See Station Encounter (V1.1)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

See Station Encounter (V1.1)

Post by Shiemtek »

Welcome to See Station, Comrade [name], the heart of this barren nebulae we're in. The mere fact that you're here suggests that you've done something to anger someone important, though it's not important what or who. There are a few things you need to know before you begin your tenure here, and I'd like to cover them briefly here.

The first, and probably most important, guideline for you is to stay out of people's way. The natives of the system who dock here are no lovers of our people, and only dock here out of necessity, so be sure to be polite and, if possible, avoid them altogether.

And then we need to address the reason the actual station is here. Do you see that planet below us? That planet is home to a particularly rare ore, which I cannot pronounce, so I won't make an attempt to. The higher-ups of the fleet need it to produce the ships and weapons they love oh! so much, so they keep us pretty well stocked and defended.

But, of course, there is competition for that ore. The local pirate syndicate here are the Söpps, and they have proven to be a constant annoyance ever since this station was built. We can keep them at bay most of the time, but, when they devote themselves to attacking us, they've been known to breach our defenses far enough to cause lasting damage.

I'm telling you this, comrade, because you've been sent here to coordinate the defense of this station in that situation. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, we're blessed to have a good officer to call for reinforcements.

And that's all there -- what was that? Well, it seems you're in luck. We're reading a large influx of Söpp ships en route to this Station. Time to prove yourself, comrade.

Primary Objectives:
- Defeat all Enemy waves.
- Protect See Station.
I've went through the ships (8, including the Station itself. Some ships, especially the IXPX and IXPXI classes were used interchangeably between the two factions), and the encounter itself numerous times, so it shouldn't be too unbalanced (I hope).

Post criticism and the like here, and I'll try to improve it as much as I can.

EDIT: Rather than post a direct link, I've got a Savefile.com project page up, which should be easier to manage ;D. Both the original version (version 1) and any newer versions will be posted there.

Code: Select all

http://savefile.com/projects/808604549
Last edited by Shiemtek on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

I think the IXPX should have a particle gun at least, they kept getting banged up by meteors.

Seems that loading ships is becoming an issue, I'll see what I can do about loading ships before the encounter starts rather than when they spawn.

Oh, that really big ship at the end seems to spawn a little bit off the map.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

It's nice, good and basic, shows off what I'd expect from us since we're still just learning the very basics of the encounter system.

I didn't encounter any real troubles with the mission. It was easier than the official campaign missions, I feel.

Stilla good mission, and... better than what I can make at the moment. I ca'nt figure out how to assign waves and delays...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It's under the misc button.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

Thank you both for your comments.

I've edited the IXPX class, as well as the IXPXI 2 and 3 (now called IXPXI and IXPXII, respectively), to include a particle gun (thanks th15!).

I'm also in the process of tinkering around with the Encounter a bit more. After writing the background, I got a better idea of what I was going for, so I'll probably be updating sometime today.

I'll try to increase the difficulty a bit, as well (thanks TormakSaber!).
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Now I can't play Battleships Forever at all because I accidentally pressed 'load encounter', exited there and pressed 'play encounter'. :(

[Edit]It works fine now! I have to say that it's a nice little encounter and I like those ships too.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Eh? You can't play at all? That's odd, well that particular bug will be fixed anyways. Just gotta finish up a few other things before I release it.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

th15 wrote:Eh? You can't play at all? That's odd, well that particular bug will be fixed anyways. Just gotta finish up a few other things before I release it.
Well, that seemed to be a temporary problem and on 3rd time when I loaded the game, it worked.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I enjoyed it... the smallness and vulnerability of even the largest and most powerful ships avaliable initally (the Ixpxi 3) helped add to the urgancy of the situation... Once I got bunkered down though, with two I3's and the Beamer (as well as three I1's for support) shooting down the enemy Executers as they came in was a piece of cake...

Finally, the Evangellion and Angel Grand warp in... that was a pretty epic battle... sweked in the AG's favour somewhat perhaps (even without flanking support from my I1's), but still enjoyable to watch.

Nice job overall... :)
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

Changed a few things with the encounter:
Version 1.1 changes:
- Ship Names Changed. IXPX retained it's designation, while the IXPXI 2 and IXPXI 3 became the IXPXI and IXPXII, respectively.
- The IXPX line, including the IXPXI and IXPXII, recieved particle guns to combat the meteors and debris from other ships (thanks for the suggestion, th15!)
- Corrected descriptions with the ships, such as attributing a specific ship with it's faction, correcting spelling/grammar mistakes and making them more detailed.
- Added 3 waves to, hopefully, increase the difficulty a bit
I'm considering making this more of a campaign itself, which means the Angel Grand and Evangelion battle might be taken out at the end in future versions. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Direct Link:

http://savefile.com/download/1379257?PHPSESSID=
Project Link (See first post):

http://savefile.com/projects/808604549
Zeybrin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zeybrin »

well i haven't tried the new one but the old one I kept getting pissed because my ships would destroy an enemy and then get totally annihilated by the ships floating debris. .

it was like -boom-. . . BOOM BOOM BOOMMMM -i have 2 ships left. . .-

-camera pans to me hitting face on my keyboard-
I smell information! o_o;
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

Zeybrin wrote:well i haven't tried the new one but the old one I kept getting pissed because my ships would destroy an enemy and then get totally annihilated by the ships floating debris. .

it was like -boom-. . . BOOM BOOM BOOMMMM -i have 2 ships left. . .-

-camera pans to me hitting face on my keyboard-
Yeah, th15 mentioned something about meteor defense, so I added Particle guns to the IXPX ships, which solved that problem pretty well ;D.