Assault the Mothership 2 - Team Alpha

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Daxx
Captain
Captain

Post by Daxx »

Master Chief wrote:
Himura.Kenshin wrote:But will you survive the MOTHERSHIP?
That's rather obvious, don't you think so?
I wouldn't take anything for granted.

We don't know all that much about the Mothership, let's be honest. We can fight test ships all day long, but if that son-of-a-bitch has a negative range Dieterling and ridiculous turning, or is incredibly fast, or has a whole bunch of extra weapons we weren't expecting, or has extra deflectors, or whatever, it could totally catch people off-guard. Devoting resources to the team-vs-team aspect means that you're lowering your chances against the Mothership.

Of course, if you're really that confident...
[/post]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Daxx wrote:I wouldn't take anything for granted.

We don't know all that much about the Mothership, let's be honest. We can fight test ships all day long, but if that son-of-a-bitch has a negative range Dieterling and ridiculous turning, or is incredibly fast, or has a whole bunch of extra weapons we weren't expecting, or has extra deflectors, or whatever, it could totally catch people off-guard. Devoting resources to the team-vs-team aspect means that you're lowering your chances against the Mothership.

Of course, if you're really that confident...
Hmm...you do have a point though. 'Infinity has already confirmed that the Mothership won't be faster than the old one, but it is most likely that the MS will have a certain load of unexpected weapons, like scatter beams, which will be hell to most close-range ships. With a Dieterling, that shouldn't be too big a problem, but yeah...I admit that could cause slight problems. And with deflectors...the test ship already has with a fair crapload of deflectors which DID slow everything down somewhat. Well, I guess everyone has to just pray for the best against the MS, and that 'Infinity doesn't modify his ship before the tournament begins...

I'm not really that confident, though. It's rather obvious that anything's up to chance. Anything.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I think we should submit a fleet combat formation to Endless for the Fleet vs Fleet. My tests imply show that or fleet gets surrounded and takes heavy casualties when we use the 'stack of doom' approach. I think my three lines of attack are much more balanced.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Stack of DOOM = ownage against the MS
Stack of DOOM = loss to other fleets?

I'm quite sure this has something to do with the speed of our ships...we are slower than other teams, that's probably the reason why we get surrounded.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

If we start in a stack, we get surrounded by the enemy because the enemy can deploy wider and surround the stack aby the time it gets towards the center.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

I agree that a starting stack does not work and success looks like it will be very much a matter of how we arrange the starting positions. Still too soon to be sure (much testing to do), but I think the two fastest ships on the outsides (Citrus on one end, Cuddlefish on the other end) to try and pull away their flankers and protect the rest of the ships from getting back stabbed. Turtle in the middle to attract attention, and I think Marble & Midget need to be side by side to make best use of their beams.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I think that our 2 beamers need to be towards the edges, our pulsar ships need to be in the back and to the sides while the Jormungand and Turtle sit in the center.

Citrus usually dies first while the Cuddlefish can take care of its self with all that ablative armor for a little bit so I vote that those ships are deployed almost in the corners.

Good news is that our beamers are ridiculous. The main thing we need to worry about are other beamers like Beamitzer or CT's ship, tac ships like DS's ships or father Tac, and maybe something I've missed.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Guys...I guess it would be actually better to use beamer ships the next time the ATM tournament comes around again. Tested 8 fast and compact identical ships with 8 beamers, 6 PBs, and 2 lancets on them each against the MS, and they won with extreme regularity (15 runs out of 15) and all of the ships didn't even lose a single section at all! :( Extremely shocking, since two of our team's ships are suicide ships, another two are pulsars, another two are support/lancet, and the last two are beamers. And those eight beamer ships took a hell lot less time to massacre the MS than what we usually take.

But I guess it's a little too late for me to bring this point up...since 'Infinity has already started the tournament proper.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

True, but I rather not force people into making a particular type of ship. About a hundred pages back, I made Speedy to demonstrate that point.

A horde of fast beamer ships will kill anything. But its boring.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:A horde of fast beamer ships will kill anything. But its boring.
But it's still damn efficient, though. Ignores all of the god-damn PD on whatever MS you're fighting. Even the Rorschachs.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Its still boring. If you want to see ridiculous, make a speed 2-3 battleship stuffed with mining beams.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:Its still boring. If you want to see ridiculous, make a speed 2-3 battleship stuffed with mining beams.
I know it's boring! Well, a whole bunch of mining beams wouldn't hurt, would they? :P
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Mining beams are the best weapon IMHO. They for some reason are 'smart' and will try and target non-deflectored sections if it can unlike the other beams.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:Mining beams are the best weapon IMHO. They for some reason are 'smart' and will try and target non-deflectored sections if it can unlike the other beams.
Hmm. Maybe I could use this for the Juggernaut tournament... :twisted:

EDIT: Won't be so efficient...range of mining beams are too short.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

They won't be too short ranged when my ship chases your ship down. :D

Seriously, what the hell are you going to spend all those points on? anything more than 20ish mining beams is almost overkill. 40 is just hilariously destructive.