New type of tournament rules

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rhiawhyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New type of tournament rules

Post by Rhiawhyn »

So i decides to think up a tournament ruleset with a lot of detail in it :P, this will be more or less a massive endless tournament were players are constantly upgrading and adding on to the ships they create until you end up with a massive super ship and get put into the hall of fame (or ownage ;P)

warning wall of text incoming... squeamish... don't read this.

Each player will get a set amount of money to start off with, the players will then make a blueprint of the ships
using the money system to calculate what they can have on said ship.

Each ship part has a limited amount of power that can be used for devices and weapons, each part however can be
upgraded for less health and more power, or they can transfer all of the available power to other parts for a 1/2 ratio
(half of the power form one part can be transfered to another leaving the one transferring the power with nothing left).

Each player starts off with 100,000$ and can use it however they see fit (the money amount and prices can be modified to the
tournament for bigger/smaller ships).

Hull part prices range from 2,000 to 10,000

The hull parts are 1-5, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20-22 24 and 26 in ship maker

The armor parts are 6-9, 11-12, 15, 18-19 and 25

the engine part (23) (you get one free) increases the power of all parts from zero to the base for that part, any more
adds to the power total of the parts allowing you to have more things on them

Costs and power per part: (cost, power without engine, power with engine) (almost all parts can be turned into armor and vice versa
for a cost)

1: 2,000$ 0 (5)
2: 4,000$ 0 (10)
3: 8,000$ 5 (15)
4: 5,000$ 0 (10)
5: 6,000$ 0 (15)
6: 1,500$ - (-)
7: 1,000$ - (-)
8: 1,000$ - (-)
9: 2,000$ 0 (3)
10: 10,000$ 15 (25)
11: 4,000$ 0 (5)
12: 3,000$ - (-)
13: 7,000$ 10 (20) (side note, parts with circular things like this one give whatever gun mounted on said part an automatic
360 radius without cost)
14: 5,000$ 5 (10)
15: 3,000$ - (-)
16: 4,000$ 0 (3) (side note.. this is a structure part and has little power because of it, however it automatically gains 150
hp if used in a structure application, ie wings, exterior parts, ext ext.)
17: 5,000$ 5 (20)
18: 5,000$ - (-) (18/19 are high tech armor plates and give 250 more hp without any extra cost, they however cannot be turned into hull parts)
19: 5,500$ - (-)
20: 3,500$ 0/- (5/-) (this part is an interesting one... it can be turned into armor and or hull for FREE. thus it is useful for a lot of things)
21: 6,000$ 5/- (15/5) another interesting part.. it can be turned into armor for free and if you have an engine part.. it can mount a small gun)
22: 4,000$ 0 (20)
23: 10,000$ 5 (engine parts add a total of 5 power PER PART, however the more engine you have the more thrusters you need, thus the more it will cost overall)
24: 8,000$ 5 (15) (gives a single full 360 weapon mount)
25: 4,000$ - (-) (this part can be upgraded with more hp cheaper than other parts)
26: 10,000$ 10 (25) (this part is a massive one and can be used in place of an engine.. however it is not advised)

Weapon type, costs, power use and general ability's:
gauss:1,500$ (5) low damage, high speed and long range
rail:500$ (3) middle of the road on just about everything..
particle:2,000$ (8) high damage, slow speed and short range
emp:4,000$ (10) very high speed, short range and moderate damage
ion:8,000$ (20) terry slow speed, long range, extreme damage
chemical laser:2,000$ (5/20/45) beam weapon, damage based on type (light,med,heavy,), range based on type and pin point accurate
Flux beam:7,000$ (20) beam weapon, high damage, short range and inaccurate
IT missile:2,600$ (5) long range, slow speed, high damage and moderate maneuverability (chance it won't be shot down)
AR missile:2,000$ (5) med range, fast speed, low damage and high maneuverability
Proton cruse missiles:10,000$ (10) very long range, very slow speed, extreme damage, little to no maneuverability.

