Metal Fox?!

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

http://www.mediafire.com/?bda3jtfjzzm

Renegade Flagship

Not sure if it will be good enough, but feel free to abuse it severly if it isn't :D
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Captain Trek wrote:What about mine? :)
Yours is a little disproportionally powerful. 4000 HP core? 100+ damage per shot? A bit powerful for a little Hecate, now is it? There's not a very clear weakpoint, guns can kill the poor little fox in one hit, and... Yeah. This ship is really hard to beat, and I don't think players would like it if they came across this ship.

Darken - I'll test yours right now. :)
It's me. That guy.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

If its good enough I'll custom the colors to make it look alittle sharper.

Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Well, it's pretty good. Thing about it though is that it has a ton of guns that do stock damage. The problem is that that all adds up to very high amounts, meaning the ship is capable of doing pretty nasty damage to the Fox. not only that, but they also all have stock speed, meaning the weapons are quite difficult to dodge for the fox, especially blaster shots. This also gives you very little time for you to figure out what part of the ship to focus your fire on to defeat the ship.

Maybe if you either decreased the amount of guns on the ship, decreased damage on all the guns, or got rid of some of the aegis sections, then it could be a pretty nice boss. I can see very many ways that this boss could be made to work properly.
It's me. That guy.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yeah I stacked a few of the weapons placements, I can just get rid of one off each. Should make the differnce hopefully. Only stacked 3 total on each quad and tac, I'll try 2 on each and see if that helps. Theres no flak on it though, which makes it alot easier for the player. I set up the aegis to be like a puzzle of sorts, not really that hard to take out once I drop a weapon off each stack. The beams, pulsars, and missles are not stacked though.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4frgyognogj

New updated Renegade Flagship

Toned down hp alittle, turning, and took a weapon off each that were stacked.

Theres a ton of ways to disable/cripple her, when engaging. Should be a decent challenge without being unbeatable.

Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Okay, please try and fight your ship with the Metal Fox yourself, because for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to defeat this guy. He moves too fast for me to try and nail the more heavily shielded sections, and the only big weakpoint on the ship is covered with a ton of scatterbeams, which can't be avoided.

Here's a d/l of the fox itself.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a0x4alxsnm0
It's me. That guy.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

KK I'll try it now, theres only 5 scatter beams on each side? Figured you would just blow off the front arms, then once its quads and frontal Tac's are gone it should be alittle easier. I'll test it out and nerf her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mediafire.com/?4udyyzzj5zj

Renegade Flagship V3 (Balanced in my opinon)

Heavily nerfed Renegade Flagship, dropped all stats, removed some weapondry, should be doable now hopefully lol. *Goes to test*

LOL placed the scatters alittle to well, removed them completely :twisted:

--------------

Ok yeah its fairly balanced with the Fox now, the scatters were the major problem. Still might deserve final boss status :D I managed to blow that thing apart, but it was still very very challenging. Half the fun is exploring how to beat the boss, so it may seem hard until you realize how to do it. Arms are extremely vulnerable, and the two rear flanks are. Now that scatters are gone and the stats lowered, its doable. With the Metal Fox download you have provided, its alot easier to now balance the made boss with it. Thanx, made my job much easier.
Bluhman wrote:Okay, please try and fight your ship with the Metal Fox yourself, because for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to defeat this guy. He moves too fast for me to try and nail the more heavily shielded sections, and the only big weakpoint on the ship is covered with a ton of scatterbeams, which can't be avoided.

Here's a d/l of the fox itself.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a0x4alxsnm0

If ya need a spoiler, let me know. I just don't want to make it too easy on folks. Once you give me the ok, I'll do some custom coloring on her hull. Then I'll start on another boss for ya, if ya don't mind someone submitting more then one entry?

Final Note - Metal Fox is such a pleasure to control, nice work. You making videos this time around :?:

Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Nope, no vids. This is going to be an encounter for everyone to play, but if I find that everyone seems to be having problems, I might release vids showing how to beat 'em.
It's me. That guy.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

http://www.mediafire.com/?7gayxy1idkz

The Renegade Hunter

New boss, pretty fun I think

Not as hard as the last one

Any feedback on the Renegade Flagship V3?

Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Still tough, but at least I can damage it! :lol:

I no longer doubt that it's beatable, but I personally haven't done it yet. It'll probably be a later fight.

Anyway, I'll try your new design.

EDIT: Tried it. It's also quite tough, but I'm sure it could be done. It took me about 3 ships to get about 3/4ths of its shields down.
It's me. That guy.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yeah its kinda tough, took me alittle time to drop the shields myself. But I did it on the 2nd try, which isn't to bad. Hope you enjoy them, I'll do some coloring tonight sometime to polish them abit. Thanks for the feedback. The sign of a good boss is seeing its doable, but having a hard time doing it. Thats what I tried to do with these, now that I have a system to base a boss from. I'll make a few more in the coming weeks, I'll try to take my time on those lol. The two so far didn't take me much time to put together. Was just trying to figure out a good balance with these two.

Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Renegade Flagship V3 is really quite a tough opponent. Took many tries to defeat it with one life, but in the end the Fox prevailed. I shouldn't underestimate the Fox's dragon shot either, I lost both gatpulses in the process but won.

Going to try the Renegade Hunter next.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Thing is, in the actual encounter, you'll only have one ship to do this all with, as well as your repair station, which can get killed, so if a boss takes several tries to defeat, it's not going to be very suitable for this project.
It's me. That guy.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Well, I've just proven that it CAN be defeated with one ship, but you'd need a lot of luck and skill to pull it off (any one who's piloted a metal fox should know how hard it is to land your shots in the right places while on the move) but it can be done. Although if the bosses are meant to be defeated fairly consistently than I agree that the renegade flagship is too difficult as is.

The Renegade Hunter is much harder than the flagship, simply because the quad blasters slaughter you in every stage of the fight, and theres a stage in the battle where the sides and rear are all aegised and there are two pulsars and the quads in the front.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

One thing I noticed.
Megabeams seem to cut though and/or skip over the microthin armor the Metal Fox has. Perhaps thickin it?