Tournament Idea

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should I make a custom ship tournment that allows customization of weapons/modules?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 18

Natch
Captain
Captain

Tournament Idea

Post by Natch »

See poll question. I've been thinking about doing one, as it's never been done before. Obviously I won't do it now, as everyone is so busy with current tournies, but I just wanna throw the idea out there.
AWARDS:
[i]Most Innovative Shipmaker[/i]
[i]Shipmaker With Most Utility/Balance[/i]
[i]Most Annoying Member[/i]
Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Post by Zancloufer »

How would the point system work then?
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

My Vote is yes. A Tourney like this could be ground breaking in the Realm of Tournaments.

Also:
Zancloufer wrote:How would the point system work then?
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

i think this will be a good idea, but again how will it be controlled? you would need point systems for every weapon, as everyone is different. if you can find a way of making this work go for it.
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Zancloufer wrote:How would the point system work then?
In a very complicated manner.

I'm still working out the basics, really. But I am making some ground-breaking changes even WITHOUT the custom weapons. Anyways, the system will first allow you to spread out the DPS of weapons with little to no point cost-this means making the missiles launcher launch 5 missiles of 5 will most likely not cost you a dime. I will probably even make some pre-set custom weapons, so you don't even have to think on some of them. Of course, the ones you DO think on are gonna be the better ones.
AWARDS:
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

You could just compare the modded stats to the regular points and add the % of increase from default of the stats and multiply by the base point value. Hard but simple.

You would probably need to program a parser to auto-tally the score from the ship maker stat dump.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Actually, that's a pretty good idea, and would be relatively easy to do with a simple script. Before it could be done, though, we would have to know the default values for every weapon/module. However, that brings up an issue of some attributes not being as good as others. For example, increasing the clipsize might prove much more beneficial than increasing the damage of a weapon, and so you'd have to throw in various other modifiers. It could all be done behind-the-scenes, though, with a PHP script. You select a weapon, input the custom stats, and it gives you a point value.

EDIT: Beat me to the punch on the parser thing.
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

I am going to do something like that. Now that you mention it, a program would help. I'll prolly use my graping calculator. Keep in mind this is most likely far away, as it's gonna be complicated, but I FULLY intend to do this.

EDIT: Wait, I already have a program on my graping calc that'll suffice this, I think.
AWARDS:
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

The problem with a graphing calculator is that it's something that only you can use. That, and it would be a bear to get all those weapon codes copied into it. If it's going to be an important part of the tourney (and it will be. No one is going to want to go through a list of equations to figure out the point value of their weapon), it's got to be public, and usable by everyone. A web based script would, therefore, be ideal.

Now, I suppose you could just put the calculator program up for download, but you've got to figure not everyone has a graphing calculator, and even more problematic, not everyone with a graphing calculator has the same graphing calculator.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

So I could have a Missile Launcher that launches 20 missiles of 1 damage each for pwnage Point Defense breaking skillz.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

I can write any PHP script that you might need if its just a simple algorithm.

Next step after that is pointing an entire ship using the shipinfo.txt, which wouldn't be hard at all.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

You might want to include a cost for scaling a weapon that depends on the factor change to the value, so 'a Missile Launcher that launches 20 missiles of 1 damage each' would still cost a bit more than a normal launcher, say, 5 as opposed to 2 (since that's a drastically changed weapon), or else Himura.Kenshin is right, the system is exploitable. Alternatively, you could cap the amount a stat can be modified, say by a factor of 4, preventing cheap 'pwnage Point Defense breaking skillz'.

Also, you're probably going to run into decimal point values, what will you do about that?
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

mtheminja wrote:You might want to include a cost for scaling a weapon that depends on the factor change to the value, so 'a Missile Launcher that launches 20 missiles of 1 damage each' would still cost a bit more than a normal launcher, say, 5 as opposed to 2 (since that's a drastically changed weapon), or else Himura.Kenshin is right, the system is exploitable. Alternatively, you could cap the amount a stat can be modified, say by a factor of 4, preventing cheap 'pwnage Point Defense breaking skillz'.

Also, you're probably going to run into decimal point values, what will you do about that?
Er, missiles do 25 damage. That actually LOWERS the DPS of the weapon. The cost would stay the same or go down, if anything. Also, I'll deal with decimals. All this poll is asking is if you LIKE the idea.

Really, everything you're asking I've already considered, for the most part. I AM the custom weapons guru, after all.
AWARDS:
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Natch wrote:
mtheminja wrote:You might want to include a cost for scaling a weapon that depends on the factor change to the value, so 'a Missile Launcher that launches 20 missiles of 1 damage each' would still cost a bit more than a normal launcher, say, 5 as opposed to 2 (since that's a drastically changed weapon), or else Himura.Kenshin is right, the system is exploitable. Alternatively, you could cap the amount a stat can be modified, say by a factor of 4, preventing cheap 'pwnage Point Defense breaking skillz'.

Er, missiles do 25 damage. That actually LOWERS the DPS of the weapon. The cost would stay the same or go down, if anything. Also, I'll deal with decimals. All this poll is asking is if you LIKE the idea.

Really, everything you're asking I've already considered, for the most part. I AM the custom weapons guru, after all.
Let's not be full of ourselves, yes?

I was considering a "titan tourney" over at the other forum, but there wasn't much response (mainly from lack of forumites). I was using a system based on:

(new DPS) / (normal DPS)
* (square root of % increase in clipsize)
* (% increase in bullet speed) / 2
* (% increase in arc range)
* (% increase in turn speed)

Plus custom stat changes with special weapons, like pulsars, that may have many variations, for which I would use a polynomial equation for calculation.

If you can do it instead of me, I'd be happy to join. :D
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

ChaosTheory wrote:
Natch wrote:
Let's not be full of ourselves, yes?
Uh, yeah... You could probably blame me for that...

Perhaps you too can team up and work on it? Never know, it might come faster that way?