Assault the Mothership 2 - Team Alpha

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

sorry, I was using the version prior to this one so I guess you would need the shp file....
here it is:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Mk4-b.shp
QwiceNitely
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by QwiceNitely »

After much exam stress finally got a second to sit down and throw together a ship design available here (EDIT: Realized that one of my gatling blasters was covering an aegis deflector, moved it and updated the url to reflect this change) http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... evised.shp

New build of the Jormungand forgoes all armament but gatling blasters and railers, which sounds worse but in practice seems to function significantly better than the other incarnations I was playing around with. Flanking AI helps it get in behind enemy ships and really bring some firepower to bare, looking forward to feedback!

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Thanks a lot for the updated version.

Can't hope to see how much it can screw up the Mothership's PD...
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I should make a suicide GAT ship like Delta/Gamma was trying to do to distract PD.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:I should make a suicide GAT ship like Delta/Gamma was trying to do to distract PD.
We already have two.

So I guess it should be enough.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Nice updates to both the Sogeki & Jormungand!

Sogeki - This ship really takes advantage of our team to work well with the rest of the ships. Very nice design to fit in smoothly. The distance that it keeps from the Mothership, coupled with its speed, acceleration & PD works very well. The lack of shields does not hurt it at all. In somewhere around 15-20 runs, it has only twice lost one section of shielding. The large amount of fire that it throws out allows either it, or another ship's fire to penetrate and hit the Mothership much earlier than was being seen before, due to the PD now being overwhelmed.

Jormungand - with the change to flanking AI, your ship now lasts much longer when the Mothership goes after it. Against a Mothership with normal AI it still has troubles and dies somewhat quickly (still much better than before). However, I would bet that we would be facing a flanking AI Mothership as it would generally be much tougher to fight, and that is where your ship is much better. In a large number of fights against a flanking Mothership, your ship now lasts through the entire fight. In one epic battle, Marble died at the 2 minute mark, Turtle died at the 3 minute mark. The battle went on for a further 19 minutes with the Mothership (flanking) chasing the Jormungand for the rest of the battle and it could not finish off the Jormungand.

Marble - With the changes to our ships becoming more mobile, a problem has become apparent with Marble (but I think it will be easy to fix). It has very low acceleration and the Mothership is now running over top of it on a regular basis (Marble is usually only just coming to a stop prior to backing up, or is just getting underway in a backup maneuver). Marble is now often dieing as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ship to die rather than lasting to the very end of every fight (it still does last all the way for some fights, just not all of them any longer).

With most battles, Marble is a straight in - straight out type of ship and doesn't normally have to worry much about turning (also helps that the Mothership does not normally lock onto the Marble). I think moving a couple of points or so from Marble's turning to acceleration would make a big difference. Please consider making a change (possibly along the lines of my suggestion below)...

Marble current : Accel: .03 = 3 pts, Turning: 0.72 = 9 pts.

Marble suggestion: Accel: .05 = 5 pts., Turning: 0.56 = 7 pts.
EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

Tsakara wrote:sorry, I was using the version prior to this one so I guess you would need the shp file....
here it is:
Make sure you put in the correct armor amounts - gave this version a quick look and quite a few sections have default values.

And pretty colours by the way, they made me go "oooo" when it first fired ;)
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

EndlessInfinity wrote:
Tsakara wrote:sorry, I was using the version prior to this one so I guess you would need the shp file....
here it is:
Make sure you put in the correct armor amounts - gave this version a quick look and quite a few sections have default values.

And pretty colours by the way, they made me go "oooo" when it first fired ;)

oops, I'll change that.
and yeah I like the colors too
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

EndlessInfinity wrote:And pretty colours by the way, they made me go "oooo" when it first fired ;)
Alien: "OOO! Nicey brighty leetle firewuurks!"
- Last intercepted transmission from the second Alien Mothership
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

We need a signature picture for Team Alpha.
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

if you change our name to the Firefly Initiative I have a bunch of sig bars.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

We need to edit the first page.
Still makes me look like a slacker that hasn't done anything.
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

Firefly Ini user bars:
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

What ever happened to sanders?
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

antisocialmunky wrote:What ever happened to sanders?
At least he dropped a ship in before becoming dormant. While it is nice to have active members, better to at least have a ship to submit rather than nothing.

Nothing fancy in this layout, and this is what I have been using for all my test runs vs. all the test Motherships. The furball at the start (all ships except CuddleFish & Citrus) works its way out nicely as they react to the Mothership's start location and movements. I ran a few tests with the Mothership in various starting positions to see if there is a problem and I couldn't find one. This starting arrangement seems best for our group. If no objections I will submit this to EndlessInfinity as our starting grid (easy for him to setup as well). :D