Motherships Tournament ##Judging in Progress##

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Be creative. It takes... like 2 plasma charges to take out a aegis now.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

So, there is a limit on how many sections can be parented to a single section, right? Because I can't find it in the rules...
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

is it me or do railguns sometimes go through 40 hp aegis?

and yes I mean they do damage to the sections behind them
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

when you say 60% of points go on hull, it says 60% max on the hull. Does that mean we can go under, because your last post says otherwise.
kaaskopp
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by kaaskopp »

about the pd/aegis thing...

you could scale pd prizes in relation to the number of aegis. so one aegis doubles the prizes for pd, two triple the prize, and so on...?
[img]http://i17.tinypic.com/71qxdkx.png[/img]

joa, hascht wasch gegn waischwuascht?
scheiß weißwurst. Geht um alkohol junge!!
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

The rules are fine, if your gonna rely on flak. Then best expect beamer ships to have a field day. And again even if you rely on flak, there is gonna be fire coming in from all sides. Flak tends to focus on one or two sides. Which means fire will breach a ships defenses no matter what happens. Plan accordingly with the set up rules wise we have. Better then trying to change the rules to your liking instead of just adapting to them right :) Daxx keep this ruleset its fine. People are always gonna see problems with one thing or another and try to get rules changed. As far as I'm concerned its better to simply adapt to the rules then try to argue to get them changed.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

Lloyd16 wrote:when you say 60% of points go on hull, it says 60% max on the hull. Does that mean we can go under, because your last post says otherwise.
It means you can go under, but must spend at least 40% (because you can only spent 60% on loadout points). That's what my last post was talking about.
[/post]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I'm assuming that you'll be participating right, Daxx? Your Custom Fleet ships were interesting.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

I think motherships can be made too fast, I think they should be slow and powerfull dreadnoughts. not extremely fast ships witch also have lots of firepower.

I tested 2 motherships with reasonable speed and weapons that are supposed to be good againts moving targets but they just kept turning around each other because the beams and railguns just missed :?
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Daxx wrote:Speed/Accel. 0 ships are disallowed. I do not want to see anything even remotely resembling distributive aegis armour (though nice idea). Plus, I feel that the ships in this should really be ships and not stations.
I strongly disagree with this. Distributive armour is Completely 100% Useless™ at stopping aegis busting. It works by giving each frame's damage to a different section, so the whole shell gets damaged at the same rate. Aegis busting is a single frame effect, and you can test it for yourself: Distributive aegis sucks at everything but lancet stopping, and sometimes, because it turns so fast, lancets can get past and wreak havoc on the ship. Distributive armour's only benefits are that there is no such thing as flanking it, and the whole ring of sections must be destroyed to start attacking things inside it. In other words, it is just expensive (to the tune of about 10-30 percent of the ship's points spent on turning!) ablative armour that is a bit more effective. And if people want to make stations, that's simply a tactical decision. They trade maneuverability for more points into other things. Besides, I can still make a 0.01 speed, 0.01 turning ship that'll essentially be a station anyways. Really, this is balanced, adds more variety, and would be a fun addition to the tournament. Of course, it's your tournament, but still...
Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

Arguments about distributive armour are moot, because the primary reason I don't want stations is for flavour reasons. Other reasons like distributive armour (aegis or deflector aided), potential for too many draws, and placement issues, are just secondary.

I won't be participating, no, though I would like to. I don't think it's really all that fair, since I'm going to have to verify the motherships by looking at their sb3s, which would give me an advantage (and I don't think it'd be possible for me to act as if I didn't know).

There's no limit to section parenting. Bear in mind the rules about overlapping, though.

A speed 5 or above mothership is possible, sure, but will probably be weaker than other motherships. You should be planning to beat fast ships in any case; I'd expect to see a lot of frigates out there.
[/post]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Question - what is the maximum for Core Hp increases? Or is there one?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Mod Edit for sticky, seeing as this is an active tournament.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

ChaosTheory wrote:Question - what is the maximum for Core Hp increases? Or is there one?
I believe it's the same for cores, only 5 increases.
Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

ChaosTheory wrote:Question - what is the maximum for Core Hp increases? Or is there one?
Strictly speaking there isn't one.

Personally I've always thought of core increases as being a little pointless. If you've taken that much damage that your core is exposed then realistically points spent on Core HP are a waste of time. You should spend those points on armour, or something to make sure that the core doesn't take the damage in the first place (after all, prevention is better than cure). Unless you expect your opponents to be railgun heavy, I suppose.
[/post]