Unseen Combats of Battleships Forever

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

One more thing... in your script for 'Inferior', the first officer (I prefer first officer to first mate... sounds more proper) says that the new 'commodore' is questing assistance and yet the player isn't promoted from captain to commodore untill after 'Bunker'...

Other than that though, good job... I think it's reasonable that 'Martyr' could take place before 'Siege', as the derelict of Cherenkov's ship could theoretically have taken a fair amount of time to drift to the point where it arrives on the map in 'Slaughterhouse'.

So, yea, again, I think TH would do well to include these as maybe a bonus that you get after completing the main campaign, maybe with a message something like this...

"So, what about the greatest battles you didn't see? Well, now you can take control and fine out exactly how it happened. What occoured between Nagaya and Chernenkov as Vespus? How did the Pirates defeat Chernkov's fleet? What really happened to admiral Cherenkov? Was the Conversion Bomb as safe as Major Hong claimed? Find out all this and more in 'Side Missions'.

Thanks to TormakSaber for the original mission designs..."
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Captain Trek wrote:"So, what about the greatest battles you didn't see? Well, now you can take control and fine out exactly how it happened. What occurred between Nagaya and Cherenkov at Vespus? How did the Pirates defeat Cherenkov's fleet? What really happened to admiral Cherenkov? Was the Conversion Bomb as safe as Major Hong claimed? Find out all this and more in 'Side Missions'.

Thanks to TormakSaber for the original mission designs..."
Man, I'll be looking forward to this feature in about a few months... :D it's really DAMN interesting!
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Leave it to a roleplayer to make some nice encounters, good job dude. Use that D and D experience to create awsome quest encounters, and excellent storylines. Your doing a fine job of it, keep up the good work.

Man, I'll be looking forward to this feature in about a few months... it's really DAMN interesting!

:!:
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Side Mission D/1 - Endless - http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... ndless.enc

This mission takes place just before Slaughterhouse. It takes place in the Zulu Sector, during the futile back and forth battling that occurs before the player arrives to take over command from Major T. Hong. I present a tentative timeline of "two weeks before Slaughterhouse". In order to play it in the Timeline, play it just after Siege, then play Endless then Infinity, then Slaughterhouse. This side mission is unique: In order to portray the battle correctly, as an endless battle with no real winner, I present the battle in two halves. In this way, the player wins on both sides, and sets up the Slaughterhouse Stalemate. For the first half, you control Major Hong and his men. You have just recieved word from TFHQ about the last transmissions that Cherenkov made before he went silent: The Aliens have some alliance with the Pirates. This doesn't seem to have any bearing at the fight currently; all ships are standard Pirate fare...

~~~

Objectives:
Keep the pirates out of your quadrant of Zulu sector (the green planet in the lower left corner) by defending your Defense Platforms and Battlestation - at least one of the three must survive.
Keep an eye out for Alien interference.
Major Hong's Ship must survive.
Force the Pirate Commander to temporarily withdraw so you can build up your lines.

~~~

During the opening battle:

Major Hong: "What a waste..." *he sighs.* "If this weren't such an important sector strategically, I'd say we should just get out of here. How are we doing with the base construction? And more importantly, how are they doing with it?"

Lance Corporal: "Sir, our bases will be awhile until we finish. We're bringing in defense platforms to help defend the area, but it will be awhile yet until the stargates fnish and we can bring in more battlestations. Luckily, the pirates seem to be in the same predicament."

Major Hong: "Alright... keep on the defensive, then. No sense pushing without our full battalion ready. And keep an eye out for those supposed aliens."

Lance Corporal: "Sir, reinforcements are coming, and the pirates are mounting another attack. Time to go in."

After Wave 1:

Lance Corporal: "We've eliminated their outlying Defense platforms, sir. Beta wing is moving in, we'll have their Hestias shortly. And not a moment too soon, more pirates, sir... No defense platforms this time though. All offense."

Major Hong: "They've changed strategies... look how they stagger their jumps. They're trying to trap us. Be mindful of that. Send in Beta wing as soon as they arrive."

Lance Corporal: "Yessir."

After Wave 2:

Lance Corporal: "They're gating in more defense platforms. I wonder where they got all these resources from..."

Darren Christos: *static... and the transmission blares over Hong's loudspeaker.* "This is Darren Christos, Red Fang Pirates. Why waste your time here? Pack up and leave. We have far more resources to commit here than you ever will."

Major Hong: "We don't surrender to pirates. Move in and remove those emplacements!"

Darren Christos: "Your funeral." *static.*

After Wave 3, and the 5 Defense Platforms are destroyed:

Lance Corporal: "Major! Pull back! It's an tr-*static. Slightly off the screen, the lance corporal's ship explodes just after pirate ships gate in on both flanks. An ambush.*

Darren Christos: "You had your warning, Terran."

Major Hong: "Pull back and regroup! Don't let them destroy our emplacements!"

Sergeant: "Sir, they're all clustered up. I've moved up a pair of Moira from the reserves, we can use their Gluon bolters against the clustered groups to our advantage."

After Wave 4, the Ambush, is destroyed:

Major Hong: "It's... very very quiet. What's going on? Comms, what's out there?"

Comms. Officer: "Nothing at the moment sir. We... can't see anything. Hrm. Wait, there's something I think. Damn, those are small signatures."

Major Hong: *Looks out his bridge through space in the direction of the pings.* "They're not small ships though... hell, they don't even look like the pirate ships. They're painted differently."

