3rd Custom Ships Tournament: Fleets [Submission Closed]

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

Yikes, my match could have gone either way in a heartbeat...

and now I feel even worse for still getting my tourney done. Damn intro movie is taking forever to make!
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

If my battle went on for 8 + minutes kenshins ships would have been stripped clean by my decoy ship with its lancets. I should definetly be the victor if stripped ships count as a victory. My decoy hit kenshins ships easily with its lancets? Or do you have to totally destroy your opponents ships to win? Eitherway great video thanks, I definetly came out on top there. Should have made my other ships as fast as my decoy. :D
And there was even one clean shot through all his ships with lancet fire at one point. My decoy ship never missed his ships with its lancet fire. So eventually kenshins ships would have been weaponless hulks. DarkenShroud (in his own mind :wink: ) Victorious !!!!!!!!! That video was great though, no need for a second round. It'll just go down the same, and his ships would get stripped eventually. Or get caught in a spray of Tac fire and scatter if they decided to turn on my other two :twisted:
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

Stripped ships do not count as a victory.

Fixed the draws video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udA_g-_KSKw
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Bummer..... :oops:

Still I had him running in circles lol, and left completely unable to do anything. Thats kinda the point of my fleet, and the decoy being able to strip ships so they are useless and fleets not being able to get her. Guess if I had known I would have went more firepower (missles/pulsars) and no lancets lol. Still rocking thanks for the video, gotta put it in my favorites.

Awsome battle to ASM and Master Chief. You guys made some nice small killing machines there. I'm looking to them to dominate the other teams, or at least do extremely well.. But its still early we shall see.

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

DarkenShroud wrote:Awsome battle to ASM and Master Chief. You guys made some nice small killing machines there. I'm looking to them to dominate the other teams, or at least do extremely well.. But its still early we shall see.
Ha! We'll see. Looks like my beamer strategy has worked against another fleet using something just about the same...so what's to say it won't work against projectile ships?

And did I tell you that I chucked 6 point-beams on each of my ships? Bye bye tachyon spam... :P

@ CmdPrompt: Awesome work, sir. I appreciate it that you're posting vids of the battles. Well, what more could I expect? :D
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Just for the record, my ships were deployed backwards. Nimbus needs to be infront of the two Maelstroms. Good fight all around though. Nothing to completely owned except for Balls to the Walls, Deflectorless Affront.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:Deflectorless Affront.
Hmm. Master Chief's Law of Tournamental Decimation:
No Aegis Deflectors in Tournament Rules + No Deflectors despite Tournament Rules allowing them + Slow Speed + Uselessness of most projectile weapons mounted = Ownage.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Ha! We'll see. Looks like my beamer strategy
ASM and I were doing the same ships for months now perfecting the style. I expected to see a few beamer fleets, seeing as no one wouldn't use a Ros really, and they make flak useless..

mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Doesn't sound to me like he was claiming it has his strategy, just that that is the one he picked. He even says someone else used the strategy too, in the same post.

OFF TOPIC: Out of curiosity, did MC do something really stupid several months ago, because he seems to have a bad reputation, yet I've never seen him flame anyone, post much more stupidly than anyone else might from time to time, or troll all that badly. When he basically admitted to trolling and was banned, I was surprised, because he seems way less a troll than any real trolls I've ever seen.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Just commenting on our experiments with small sleek beamer designs, but the problem with those is the low hp. But really they do have the advantage over complete projectile fleets, cuz they simply can't be defended against properly. Only way to win is to kill them first, or stay out of range and try to pummel them.

MC is just a silly young guy, who doesn't hold anything back with what he has to say. In my opinon. Always a good thing.

CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

Lets keep that out of the thread.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

mtheminja wrote:OFF TOPIC: Out of curiosity, did MC do something really stupid several months ago, because he seems to have a bad reputation, yet I've never seen him flame anyone, post much more stupidly than anyone else might from time to time, or troll all that badly. When he basically admitted to trolling and was banned, I was surprised, because he seems way less a troll than any real trolls I've ever seen.
Responding to OFF TOPIC STUFF: Yes I did. I'm just another one of those slightly immature 13 year old guys you can find. I did do something really stupid before, like troll and flame, but I guess I've been trying to repair my reputation in recent times, after some members on the forums gave me some advice. Whatever it is, you shouldn't be able to see my dark side again in the near future, hopefully. I hope you don't wish to.

