The Shipbuilder's Triathlon (Idea, WIP)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

antisocialmunky wrote:Perhaps we should have a 100 point flag ship and 300 points for the rest of the fleet?
If this point system is anything like most others, 100 points is a small flag ship. And 300 points is, at best, 6 tiny ships.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I wouldn't be opposed to a higher point tournement but I don't want his comp to choke on it.

Also, are we going to have judges for the beauty contest like the main forum beauty pagent? :lol:
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Well, his grading system seems to involve multiples of 10%, and the smallest number easily divisible by 10% would be 10. At least from the first post, I figured these would be ten ship fleets. 100 points for a flagship leaves 33 points each for the other 9 ships, and that's really, really not workable.

If you're going with 10 ships, 1000 points is a more workable figure. That gives much more working room. Example:
1 Flag Ship: 200
3 Battleships: 120 each
3 Cruisers: 80 each
4 Destroyers: 50 each
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Eh? All your speculation is hurting my thoughts =.=

Yes, the combat ships you build WILL be the ships judged in the aesthetics competition, and yes, flagships will be the ships to verse eachother one-on-one.

Why make it so difficult? Because this is going to be difficult. If you win this competition, you've basically announced to the world "I AM T3H 1337 PWNAGE". You've then proven yourself as the greatest all-round ship-builder, until the next triathlon will occur.

Flagships are a designation, not a ship class. You could have a frigate as your flagship, or a cruiser, or a battleship, etc... I will increase the point total to 400, however, I will not increase it to 1000. It's one of the choices you're going to have to make, do you decide to have a large fleet that would give you lots of points if you won, or a small fleet that will have lots of killing power, but not give you so many points if you win?

Custom weapons, yes I am working on. However, as I have little experience with some weapons/modules, and the problems that were also plaguing Natch for his custom weapons, I may limit it to color, size, damage, and range. For now.

Lastly, stop submitting ships. For god's sake I haven't even finished the rules or started the competition, and you're already deciding what ships your going to build =.=
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Can you just make a point cap? Like, you can only spend 150 points on one ship?

Just so its not ridiculous.

Also, what's with that ship point table on your main page? Is it just an example.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Normandy wrote:Yes, the combat ships you build WILL be the ships judged in the aesthetics competition, and yes, flagships will be the ships to verse eachother one-on-one.
Sweet. So fleet against fleet, and crownship against crownship.
Normandy wrote:Custom weapons, yes I am working on. However, as I have little experience with some weapons/modules, and the problems that were also plaguing Natch for his custom weapons, I may limit it to color, size, damage, and range. For now.
Is there Anything you think we can help with in this area?
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I'm just curious:
If you have a three ship fleet, how will you determine the % destroyed? Will you just estimate 1.5 ships destroyed = 50%?
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

hello everybody. I felt that we should have a ship as a baseline.
Here is my possible battleship entry. Fell free to comment on it's looks. Also, what is the base hp of the cores?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Lastly, stop submitting ships. For god's sake I haven't even finished the rules or started the competition, and you're already deciding what ships your going to build =.=

Sorry. Had to say it.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

This is not an entry. just that i felt like we needed something for everyone to compare their ships to. It MAY be entered if i get good feedback from it.
Note that this is the only ship i have done so far.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

@ Arcane: Coasting the Fail Blog?
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Lloyd16 wrote:This is not an entry. just that i felt like we needed something for everyone to compare their ships to. It MAY be entered if i get good feedback from it.
Note that this is the only ship i have done so far.
Dude, we're talking about the rules governing the tournement, not ship design. Wait a week for the actual thread to pop up.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

1) How the hell are you guys building ships without the actual point-cost table up.
2) The ships entered in the Beauty Pagent and the Fighting portion of the Triathalon are the SAME. You need to make ships that look good and win fights.
3) Above mentioned ship wouldn't do either. I suggest looking at ships from other tournaments as well as looking at ships in the Custom Ships section. Look at Anna's. Those are good-level ships. Once you start comparing other ships to those, that's when you understand what are good ships and what are garbage.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

we have the section cost table up, and this thing has no weapons yet.
And why can't we start thinking about the fleet design. Guessing from these posts i have to restart. We only need a weapon cost table anyway, and maybe an explaination on WMS?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

@ Arcane: Coasting the Fail Blog?
Yes. How'd you notice? :lol:

Anyways, as Normandy specifically stated, don't post ships yet, not even prototypes. This is a rulebook discussion page, not yet the actual thread.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush