Metal Fox?!

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Upgrade done. Let me know what you think.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ch9mjdzv9vz
Rhiawhyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhiawhyn »

Fixed dl I hope

http://files.filefront.com/AD+372+Assau ... einfo.html

Said hint is.. the main cannon is somewhat unstable.. kill the core for the cannon and you might just kill most of the front end.. and or make a nice clear path to the core ;P

Heres a note.. the armor is VERY strong.. the rapid fire weapons don't do a lot of damage.. its just mostly for flack :/
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Ok first up is this thing: The Genogenosis
http://www.mediafire.com/?39hncyymtie
Notes: Just Circle it Counterclockwise. Don't worry about aiming for the Fox will take out the Aegis cores naturally. Keep away from the bees (in other words, don't stay still), and watch out for the surprise!

I consider this one to be desent foe.

And now for this one: The Carbon Wolf
http://www.mediafire.com/?2pzjtl1zdz0
Notes: DO NOT STAY STILL. but that should be obvious already. Keep Flanking the sides, And most importantly, avoid its Predator Missiles, and the occasional Pheonix Breath(Tach Cannon)

This one I think makes a good challange.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Sponge wrote:Upgrade done. Let me know what you think.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ch9mjdzv9vz
Done. Was a very close battle, but it's very well possible.
Fixed dl I hope

http://files.filefront.com/AD+372+Assau ... einfo.html

Said hint is.. the main cannon is somewhat unstable.. kill the core for the cannon and you might just kill most of the front end.. and or make a nice clear path to the core ;P

Heres a note.. the armor is VERY strong.. the rapid fire weapons don't do a lot of damage.. its just mostly for flack :/
Okay. Those normal deflectors are just plain cheap. How is the Fox able to even damage the thing if it can shield half of itself at any given time? Because the fox is so small, it can hardly spread its firepower over a large section of the ship, save for its dragon shot, but that only fires two shots at a time.

Second, the range of the beams is way too long. I can understand that they're insta-death weapons, but do they have to be so LONG RANGED? Sheesh, they don't even give you a chance to retreat to replan your attack strategy or heal.

Finally, not even the back of the ship is a safespot due to the huge amount of demeters that come at you. I know that both the gat pulses and demeters are supposed to be only flak weapons, but they're both very hard to dodge, and a TON of them are flying at you at the same time. As a result, the small damage all adds up and can kill the Fox. This thing really needs to be toned down.
Ok first up is this thing: The Genogenosis

http://www.mediafire.com/?39hncyymtie
Notes: Just Circle it Counterclockwise. Don't worry about aiming for the Fox will take out the Aegis cores naturally. Keep away from the bees (in other words, don't stay still), and watch out for the surprise!

I consider this one to be desent foe.

And now for this one: The Carbon Wolf

http://www.mediafire.com/?2pzjtl1zdz0
Notes: DO NOT STAY STILL. but that should be obvious already. Keep Flanking the sides, And most importantly, avoid its Predator Missiles, and the occasional Pheonix Breath(Tach Cannon)

This one I think makes a good challange.
Okay, first Genogenosis:
Pretty nice. He's quite creative, though maybe a bit easy to defeat. I like the laser and how it works, though. You really do need to keep moving in this battle, and it all comes together quite nice. All I'd really want from this guy is for him to be a bit more... Meaty; more big, intimidating, and longer to fight, but regardless, this boss is still a very neat one.

And with Carbon Wolf:
Got him down too. He also was a very good boss; a bit tougher than Genogenosis. Missiles require you to fancily weave through small gaps in fire, and they do pretty nasty damage. The deflector isn't actually too cheap here; all it requires you to do really is to switch direction to hit the other side. The only thing that bugged me was that he has such a high speed rating, but never really uses it to his advantage, though that probably could've made the boss too hard. Overall, a very nice fight.
It's me. That guy.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Bluhman wrote: Done. Was a very close battle, but it's very well possible.
Great! I'll move onto my second design.
Would it be okay if I made a station boss? Basically a ship with no acceleration so that it turns at a constant rate?
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Sponge wrote:
Bluhman wrote: Done. Was a very close battle, but it's very well possible.
Great! I'll move onto my second design.
Would it be okay if I made a station boss? Basically a ship with no acceleration so that it turns at a constant rate?
Feel free to make any sort of ship a boss. Small, but powerful fighters, Motherships, Frigates, Space Stations, anything. If it can be warped in in an encounter, then it can be a boss for the Metal Fox to fight.
It's me. That guy.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Inferno's Cage
Should be beatable with a single Metal Fox, as long as you don't crash into the walls.

I could pretty it up, but I'd avoided doing so since it's large enough that it might start causing lag if I add a lot of detail sections to it.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Honestly, that's more frustrating than challenging. Once you get the missile launchers down, it doesn't pose much of a threat. However, trying to kill those Drivers takes WELL over 5 minutes each with the Fox's small amount of firepower. If you don't take down all the outer segments before you try for the Aegis, the fox will target one of the Aegis generators and fly into a location where it can't hit it, all while it's running itself into those drivers.

If you want to spend 30+ minutes taking down the outer segments, which isn't hard- just time consuming, you can effectively destroy the thing. If not, you will die just because the fox isn't able to position itself effectively after an attack order. Most of the times you can position the fox manually, but it'll run into drivers while it's struggling around, and if you click too close to another segment it'll target that and position itself badly AGAIN. Granted I'm not very good, and I wasn't trying too hard, I went through 8 foxes and about 14 minutes before that thing went down.

Also, how do you get all those plasma charges to fire? They fired once but never did it again, and I couldn't figure out how they triggered.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

You're doing it all wrong. :? Use the "N" and "W" buttons.
Also, how do you get all those plasma charges to fire? They fired once but never did it again, and I couldn't figure out how they triggered.
There's some sorta bug if you run over the walls, I'm not sure how it works, but somehow all the Plasmas fire even though they have a 20pixel range. I've only had it happen to me once though, and never when I didn't run into the walls.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

The Plasma charges have a range of 20. Very small range.

I'm pretty sure the aegis-toting sections can be slowly sniped down with the Dragon shot, though it could take some time, and I'm not sure, since the first time I tried this guy, I got killed crashing into drivers.

ED: Did it with one try, though, at the end, I died from getting pelted with all the exploding debris. :?
It's me. That guy.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Be more aggressive. It's actually easier to kill the shields when you're up close, and the final explosion won't even scratch you. I can kill it repeatedly and the only damage I'll take is from careless mistakes with the missiles.

Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Inferno Cage is joy. After the missiles are taken out which is simple enough, it becomes a game of dashing in and dashing out between gaps of drivers. It needs you to use normal AI for the Fox though (which is what it should be set to as default for better player control). The Fox is also fast enough to go through the plasma walls before the plasma can track it down, I hope that's not a bug since that would make it much harder (and cheap since the Fox does require time to accelerate and brake).
Royace
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Royace »

Bluhman wrote:Alright, I got a bit of a demo encounter for y'all. It involves two waves of smaller attackers, and a big boss to fight at the end, called Darkwing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2xymtzxeztl

I'd wager that y'all will find it very simple to finish.
I can't download it :(.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Royace wrote:
Bluhman wrote:Alright, I got a bit of a demo encounter for y'all. It involves two waves of smaller attackers, and a big boss to fight at the end, called Darkwing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2xymtzxeztl

I'd wager that y'all will find it very simple to finish.
I can't download it :(.
What seems to be causing it? Can you just not download anything from Mediafire? I probably should stop using that. Anyway, thing is, how can you not download it is what I want to know. Like, does a download link not show up? Or if you click on it, does it not download properly? :?: :?
It's me. That guy.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Bluhman wrote:Okay, first Genogenosis:
Pretty nice. He's quite creative, though maybe a bit easy to defeat. I like the laser and how it works, though. You really do need to keep moving in this battle, and it all comes together quite nice. All I'd really want from this guy is for him to be a bit more... Meaty; more big, intimidating, and longer to fight, but regardless, this boss is still a very neat one.
Ok, Glad to know. Got any Suggestions? Perhaps toughen up the lasers Turn rate? Make the Repeaters OmniDirectional?
Bluhman wrote:And with Carbon Wolf:
Got him down too. He also was a very good boss; a bit tougher than Genogenosis. Missiles require you to fancily weave through small gaps in fire, and they do pretty nasty damage. The deflector isn't actually too cheap here; all it requires you to do really is to switch direction to hit the other side. The only thing that bugged me was that he has such a high speed rating, but never really uses it to his advantage, though that probably could've made the boss too hard. Overall, a very nice fight.
Good. I'll see what I can do. But if you got suggestions here too they'll be helpfull.