20 VS 20 Team Fleet Tournament - Phase 1 due June 20th

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

mtheminja
Captain
Captain

20 VS 20 Team Fleet Tournament - Phase 1 due June 20th

Post by mtheminja »

Code: Select all

==Hull Points==
|____________________________________________________|
|Core HP Base-|---------------- 300 -----------------|
|Sections-----|----------- 1 per 2 points -----------|
|Sec HP Base  |---------------- 100 -----------------|
|Sec HP Add   |----------- 20 per 1 point -----------|
|====================================================|
|Acceleration |- 0.004*thrusters/sections per point -|
|Turning -----|--- 0.2*thrusters/sections per point -|
|____________________________________________________|

==Load out Points==
|______________________________________________________________|
|Module/Weapon--------------------|----Cost----|-Sections/Unit-|
|=Projectiles=====================|============|===============|
|Pulse Gun------------------------|----- 4 ----|---------------|
|Gatling Pulse Gun----------------|----- 6 ----|---------------|
|Blaster Cannon-------------------|----- 8 ----|---------------|
|Gatling Blaster------------------|---- 12 ----|---------------|
|Quad Blaster---------------------|---- 14 ----|---------------|
|Repeater Gun---------------------|----- 2 ----|---------------|
|Tachyon Cannon-------------------|---- 11 ----|---------------|
|Tachyon Repeater-----------------|---- 40 ----|- 10 ----------|
|Tachyon Driver-------------------|---- 10 ----|---------------|
|Plasma Charge--------------------|---- 12 ----|---------------|
|Missile Launcher-----------------|----- 3 ----|---------------|
|=Beams===========================|============|===============|
|Mining Beam----------------------|----- 6 ----|---------------|
|Scatter Beam---------------------|----- 9 ----|---------------|
|Beamer---------------------------|---- 12 ----|---------------|
|Shock Beamer---------------------|---- 10 ----|---------------|
|Mega Beam------------------------|---- 17 ----|---------------|
|=Point=Defense===================|============|===============|
|Flak Cannon----------------------|---- 20 ----|- 12 ----------|
|Particle Gun---------------------|---- 14 ----|---------------|
|Point Beam-----------------------|---- 18 ----|---------------|
|=Misc============================|============|===============|
|Demeter Launcher-----------------|----- 5 ----|---------------|
|Weasel Gun-----------------------|----- 9 ----|---------------|
|Pulsar Gun-----------------------|---- 15 ----|---------------|
|Sidewinder-----------------------|----- 3 ----|---------------|
|Railgun--------------------------|---- 13 ----|---------------|
|=Modules=========================|============|===============|
|Demeter Pod Launcher-------------|---- 30 ----|- 8 -----------|
|Gosling Launcher-----------------|---- 10 ----|---------------|
|Nano Matrix----------------------|---- 38 ----|- 20 ----------|
|Gravitic Impeder-----------------|---- 18 ----|---------------|
|Platform Fabricator--------------|---- 24 ----|---------------|
|Impeder Fabricator---------------|---- 24 ----|---------------|
|Dieterling Device----------------|---- 34 ----|- 12 ----------|
|Booster--------------------------|---- 10 ----|- 4 -----------|
|Aegis Deflector/Deflector Shield-|---- 22 ----|- 6 -----------|
|Teller Torpedo-------------------|----- 5 ----|---------------|
|Gluon Bolter---------------------|----- 7 ----|---------------|
|Lancet Beam----------------------|---- 35 ----|- 14 ----------|
|Frosch Gun-----------------------|---- 50 ----|---------------|
|Flux Projector-------------------|--- N/A ----|---------------|
|Gravbeam Projector---------------|---- 20 ----|- 16 ----------|
|Rorschach Resistor---------------|----- 6 ----|---------------|
|Thruster-------------------------|---- 12 ----|---------------|
|______________________________________________________________|

Set the Core’s HP to the 300, and the Max Speed, Acceleration, and Turning to zero.
Ship cores must be default, and no modules/weapons may be parented to them. The core may be completely covered if desired, and has no parenting limit.

As you buy sections, set their Custom HP to 100. You may increase this by purchasing section HP upgrades as listed in the Sec HP Add row.
The maximum number of times any one section can be increased in hit points is 20 (500 HP).
Sections targeted by Aegises must be set to 20 HP/per Aegis targeting it for the first five Aegises targeting it; additional Aegises add 10 HP/per Aegis.  This cannot be increased.

Each point spent on Acceleration or Turning will increase the ship's respective characteristic by the amount stated multiplied by the thrusters/sections ratio of the ship; e.g. with 2 thrusters on a 16 section ship, each point gets you 0.0005 acceleration.
Thrusters may be placed anywhere, but must be separated by at least 80 pixels from other thrusters horizontally or 30 pixels vertically (using the edit menu coordinates), and they should be modded to remove the correct amount of acceleration and turning from your ship.

Nothing may overlap more than 10%, be out of contact with its parent, or be resized more than 3 times.
Each section may parent at most three modules, weapons, or sections (e.g. if it is parenting 2 sections, it can only parent one weapon or module). No attributes may be changed for weapons or modules except for colouring.
The sections/unit column says how many sections your ship must have for each unit you buy; e.g. to have 4 Deflector Shields and/or 3 demeter pods, you must have at least 24 sections.

Any AI, AI Range, and Max Speed can be set.
(Rules are at the top for convenience)

Looking for a tournament with epic fleet action? Like making small ships? Like make big ships? Like the team work component? Hate it? Then this is the tourney for you! Ok, time to stop trying to please everyone...

