Assault the Mothership 2 - Team Alpha

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

QwiceNitely
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by QwiceNitely »

Would there be any way we could position our fleet so that the MS has to spawn between us? If we could do that, we could force the mothership to have to turn and engage one half of the fleet or the other, leaving it's back exposed for the rest of the fleet. Just a thought
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

QwiceNitely wrote:Would there be any way we could position our fleet so that the MS has to spawn between us? If we could do that, we could force the mothership to have to turn and engage one half of the fleet or the other, leaving it's back exposed for the rest of the fleet. Just a thought
Nope, EndlessInfinity has stated that we get one half the sandbox to place our fleet, and he gets to place the MS anywhere he wants on the other half of the sandbox.
EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

Jafo wrote:
QwiceNitely wrote:Would there be any way we could position our fleet so that the MS has to spawn between us? If we could do that, we could force the mothership to have to turn and engage one half of the fleet or the other, leaving it's back exposed for the rest of the fleet. Just a thought
Nope, EndlessInfinity has stated that we get one half the sandbox to place our fleet, and he gets to place the MS anywhere he wants on the other half of the sandbox.
That's assuming EndlessInfinity wouldn't want to purposefully split your forces in half... I mean uhhh... look, a distraction!
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

EndlessInfinity wrote:That's assuming EndlessInfinity wouldn't want to purposefully split your forces in half... I mean uhhh... look, a distraction!
Huh, where? Hey look over there! *quietly uncouples a power source on the back of the Mothership* :D
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Thanks for the first page update munky. The link for my ship is truncated... http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Alpha.zip
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

EndlessInfinity wrote:
Jafo wrote:
That's assuming EndlessInfinity wouldn't want to purposefully split your forces in half... I mean uhhh... look, a distraction!
Anyone on Team Alpha have a nuclear mine-layer ship? :P

*cough*Back to topic...

As what Jafo has stated earlier, our team wins rather easily if it doesn't get pinned up the sandbox boundary. Our only hope is to actually pray that the team can actually flank the Mothership before it gets pushed to the wall. After that, there shouldn't be a problem.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I wonder how well a kinetic missile would work on that thing. It will probably have a buttload of HP on each section.

Also, check the frontpage. I've updated them with the links to the most recent ships I could find for each member. If you have a more up to date version post it in the Mothership thread.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

That's interesting, because our team seems to lose power when the Mothership is in motion, but lays down the pain when the MS gets pinned to the wall. I think hte important factor is AI, because the MS will retreat if it's traget's AI range is smaller than it's own. Unfortunately, we don't know the actual AI range of the the MS, just the test version.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

ChaosTheory wrote:That's interesting, because our team seems to lose power when the Mothership is in motion, but lays down the pain when the MS gets pinned to the wall. I think hte important factor is AI, because the MS will retreat if it's traget's AI range is smaller than it's own. Unfortunately, we don't know the actual AI range of the the MS, just the test version.
The pulsar ships on our team and some of the beamer ships (Marble, for example) only work well if the Mothership is stationary. If not, they only contribute by lancet (not to mention distract PD), then later tear apart the Mothership after PD is down. It doesn't really matter if the Mothership is pinned or not, what's important is that our team lancets the MS fast enough to stop it from causing too much damage to our ships. After that, we can dismantle it easily.
antisocialmunky wrote:I wonder how well a kinetic missile would work on that thing. It will probably have a buttload of HP on each section.

Also, check the frontpage. I've updated them with the links to the most recent ships I could find for each member. If you have a more up to date version post it in the Mothership thread.
No. NO. Kinetic missiles...are completely useless if they miss their target. Which is likely considering the MS's PD and the amount which the MS could move (with flanking AI). Ships which don't spontaneously self-destruct can contribute to the team effort over a longer period of time, anyway.

And the whole of Team Alpha has my thanks, for being such a great team and participating in the war effort. It has been an honour working with you guys. I would like to especially thank antisocialmunky and Jafo for actively running the scenarios for our team, not to mention everyone else for gave their feedback about them and how we could achieve the best success against the Mothership.

Whatever the result of Team Alpha, I guess we all can say with confidence that we worked together as a team and did our best to protect humanity from extinction.

Thank you, everyone.

EDIT: I just went through the team threads for all the other groups and Team Alpha still seems to be the most active and best suited to win this tournament. Team Gamma's condition is shocking - the deadline is here and only 2 ships are in...while Beta and Delta seem to be coming along rather fine (but still not as good as us - go Team ALPHA!). :D
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

So, lets think about the fleet vs fleet contest.

I'm going to ru na few tests, does anyone have any insights?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

The dilemma with kinetic missiles is that, well, you need lots of high-HP sections AND good speed. No one configuration allows that easily.

And as for fleet vs. fleet, sure a few test runs would be nice...
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Out fleet does fairly well against beta. Its very close.

Our beam ships Marble of Doom and Witch-Maw Midget are the best ships. Marble is comically resilent against tacs since its shaps forces most tacs to bounce over the center part.

On the other hand, Cuddlefish and Citrus are largely useless and get blown to hell by their slow Pulsar ship that inadvertantly covers Kenshin's huge armored turn. Natch's ship is ignored since its so freaking small but that's not too much of a problem.

That's about it. The fact that we have two very good mid range brawlers is what wins the fight for us.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

But will you survive the MOTHERSHIP?

>=D

EDIT: Oh wait, they have a smiley for that >.>

:twisted:
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

While the Citrus and Cuddlefish are useless in the fleet battle, they are useful against the test Motherships. Which is why they exist.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Himura.Kenshin wrote:But will you survive the MOTHERSHIP?
That's rather obvious, don't you think so?

EDIT: All four teams (especially Alpha and Delta) should be able to defeat the Mothership with no problem. The only problem is the possibility of something really unexpected or really screwy which pops up. Which is entirely likely, knowing EndlessInfinity...