Mounts, ability/power modifiers and costs per mount: (note some may lower the cost of some root weapon types ie rail/gauss/particle ext ext)
micro:250$ power reduction 50%, cost reduction 50%, damage reduction 50%, fire rate increase 40% and range decrease 50%
small:400$ power reduction 25%, cost reduction 25%, damage reduction 25%, fire rate increase 25% and range decrease 40%
medium:no modifiers. everything is stock (this mount is free)
large:1,000$ power increase 25%, cost increase 25%, damage increase 25%, fire rate decrease 25% and range increase 40%
huge:2,500$ power increase 50%, cost increase 50%, damage increase 50%, fire rate decrease 50% and range increase 50%
core:80,000$ power increase 200%, cost increase 150%, damage increase 500%, fire rate decrease 500%, range increase 200%

Devices and costs along with ability's and power use: (note devices are expensive and give you advantages... lots of them >_>)
Jump drive:25,000$/150,000$/5,000,000$ 20/50/150 (tachyon/hyper mass accel/wormhole) (comes in multiple types for different sized ships) range/recharge based on type
Deflector shield:15,000$/25,000$/100,000$ 15/35/50 (small,med,large) duration of shield depends on size.
Shield generator system: (more complex system so the cost is based on multiple factors)
5 plates: 25,000$ (plates go in groups of 5)
strength: 10,000$ (cost based on strength, add 5,000$ per 5 points added to strength, example.. 15 strength would be 25,000)
power cost: (based on plates and strength. plates+strength= power.)
Booster:30,000$ 15 (no stat changes are available)
Gravity torpedo 25 (bends beam weapons away from the center):40,000$ (again no stat changes available)
Projectile wall projector:40,000$ 25 (same as above)
Nano repair system:(cost based on damage repaired a second+max power+power regen speed for custom ones) 50,000$ 30
Beam torpedo launcher:45,000$ 20 (no stat changes)
Photon scatter cannon: 70,000$ 40 (no stat changes)

Games will be played by ai, however the ships will be player made.
Bets and wagers on who will win (ie two people put, say, 20k on a game.. the winner leaves 20k richer and gets his 20k back, then both contestants get money based on who bet on them (ie other people who aren't fighting).
Some events will be held to help with people who don't have a lot of money, and or for people who want to have fun without loss
other games like team battles will have awards to the winning team, were the losing team gets a little bit (got to keep it fair ;P)
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

This will be awesome, but I think it might be a good idea to see if anyone wants to help you, as that's a lot of admin work for one person... too bad I don't have the time.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well worst criticism I can give is that its gonna take some work to keep track of it all. That said, it would definitly be worth the effort and I really like the idea of starting with a small ship and only being able to mod it based on your winning streak. Sounds similar to racing games or ares rising where you can eventually earn really good parts and big ships. And I like the theme :wink: . Hope others are willing to implement this, I will definitly participate.
Rhiawhyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhiawhyn »

Remember, little ships can become hella strong.. think star fox like ships taking on massive super ships and winning.. upgrades can really turn a little fighter into one HELL of a ship.

Oh and a little tidbit, based on how the officials think you are doing (good or bad) we might hand out chances to buy an exotic weapon, or a weapon enhancement.

So those little ships might get these insane exotic little things ;P

Oh i forgot to mention, if the ship is small and it is a fighter class ship you get a total of 50 power from the core you can use.. however space is the main issue ;P don't make a fighter a flying gun and we won't have a problem.

Otherwise, have fun with it. you don't need officials to regulate everything.. you CAN run this on your own and use player trust to make ships.. and you can even customize your own costs and starting moolah (remember using the stock rules you can use said ship and compete in events... and only if its a stock ship and approved by an official :P

edit:i am planning on hosting an attack the mother ship style game in a couple of days, you guys get to fight the AD... however the first fight will be against the toned down version... no shields and thiner armor.. at least you can kill that one ;P, winnings will be awarded to whomever deals the most damage OR survives the longest if you all fail to kill it (i doubt you will fill to kill it however.. :D)
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Uhm...the weapons make no sense. What the hell corresponds to a gauss in BSF, for example...
What the hell is a proton cruise missile?
make some sense! Call it a Blaster or a Pulse, or a Beamer. Like it is called in the game or ship maker. The sections make sense but the freaking weapons are "WTF"
At least I can guess what the modules are based on the useful descriptors or sensible names... (Beam Torpedo...ok...its a freaking Teller Torpedo Launcher. Gravity Torpedo...uhm...alright bendy beams? Its a Rorsarch Resistor. Thanks for nothing >.>)