The basics of this tournament goes like this: Players will sign up in groups of any size, although the recommended size is 8, and you're going to have a lot of work to do if you sign up all by yourself. Hopefully we'll get at least 4 teams. Each team is responsible for 16 normal ships and 4 more expensive Command ships. In phase one (props for phases to Daxx), each team builds their normal ships (two per person in a standard team). Phase two consists of revealing your normal ships in a fleet pic + your team name, theme, and backstory (yes, it's required, but just for fun), and building your Command ships (two people per ship in a standard team). Phase three consists of round robin combat (I might include a more-than-2-fleets-at-once bonus round, or something like that, if people think that would be fun), with scores for having the most ships surviving each round.

This tournament is unique for a few reasons. I've upped the resolution of the points by 4, and balanced things a bit in favour of infrequently used weapons. You can pass on/receive up to 100 points to/from other ships if you want. Each section can only parent 3 weapons, modules, and other sections, which will mean weapons and modules can't all be clustered in the middle like usual. Multiple aegises can target the same section, each giving it 20 hp for the first 5, and 10 hp after that. All absolute restrictions on amounts have been switched to per section amounts. Most importantly, maneuverability has been completely revamped. The amount of acceleration and turning you get per point is dependent on placing thrusters on your ship, which takes some effort, acceleration is much more expensive, and Max Speed is free. That's right, we're actually fighting in space, now, people, so Max Speed is just an AI setting, basically. Don't put it too high, though, unless you want to be the team hockey puck :wink: . Suggestions on rules changes and the like are welcome, and if someone would like to co-tournamentate with me, that would be great.

Details: Normal ships get 400 points (100 points, old system), and Command ships get 1200. Arena 5000x5000. First Due Date to be announced.

Teams:

Potential Players, where you meet up and choose teams (maybe, actually just people who've posted, just let me know if you don't want to be here):
ChaosTheory, antisocialmunky, elecboy, Daxx, Anarki, Mjolnir, Ukomalkaizio, Lloyd16, Goduranus

--

News:

June 20th: Phase 1 due.
June 6th: Teaser pics due.
June 3rd: Teaser pics due on the 6th, first phase due on the 20th.
May 30th: Thruster density, Lancet and Frosch rebalanced.
Last edited by mtheminja on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:27 am, edited 21 times in total.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I like it. I may decide to enter by myself, so I can coordinate the whole fleet.

I think the thruster thing is a little restrictive. Accel should be cheaper.

And a lot of those unit/section things seem a little restrictive. Are they cumulative? So if I had 20 sectiosn, could I have 1 Nano and and 2 tachyon repeaters, or would I need 40 sections?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

I'm going to wait until I have tested a bit more before I up acceleration, because even at that high-ish price, it would be possible to make small ships with over 10 speed that still maneuver decently well enough to be useful, and it's not actually all that exorbitant for big ships, although I'll lower thruster costs to make it easier on larger ships.

Sections/Unit are independent (so you can have both). They're supposed to make a few things tougher to have on smaller ships to offset the cheapness of speed for them, but any specific tweaking suggestions are welcome. The highest restrictions are on items that other ships can benefit from too, because then your smaller, faster ships depend on your larger ships for healing/drone crushing/etc..
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

The parenting of sections is a little restrictive. You're going to end up with some crazy strange ships.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
elecboy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by elecboy »

Thats so weapons are on the outside, but somebody will do something crazy. :wink:
Defiance is key. WTF? What The Fish?
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

(crossposted with elecboy)

It shouldn't affect the overall layout of the ship, as you usually try and keep sections from being the parent of too many others anyways. However, you will probably be forced to put more of your weapons near the outside of your ship, which should lead to interesting compromising between ablative armour and weapon placement. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to allow them to overlap a bit, so I'll change that, but I'd rather not allow resizing unless players really want it.

Should I put people who seem interested in the first post so you can meet up and choose who you want to team up with? I'm not doing alpha/beta/... because I don't know what size of team each player wants to be in, and I don't want people to get teammates just by luck of the draw.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

This is also a lag inducing amount of ships.

Also, cap max speed at 10 or something, why make it varaible?
Don’t worry it has airbags.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Yes, it will be laggy. The university computers run battles quite fast, though, and it'll be worth a little lag.

If someone wants to make a speedy hockey puck of doom (or spend all their points in acceleration so it's a speedy non-hockey puck unarmed ship of doom), I don't see why I shouldn't let them; it seems like poor design, but someone might find a use for it. If you mean every ship should have speed 10, that wouldn't work, because then every low acceleration battleship would turn into a hockey puck...
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Holy shit dude...

This is plain awesome. Count me in! :D
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Eh. What the hell. I'm in.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Anna wrote:Eh. What the hell. I'm in.
Mmmm, that's new.

This definitely sounds fun. Count me in as a single fleet, I'll have plenty of work time over the summer.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

(If this bothers people lots, we could switch to the 3 resizings)
That would really please me. I have a habit of resizing, so being completely unable to is a little restrictive, but I'm fine with it if that's what everyone else wants.

EDIT: I'm not so sure about the "100 pixels between thrusters" rule, either. That seems a bit excessive. That's larger than the width of a Hestia.

And a question: How many sections can be parented to the core? Is there a limit?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Alright, I'll switch to 3 resizings then. The core has no parenting limit. For thrusters, I'd like to keep it about that restrictive, so that small ships can't easily get more than 3, and large ships can't just load them on. I might lower the vertictal (width ingame) limit a bit if that would work better, because wider ships are harder to defend.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

mtheminja wrote:Alright, I'll switch to 3 resizings then. The core has no parenting limit. For thrusters, I'd like to keep it about that restrictive, so that small ships can't easily get more than 3, and large ships can't just load them on. I might lower the vertictal (width ingame) limit a bit if that would work better, because wider ships are harder to defend.
You'll have to decisively decide your rules quick before I start constructing my ship.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Ok, changing the vertical limit to 60, if everyone is ok with that.