleet.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Well, if DarkenShroud is indisposed, oyu want ot work together, M?

I already have two ships built for oyur tournement. One is a definite keeper, the other is a WIP.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I might be willing to work with ASM, if he really wants a partner. I'm just a little tired of having to coordinate with a bunch of people. 1 other person would probably be fine.

[Edit:] Mtheminja, you spell-fail on my name in the first post.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't mind that either. Since I haven't worked with you since Custom Team Fleet(whenever Sponge will finish with that...) and I've worked with M for Jug and MS.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

antisocialmunky wrote:Well, if DarkenShroud is indisposed, you want to work together, M?
I don't think I'll be a participant, just the tournamentator. BTW, I'm M now? :lol:

Sorry, ChaosTheory, fixed now.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55sGiAMYGE

If you can nickname an ninja 'N,' can you nickname an 'M/The/Minja,' 'M'?

PS. Any feedback on a universal speed limit? 10 I think should be the max, weapons get really glitchy around there especially beams.

PPS. With all the hockypucks, there's alot of problems with the pointbeam bug, does anyone know of any work arounds for it?
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Unless several people want one, I won't add a speed cap. I've never heard of a way to stop the pointbeam bug...
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Well, here's another thing about top speed.

When a ship loses a section, it flied off in the opposite direction at the max speed. Quite annoying and can be abused by makign extremely high speed.

PS:

If you run into the Point Beam Bug, delete and manually replace the pointbeams. It seems to help in some cases. You can also try changing the AI to something else and then change it back.
Last edited by antisocialmunky on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

antisocialmunky wrote:When a ship loses a section, it flied off in the opposite direction at the max speed.
That's something I've never noticed, but if it's true it needs to be fixed.
[/post]