EDIT: Let's just keep the nasty MC crap out of this thread.

Back on-topic: Hope my fleet does well against projectile weaponry...and I hope those shields stay up against tachyons...>.<
Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Daxx wrote: Is anyone else inclined to post downloads to their fleets now that we can see them? There are some people's ships I'd really like to have.
I'll also throw in all the landmark ships it took to create my final three. (mostly because it took a lot of testing to make them and I don't want all that time just sitting on my harddrive twiddling its virtual thumbs :P)

Click the picture for the download.

Also included are a few ships I made when I felt like scrapping another ship and starting all over. Invariably they were all inferior to my ships of the line. The are the Buz (which was also released as the Buzzhax in the 200point tournament), the Shachar, and the Lamech.

And a slight correction, the Dikeledi Mk. VI is mislabelled as one mark higher than it ever got in the picture.

Also somebody may have found the Dikeledi in the ships database already, I accidentally uploaded it when I was trying to upload the Manyara. I think I fixed the link before anyone saw, though. :D
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

DarkenShroud wrote:
Ha! We'll see. Looks like my beamer strategy
ASM and I were doing the same ships for months now perfecting the style. I expected to see a few beamer fleets, seeing as no one wouldn't use a Ros really, and they make flak useless..
Fast beamer ships are just very good in this tournement where deflectors and nanos couldn't keep a damaged section from getting blown off in two shots. This was the over arching objective that I used. If I could methodically kill sections while surviving against enemy fire, I would do fine.

First, I tried a slow beamer boat for the ATM tournement but the armor required for that was prohibitable expensive. Also, It couldn't get a good firing solution of the enemy. Thus, I decided to throw everything into speed. The free frigate points made that even more attractive.

On a side note: The main observations that I collected in my experiments from the 200 point tourney was that a hybrid beamer/blaster ship was the most efficient ship design much to the inconvience of Trashman who couldn't kill my ships. :roll: However, since the HP was so low in this tournement, a full beamer solution was quite viable.

However, the problem was that beamers had hard time engaging other fast beamers and would take lots of damage from smaller ships that fire into the circle created by a beamer-beamer fight. Therefore, I had to create a ship to kill enemy beamers. It doens't look like it was THAT successful. I probably needed to use the speed 3.4 version.

Now, this fleet was quite balanced against most things, but it wasn't and is not invulnerable. If you look in my test ships packet, there's a ship called 'Unified Field Theory' which is influenced by a battleship design I had that could actually defeat fast beamers when deployed in a delta formation.

The key here were the missiles. Since the flak feedback loop increase flak damage the more projectiles there are, on screen - a small amount of high damage projectiles with high interceptability could do alot a damage to a flak only ship. Along with a hybrid beam/blaster load out and in a delta formation, fast beamer ships could be brought down by a combination of good tactics and screwy AI.

However, those results were less than consistant and totally vulnerable to Tacs and Kenshin ships.

PS. CMDPROMPT, DEPLOY MY SHIP IN A LINE WITH NIMBUS IN THE MIDDLE, THE DELTA FORMATION WILL PROBABLY NOT WORK IN SUCH CLOSE PROXIMITY.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

PS. CMDPROMPT, DEPLOY MY SHIP IN A LINE WITH NIMBUS IN THE MIDDLE, THE DELTA FORMATION WILL PROBABLY NOT WORK IN SUCH CLOSE PROXIMITY.

LOL tourney already started, unless you requested a single file formation in the first place. I don't believe its proper to allow you to have it now. At least in this players opinon. I flirted with fleet set ups for this tourney for a few days. And worked hard on making it functional. I don't think it would be right to allow teams to change there formations/ships/whatever, in the middle of a tourney. But really thats all up to Cmd Prompt, if he is to allow changes after each round, I would love to lower the AI range on my scatter beam ship and my mega tac one. I totallly screwed up there AI ranges. :twisted:

But again now that you seen something will not work, you should not be able to change it for the tourney has already begun. But if theres gonna be changes allowed, I would like to lower the AI ranges on the Nightmare and Prophecy by 50 :wink: