Assault the Mothership 2: Team BETA discussion

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Anarki wrote:Yeah, but if they cluster, that means weapons like Tachyon Repeaters will be more effective, since they can hit multiple targets.
Yep, that happened when I tested my HBP ships against the old mothership. They all formed into a massive ball, got shredded by the megatachyons, and then got even more shredded by the parts blown off by the megatachyons, causing the ships to explode. Which sent even more shrapnel out, killing all of the survivors. :cry:
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

I hope the real mothership 2 doesn't have as many flak cannons as the one we're testing with. We'll never get a shot through.
Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Thats actually one of the main reasons I think Alpha Team had so much trouble with first mothership. The could get past the massive amount of laser PD the test ship had, but the real mothership could stop a lot of their fire power with just 8 flaks.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
Kalanosis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kalanosis »

I'm testing my latest design now. I've made a bombardment battleship with HP of about 1500.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Sounds promising, can't wait to see it.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

If the alien ship has flak, then maybe it's a good idea to switch to railgun lancet bombardment - strip the mothership of it's weapons.
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I tested my ship against the test mothership.

Why the hell do the ships turn their turrets and fire at the damn aegis'd sections?! They blew off the centre aegis'd sections, then started attacking the ones on the sides, even though there was a huge opening in the middle of the ship - straight to the core! :evil:

My ship would have won if it hadn't kept on attacking the damn aegis. :x
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

The downfall of beamer designs, scatters seems to work against multiple sections if your looking for more of a spread effect. Not really sure what to suggest beyond that.

If the alien ship has flak, then maybe it's a good idea to switch to railgun lancet bombardment - strip the mothership of it's weapons.
Upto everyone else, I think I'm going with the new Mother Goose. That or making a more effective Tac spitter. Either ship will serve the team well, with the strategy (s) we have going. Goose distracts PD, and pummels from afar. Tac spitter brings serious offense to the mix. Not sure in which direction I'll head just yet, still waiting on each members entry so I can see what were lacking if anything.

M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

DarkenShroud wrote:The downfall of beamer designs, scatters seems to work against multiple sections if your looking for more of a spread effect. Not really sure what to suggest beyond that.
It wasn't that the aegis'd sections were in the way of the beams, far from it, but that the AI was deliberately attacking the aegis'd parts.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Try scatters, they'll target more then just the aegis section with how they fire is what I mean. I understand what your saying, thats the downfall of beamer designs.

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

DarkenShroud wrote:Try scatters, they'll target more then just the aegis section with how they fire is what I mean. I understand what your saying, thats the downfall of beamer designs.
Yup. The finalised Aphelion Mk III will incorporate scatter beams...I saw the lethality of these beams only when I got bored and started playing the Career missions again and when I saw my brother (MC2 :? ) creating an uber-wank ship and testing it against the Leviathan...

Scatter beams simply swipe across their target, cause excessive damage when in numbers, attack both Deflected and non-Deflected sections, and also ARE UNINTERCEPTABLE (unless the Mothership, by some very unlikely chance, uses a Rorschach Resistor...

So I guess it's my best shot at contributing to the war effort, if the Aegis Deflectors on the Aphelion Mk III hold up to the Megatachyons (and if the interceptors can wipe out the incoming projectile fire)...and if it can get close enough to cause damage without getting destroyed itself...
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

*Nods* Only problem with scatters is how close you have to actually be for them to fire. Scatter ships need to be built with defense on the brain, or speed to make up for hp to sections.

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Yeah, the easiest way to make scatter ships that work I've experienced is to get the mothership distracted.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Natch's ship should do that no problem :!: :twisted:

antisocialmunky wrote:Yeah, the easiest way to make scatter ships that work I've experienced is to get the mothership distracted.

antisocialmunky wrote:Equinox 2 and CuddleFish

CuddleFish - "I has Aegis."

http://files.filefront.com/CuddleFishsb ... leinfo.htm

Code: Select all

Cruiser

Structure:
Sections: 12
Armor: 2
2 Aegis: 16
Total: 30

Movement:
Speed: 22
Turning: 6
Acc: 7
Total: 35

Weapons/Modules:
4 Particle Guns: 8
Nano: 15
2 Lancets: 12
Total: 35

Grand Total: 100
Equinox 2 - "I has armors."

http://files.filefront.com/Equinox+2shp ... einfo.html

Code: Select all

BattleShip

Structure:
Sections: 6
Armor: 21
4 Deflector: 16
Total: 33

Movement:
Speed: 14
Turning: 9
Acc: 2
Total: 25

Weapons/Modules:
2 Particle Beams: 4
2 Flak Guns: 4
12 Scatter Beams: 24
Total: 32

Grand Total: 100
Nice models for refrence purposes, Antisocial definetly has something going here. I don't really think the nano will make much of a differnce in a up close ship type however. Won't regen fast enough for all that damage it will take if fully targeted. But these models are very efficent, take a look team. I was actually thinking of making something like his aegis ship, but using one aegis and albative sides. Then adding a few mega tac's to go along with the lancets. Not sure what I'll come up with if I do so, haven't tried a fast moving frigate aegis ship yet. Just the Mother Goose frigate wise. Seems to have some potential this Cuddlefish.

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

--New Ship Release--

FishBowl II

Purpose: Point Beam tank, 14 PB + 4 scatterbeams (there are only 11 PB in ths pic, but there are actually 14). The shape is designed to funnel damage across the aegis sections, and the aegis placement perfectly corresponds with the deflector shield on the Fallen Light, making them nearly invcincible together. They also have th exact same stats, so they maintain formation while chasing the mothership.

Suggestions? I wish the ship databse would work already.

[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]