Darren Christos: "Say hello to the new fleet, scumbags!" *with this, the newly alien-powered ships release a few portable defense emplacements, and commence their attack*

Major Hong: "What the hell weapons are those...? All units, scramble! Meet them head on! Jackson! Get your Cronus up here!"

After Wave 5:

Darren Christos: "Fine. C'mon Hong, you and me. Let's dance, Terran."

Major Hong: "Like I would take your word for it. Take that Pirate dog's head!"

Darren Christos: "Smarter than you look. Let's go boys, we've got enough for one last strike."

Sergeant: "Major, they've finished gating in one of their battlestations! We should take that out as soon as we mop up here... can't let them get a foothold on the area."

When Darren's core is reduced to 50%:

Darren: *His core activates an emergency thruster, blasting him out of the battle and backwards safely into his lines. "Dammit... Nagaya will be pissed."

Nagaya: "Yes... yes, I am."

Darren: "Nagaya, you're... back. Err.."

Nagaya: "Get out of my sight... and have the Nanz help repair your ship. We're going back in there."

Darren: "Yes, King Nagaya."

Sergeant: "Sir, it looks like they've withdrawn. Once we take out the battlestation.. .well, it's not a victory, but they didn't gain anything either. I hope we can end this soon..."

Major Hong: "Hang on... we're getting a transmission. ... Cherenkov's ship? Heading this way? Odd. I wonder why he didn't send any communications. Well.. withdraw for now, and rebuild our lines. We don't have the manpower to launch a counter strike at the moment."

When the battlestation and Darren have both been eliminated...:

Mission Accomplished!

~~~

Editor's notes: Okay.. .um.. .I know it's not exactly canon to have armies that size. But I can't have ships that auto respawn when they die, and I can't tell when YOU'RE going to lose ships. So big numbers are sort of necessary to cut down your ships, since you get reinforcements. If anyone has any suggestions, please give them. It's hard to give the impression of no clear winner while still making the scenario.. well... winnable.
Last edited by TormakSaber on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Also: I've made small updates to Doorbell and Inferior.

Doorbell has its Pirate Battlecruisers changed to accomodate the new variety in the Official Ship Pack.

Inferior has the same, and now has the addition of a "hero" ship for Darren Christos, Nagaya's Liuetenant. This same ship originally appears in Endless, and Inferior was edited afterwards to introduce it at the same time as the character himself.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

The weapons on Christos' ship are a little difficult to protect from enemy fire, but then again this is true of most pirate ships (including Nagaya's flagships to a large extent)... it's just a little annoying, that's all...'

Oh and could you please get rid of the non-canon ships (Flyer and Glorious Hood)?
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Yep, the placement of weapons on Christos' ship was deliberate. The two rear beamers and the Teller help make up for it though, whereas a normal cruiser only has 2 particle guns and a lone beamer left. Christos has a module, 2 flak, and 2 Beamers.

What's wrong with the Flyer and the Glorious Hood? I can sub them out, sure, but they seemed to fit in just fine with the rest of the Terran styled ships.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

On second though, yeah, the Flyers and Glorious Hoods are a bit silly, aren't they?

Uploaded new versions of Inferior and Endless. Inferior's Flyers are replaced with Zelus and Proteus, and Endless' Glorious Hood is replaced with a Cronus that doesn't show up until the Alien Fleet arrives. Endless should be a much closer battle at the end now, and really have you scrambling.
Stryder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Stryder »

TormakSaber,

These original, but 'familiar' missions are outstanding. They are marvelous in concept, planning, and execution. As the Encounter Maker gains features, I'm sure that you'll be able to realize your vision more and more.

I have a favor to ask: would you please edit the first post to always have the latest versions of each mission?

The details of each changed (and added) mission probably needs new posts to explain those details, and would bump the thread to get everyone's notice, but I'm not sure which versions I have of each mission.

I really want to print out your dialog and play these missions in order. They're among the best we have. Please help me.

Thanks,
Stryder
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Um... sure, let me add the links to the first post. The links are always updated before I make the update posts, though admittedly I don't keep notepad changelogs of what I've done. Most of the changes come about because of changes in the Official Ship Pack necessitating changes in encounters.

When they're all done, I intend to put them all together in one big zip, and I'll also include the scripts for each one so you don't need to look at it on the forums.

EDIT: Links to the latest updates are in the first post, and will continue to be so.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Hrmph, it would appear that I can't even beat my own encounter now (Endless). Of course, in canon lore, you could almost set the encounter not winnable and it really wouldn't matter since it's supposed to be a deadlock slightly in favor of the pirates when you get there *anyways*, but it still irks me. This means I'll probably be uploading a new version of Endless fairly soon.
Ethril
Commander
Commander

Post by Ethril »

While the Flyers are pretty stupid, the Glorious Hood is pretty cool and I don't see any reason to exclude it. It's like a mini-Hecate, but with crazy particle guns. The Hesperos should definitely be in there at some point, and maybe the Kaleun could make a cameo appearance, on the sidelines.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

While the Flyers are pretty stupid, the Glorious Hood is pretty cool and I don't see any reason to exclude it.
Except that it isn't canon, is kinda ugly and doesn't have a Greek name... :wink:
Ethril
Commander
Commander

Post by Ethril »

So make it a pirate ship, as a sort of mini-boss. ;)
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Hrm... boughta new game lately, is why it's not been updated in a bit.

Are there any bugs with these? Anything you'd like to see?

Oh, snd here's a teaser for the next Scenario. The Nanz have repaired Darren's ship, and given it their own flair...