The IAP-UCS War

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The IAP-UCS War

Post by ArcaneDude »

The IAP-UCS war

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... CS_war.zip

Background:

Check these two topics;

http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2022

and

http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2075

Chapter one-The Battle of Accabeus

Alliance year 3219- Februari the thirteenth-wednesday-12:04

--Incoming transmission--

ANS Benevolent to all Alliance ships, our long range sensors have picked up a Confederate battlegroup 1.5 lightyears off our position, and another one at 2.1 lightyears. We are severely outnumbered against this incoming thread. Request that all available Alliance ships rally to Accabeus ASAP. Repeat, all Alliance ships, rally to Accabeus, ASAP. ETA on Confederate forces is 21 minutes. Transmission end.

--End of Transmission--

--Incoming transmission--

This is ANS Korolev hailing ANS Benevolent, we are on route to your position and will be there in exactly 24 minutes. Hold out as long as you can, and protect the Flute station at Accabeus at all costs. Korolev out.

--End of transmission--

Chapter two-The battle of Incarsica-

--Briefing record-ANS Petrowski--

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. The Confeds are attacking, and they're doing it big time. We're intercepting report from listening posts that a large battlegroup is on it's way here, and this time, they've brought in the big guns; two Shelley class Galleons will be reinforcing the fleet. We've called for our own reinforcements, but they won't be here just yet.

All ships will follow the Petrowski, and stay near the Defended Drydocks and the defense stations. We'll bolster our defenses, hoping to bottleneck the enemy in the combined firepower of the fleet and the stations. No more questions? Then let's move out, and godspeed.

--End briefing record--

Chapter three

--pending--
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

The first one's decent, but not really anything more than that. Weasel guns aren't very exciting to dodge. The second one was quite enjoyable, although you're going to have to explain why both sides have the same ships...
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

The Weasels aren't meant to be dodged, they're meant to hit.
The second one was quite enjoyable,
Second one? What second one?
although you're going to have to explain why both sides have the same ships...
Whaaaaat? As far as I know, there's the IAP and the UCS (the ones with the solar sails). I honestly have no idea at all what you're talking about.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I didn't get a second one either. Anyway, the encounter is alright, but a bit easy. If it's supposed to be a first mission then that's fine. The weasels don't work, because they never hit, the megatachyons aren't coloured and don't seem modded, also, what's with all the ships having the same life? Are the ships supposed to be equal to each other (something I seriously doubt, but I'll ask anyway)? eg. are the two big ships supposed to be of similar strength? Because if so, you have some serious balancing to do. Other then that, it was a good encounter, but nothing special.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Oopsie, my bad. There is no second encounter, mixed it up with another...

Well, the real one is reasonably simple; a good rule is that if you can win just by assigning targets and watching the show, it’s too easy. And the weasel guns are easily dodgeable, but it’s boring to do so (micromanagement). Nice start, and ones with more ships might be more balanceable.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

@Bad Boy: they never hit? Well, I knew they'd be dodgeable, but that's why I made them spawn a crapload of submunition...

With the two big ships; I assume you mean the Dreadnought and that Carrack? No, the Dreadnought is supposed to be stronger. See it like this; Alliance ships are more compact, and carry more weapons in comparison to the Confed's. Confed's come in larger numbers, and that's where their strength is supposed to lie.

This is indeed the first mission, just a first strike against the Alliance. Nothing fancy yet, but suffice to say that these are two superpowers, with massive fleets at there command. This was just a scout group attacking another scout group, soon, I'll have them go all-out.
but it’s boring to do so (micromanagement)
This is an RTS. You're supposed to micromanage. I think it's fun to do so... :roll:
Nevindar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Nevindar »

A bit short and easy (just use the PDs as weapons) but quite interesting. I like the idea with the different technology layouts.
[img]http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/7144/sig2copy5on0jo.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2085]Random encounters from alternate universes - Update: Sat May 17, 2008[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2057]My Blueprints and shipyards - Updated: Wed Jul 30, 2008[/url]
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Alright, about the toughness of ships, that's fair enough. I can't remember if I asked this already, but what's with all of the ships having 300 life? The problem with the weasel funs is that the submunitions don't do much damage (I believe that each one does 1 damage, but I might be wrong), and most of them don't hit, they just fly past the ship. Because of this, the confederacy ships are unable to bring anywhere near as much firepower to bear, thus the Nikolai owned the Carrack and barely took any damage (I don't think it even lost a section).
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

The Nikolai is supposed to own the Stoker, that's why it's a Dreadnought.

As for the equal life, well, I was just a bit...lazy when building those ships. I'll make it so that the Allaince has more offensive power, and the Confederacy more defense. Allright?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

That's fine with me, to be honest, it doesn't really matter, because all you have to do is make the confederacy have 1.5 times as many ships. Anyway, are you working on another encounter?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I will begin on one shortly. In a few minutes, that is.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Done. The HP's have been fixed, and this second encounter is a bit more interesting. At least I think it is...

Next up; counterattack.

EDIT; downloading the original file will give you both encounters, I'll make a separate DL for every mission, if you want it.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but when you blow off the front sail of the Shelley Galleon you get two floating aegisii.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Woops, parenting fail. I'll fix that in the next encounter.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

The encounter itself is alright, but you really need to lower the map size. Seriously, it's horrible, the projectiles are so pixely, you can barely see anything (this is mainly because of the weasel submunitions). You didn't even use all of the space on the map, you only really used a corner. I respectfully suggest that you open the encounter file as a text document, and change the size to 3000 by 3000 or at most 4000 by 4000. An 8000 size map is way too big.