IMHO, section 23 is more of a cannon platform than anything...but that's just personal preference of usage. It really looks like a turret mount >.>
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

Good idea, hard to manage. you have forgetten more then half of the weapons and modules in the shipmaker (I think) limiting what weapons can be used. also i think the power terms need explaining a bit better.
note: this is battleships forever, not darkspace.
Rhiawhyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhiawhyn »

Lloyd16 wrote:Good idea, hard to manage. you have forgetten more then half of the weapons and modules in the shipmaker (I think) limiting what weapons can be used. also i think the power terms need explaining a bit better.
note: this is battleships forever, not darkspace.
I understand that this is not darkspace, however I took a note from it, namely the different size options for different size ships :P
Besides a lot of the weapon types and device names I not have come up with without darkspace ;P

Each weapon and or device draws a set amount of power from the section, if the part cannot power that many weapons you can't have them.. its that simple ;P.
Uhm...the weapons make no sense. What the hell corresponds to a gauss in BSF, for example...
What the hell is a proton cruise missile?
make some sense! Call it a Blaster or a Pulse, or a Beamer. Like it is called in the game or ship maker. The sections make sense but the freaking weapons are "WTF"
At least I can guess what the modules are based on the useful descriptors or sensible names... (Beam Torpedo...ok...its a freaking Teller Torpedo Launcher. Gravity Torpedo...uhm...alright bendy beams? Its a Rorschach Resistor. Thanks for nothing >.>)
There is a reason i have those things instead of the normal blasters and beamers. one of them is customization, another one is the simple fact of "will i go with a long range sniper ship with little amounts of short range weapons, or a missile ship... wait no I'm going to make a beam ship"

if you want to use the normal blasters and things i can make a cost system and power system for the normal weapons ;P

The main reason for the different types and all this new non stock stuff is simply put.. for everyone to have some kind of weapon that fits them and the ship they made. Again you can have stock weapons and devices if you so choose ;P
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

What are the stock versions of these weapons? some i get and some i don't?
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

I'd recommend making an excel spreadsheet of this so it is easier to read and understand, it might get more people on board with the idea.
Rhiawhyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhiawhyn »

Lloyd16 wrote:What are the stock versions of these weapons? some i get and some i don't?
Normal blasters, ie blaster, gat blaster, pulse gun, beamer ext ext
I'd recommend making an excel spreadsheet of this so it is easier to read and understand, it might get more people on board with the idea.
Would help if I could figure out how to use it :/

But anyway, at least Its not a flop of an idea ;P
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Uhm, why don't you please edit that first post and use the stock names...since, obviously, we aren't telepathic and we can't read your mind as to what each one is supposed to be. It'd be a lot easier and it'd help to make these rules actually make sense.
CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

You really need a better explanation of how the power system works, in addition to what each weapon, device, etc. actually corresponds to.

It also really helps the rest of us to understand your idea if you put in a little time to format correctly, use proper punctuation, and so forth.
Heres an Excel template with a good amount of your data entered in already to help you out in formatting.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I'm sorry, I'm just so sorry.

Phail.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

He's not on the level of Phail. He could clean this up so it's understandable and go on to achieve win. Phail is when there's no hope of a comeback.
Last edited by mtheminja on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I'm with Himura on this one. I'm seeing several crippling problems.

1. I read the whole thing twice and I still have no idea how the power thing works.
2. I have no idea what half of the weapon/modules actually are, because you changed their names.
3. I really don't think this is balanced at all. There's no way some segments can be worth several times others. I'd probably be able to pick at the weapon balancing too, if I had a clue what the weapons were.
4. If I get $100,000, why is there a part that costs 50 times that, and why are there parts that cost a large percentage of that?
5. Mounts are a good idea, but I'm not about to sit there and calculate what the values of a weapon are going to be after a mount. It also appears that none of these mounts are balanced with each other. Many of them also don't make sense. For example, why does a small mount deduct more damage, fire rate, etc than a tiny one?
6. Why use such large prices? Call me lazy, but adding up 100 points is a lot easier than adding up 100000 points.
7. Finally, do you have any idea how difficult this will be to moderate? I'd suggest writing a script, but since you're changing so many attributes/adding restrictions that SB can't monitor, even a script would be almost impossible to write without a ton of programming experience.