Tournament Ideas and Discussion Thread

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dagda
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dagda »

Hey, all. It's been suggested that I run these construction rules by people; comments and criticisms are welcome. The goals of the ruleset were to make design interesting and to have the single-player ships all be fairly viable as examples of tournament designs. A more lengthy explanation's here if you want it.

Would people be interested in "tournament" rules that functioned more like a conquest-oriented board game?
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Its an interesting spread sheet. I think it would be more suited as guidelines for balanced custom fleet construction than a tournement.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Dagda
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dagda »

antisocialmunky wrote:Its an interesting spread sheet. I think it would be more suited as guidelines for balanced custom fleet construction than a tournement.
They, uh. . .they *are* guidelines for balanced custom fleet construction. Does this mean they don't work as the underlying ruleset for some sort of tournament?
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Oh, I guessed I missed that part. It probably won't work in a tourney too well since we all would end up with max/min ships and your guidelines are a little too broad. You're welcome and encouraged to try to base a tourney on it or get someone else to do it if you want.
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

Idea: The 10 piece tournament. Each ship is made of ten components (each weapon, section and module counts as one)
Core stats are kept at default.
Have to have one of each type, i.e. have to have one section,one weapon, one module(?)

Thoughts?
Dagda
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dagda »

It probably won't work in a tourney too well since we all would end up with max/min ships and your guidelines are a little too broad.
You'll have to explain yourself some more here, since as far as I can see you're stating that a competitive tournament with a wide variety of carefully optimized ships is a bad thing.
Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

Dagda, I think it's an interesting ruleset. Why don't you go ahead and make a thread, let people sign up, and we can test it out? I believe the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as it were.
[/post]
elecboy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by elecboy »

If you hold it,
they will come.
Defiance is key. WTF? What The Fish?
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

@ Dagda

Pulse Gun, 27 points.

Tachyon Repeater, 27 points.

I think this needs a bit of work.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Would there be any interest in a tournament which combines concepts from the Mothership tournaments and Metal Fox? Basically meaning, six different bosses with the objective to defeat as many as possible using the standard team of 8 ships.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

an idea

Post by lightstriker »

i would sort of like to do this myself as insofar as i can tell (big word bizatches... woot!) it's pretty unique, but... as i currently have no real skills in the game ( if anyone doubts this i would be happy to show them some of my oh so incrediblely well made ships :oops: ) and don't really know how to run a point system, i can't (unless someone would like to help me ... *hint hint*)...

Anyhoo, the idea would be this. In an eight player group, every player would build a ship, using a maximum of 100 points. After every player has submitted a ship, they would then post a picture of their ship. They do not post anything else but a picture (after sending a file of the ship to the makers for confirmation that it is legal).

In order of sign up, every player would get to choose a ship (based off of the pictures, no double picks allowed). They would then build a 200 point ship, off of the first one, being allowed to remove only 2 parts from the first (modules, guns, plates, w/e).

Than, the same thing would happen with the 200 point ships, except the person who picked first last round would pick last, and so on and so forth. (and the ships created would cost 300, than 400... points)

this would go on untill every player has created 8 ships, which would than be judged both asthetically (as a fleet how good do they look together) and in combat (against a deliberatly weak fleet created by the host, how quickly and efficiently do they win?)

Any suggestions or comments (or people willing to help me make this, if it isn't stupid and/or rediculous?

edit: and, in retrospect, when i realise that this topic was last posted on on the 16th, perhaps i should be a weee bit dubious about getting replies... oh well :)
Duplo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Duplo »

oh dear. should have posted here. sorry >.<
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Fumo! :roll:
Duplo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Now that.

Post by Duplo »

that is appreciated spam for me.
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

Scout survival.

a team of three design 6 30 point patrol ships, and fight a group of 4 bosses in a round after round battle. The scouts will be submitted in a file, and to be fair, the bosses will be submitted in a file as well. The bosses will be made by members of the community who play in a team called foes. The "Foes" team consist of 4 members using 100 point battleships or a random ship from the battle origonator's list of ships.