Custom Wep Tourney Poll #3(READ FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should weapon modding be limited?(READ FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING)

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 19

Natch
Captain
Captain

Custom Wep Tourney Poll #3(READ FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING)

Post by Natch »

Okay, sorry that this hasn't happened yet.

The main issue is that I've yet to obtain the default weapons values for each weapon. Now, I can figure out some of them via testing and looking at previous data, but others I could only obtain from Th15. And he hasn't responded to my PMs yet. Now, I could run the tourney sooner than whenever Th15 happens to get to me, but this MAY mean that some of more obscure stats will be restricted from modding, simply because I have no default value and nothing to base a point increase off of.

To sum it up:

Yes=A little less weapon modding, but the tourney comes sooner.
No=Full weapon modding, but the tourney comes later.
AWARDS:
[i]Most Innovative Shipmaker[/i]
[i]Shipmaker With Most Utility/Balance[/i]
[i]Most Annoying Member[/i]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Yes, because you said this could be quite rough-edged/imbalanced, and we'll all be working around the same restriction anyways. Unless we're missing a lot of data...
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Ok, would it help if someone got the 'basic values' for you? Such as:
Turning, Damage, Clip, Firerate, Reload, and so forth.
Or did you do all that already?
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

I can do that already.

I'm reffering to more obscure stats:

Deviation
Interceptability(this would only really be limited to Tachyons and Demeters, since all other interceptabilites are 100%. But then that makes those paticular weapons less useful)

Then we start getting to even MORE obscure stats:

Missile Turn Speed
Friction(Pulsars)
Accl Delay(Pulsars)
Shot Accl(Pulsars, Repeaters)
Shot Maxspeed(Pulsars, Repeaters. Not the same as Bullet Speed)
Min Explosion(Plasmas)

And so on and so forth. There are many really obscure stats I can't really test for.
AWARDS:
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I voted yes, but don't you think that many of those stats can be tested for?

You know that Pulsar speed will always start a 100%. So take a timer and count how long it takes for the accel delay to take effect. Then make a custom weapon with some approximated stats. For Repeater and Puslar acceleration, I'd guess 1 or 3 since that's what th15 mentions in the help pop-up. For maxspeed, probably something in the range of 25 for pulsars and 15 for repeaters.

Deviation is pretty easy, just make a weapon with 100 burst and 1 reload or so and measure the maximum angle created by the projectiles.

Many of these other stats can also be tested, all you have to do is copy them as a custom weapon and make something that approximates it fairly closely.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

ChaosTheory wrote:I voted yes, but don't you think that many of those stats can be tested for?
It's POSSIBLE, yes. However, it also means a lot of testing and prodding. Makes me wish th15 was able to pull the exact numbers, but as he's said before, the way it's coded means it's buried somewhere and would take some time to find.
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

I voted yes, as limiting some of the stats would make it easier to check, and having limits would make it harder to make a good design, as well as make default weapons an option
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I say yes. There is no way in hell this will be balanced; might as well run it to see what's unbalanced. Turtle pace for the win - no need to bite off more then you can chew.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Anarki making a sensible post? Do my eyes deceive me? But yes, well put Anarki.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I voted no. It will be much harder to verify only the allowed stats are changed, and it would greatly limit the customization aspect of the custom weapon tournament. Even simple attributes aren't tested for. Accuracy, for example, is just Low, high, etc in the guide. I'm sure th15 will find time to dig up stats eventually. Until then, I say do it once, and do it right. No need to make a half-assed formula now if you can do better in the future.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Normandy wrote:Anarki making a sensible post? Do my eyes deceive me? But yes, well put Anarki.
Asshole

:P
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Sponge wrote:I voted no. It will be much harder to verify only the allowed stats are changed, and it would greatly limit the customization aspect of the custom weapon tournament. Even simple attributes aren't tested for. Accuracy, for example, is just Low, high, etc in the guide. I'm sure th15 will find time to dig up stats eventually. Until then, I say do it once, and do it right. No need to make a half-assed formula now if you can do better in the future.
I just might be able to test for deviation.

Th15 released a spreadsheet on weapons showing some pretty cool stuff awhile back.
AWARDS:
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Might as well try to see how it fails and then fix it for a real tourney.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Natch wrote:Th15 released a spreadsheet on weapons showing some pretty cool stuff awhile back.
That thing is long outdated. You need the new stuff by bugging the God himself.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

antisocialmunky wrote:Might as well try to see how it fails and then fix it for a real tourney.
I Agree. So I Voted Yes.