Tournament Poll#2

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should Customized weapons cost more than default weapons in a scaling fashion, or an expnonential fashion?

Scaling Fashion
33%
Exponential Fashion
67%

Total votes: 15

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Hrm, good point.

The weapon stats I would probably abuse the most would be (in order of abuse-levels)

A. Plasma Charge Explosion Growth
B. Tachyon Growth
C. Interceptability (sp?)
D. Pulsar Acceleration
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

So, rather than insulting those who try and help, shouldn't you reveal how you're doing it?
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Seriously. A simple post telling us how you think you'll do it, even if it isn't definitive, would effectively prevent people from suggesting things that don't fit with your idea. On another note, I'd just like to throw in that I think the "lets go simple because trying to balance this is impossible" mentality is a bit faulty. A half balanced system will have better results than a system that's not weighted at all. That is, unless you've got some supercool idea. If that's the case, refer to point one ;).
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

DELETED
Last edited by Natch on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWARDS:
[i]Most Innovative Shipmaker[/i]
[i]Shipmaker With Most Utility/Balance[/i]
[i]Most Annoying Member[/i]
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Gee, kinda like the example I brought up right?

You missed the point:

It doesn't matter how complex or accurate the tracking system is, if there is a loophole that will result in superior combinations then it can be exploited. I suggested that your system (whatever it is) should focus on the final results of modifications and not on the process these modifications are applied.

You DO realize that stats will work and feed off each other? For example, increasing damage alone is easy to determine, but increasing range/RoF/Accuracy simultaneously will also have a trickle down effect that makes the damage increase that more effective.

That is why I fleshed out some numbers based on attributes because increasing several of such stats evenly by a small factor is far more effective than dedicating one equally large factor onto one stat.

You save yourself a lot of headache by comparing the final modifications of a weapon to its default, rather than trying to weigh each and every statistical worth.
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Okay then.

Let it happen then. I kinda forgot the whole point of this thing: To abuse it as much as possible. In fact, I didn't plan to tell people what the formula was to see who figured it out first.

I'll delete my posts about it now.
AWARDS:
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Natch wrote:Okay then.

Let it happen then. I kinda forgot the whole point of this thing: To abuse it as much as possible. In fact, I didn't plan to tell people what the formula was to see who figured it out first.

Then how are we supposed to design ships without rules and regulations?

Come on, man. If you run a tourney, you need to give us an idea of the rule structure. Don't be proud and tell us to figure it out oursleves. This is about finding the loopholes filling them, right? So LET US FIND THE LOOPHOLES. We can't find loopholes in a rope that doesn't exist yet.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

ChaosTheory wrote:
Natch wrote:Okay then.

Then how are we supposed to design ships without rules and regulations?

Come on, man. If you run a tourney, you need to give us an idea of the rule structure. Don't be proud and tell us to figure it out oursleves. This is about finding the loopholes filling them, right? So LET US FIND THE LOOPHOLES. We can't find loopholes in a rope that doesn't exist yet.
Okay, look.

I will have a system. It will be exploitable. Whoever manages to exploit it the most will probably win.

That's all there is to it, really.
AWARDS:
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Are you making a system that will allow a fair point cost assignment to modded weapons in custom ships or are you designing a system that can be abused by the mathematically inclined?

You started out with the impression with the former, but now you've turned around and came out with the expressed intention of making the latter.

Which is it?
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Squishy, let me help you digest the thinking going on in Natch's head:

"Gee, I'm not an omniscient god of weapon modding. I know that I will not be able to make sure every single exploit that can be done will be accounted for in my rules. Therefore, I will throw it out there and see what everyone else will think of, so that I don't have to do the work, and so that I will have covered far more ground."
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

No, I'm not saying that.

I am saying that I have gotten carried away in balancing and forgot my original point. Yes, this tournament is meant to be one that favors those who can exploit the system the most. That's what's weapon modding is about, no?

Now, I could test and balance it, but as things stand, I am terribly busy with life, and have barely enough time as is.
AWARDS: