Assault the Mothership 2: Electric Boogaloo![Closed]

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

ChaosTheory wrote:Mmmk, here's a question:

Does this design work? Can I use it as a basis for a ship?

I made sure to include a few weaknesses, such as the fact that the exposed pieces on the end of the dish carry the only wepons on the thing, and the wing aegis sections have at least 30+ pixels space between them, because I can't really measure the spacing from the core. Additionally, the core has almost no armor, and all other rules are complied with.

So, are the gaps between the Aegis sections legal? And does this comply with the "side of attack" rule enough?

Looks legal to me, reminds me of the Cephalopod in its design and function from the PA tourney. Pretty neat, but can it stand against a Tac barrage or the like? Looks kinda vulverable to me, even though it has nice aegis placement. All in all I really like the design, download for testing? Good job Chaos, but I'd have to see it in action to really tell how survivable it is. You test her vs the new test mothership?
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

yeah, aegis on a different aegis'd section is a no-no, though that design definitely looks interesting.

And I took a look at Mr. Wizard's MS - interesting! It's a bit different than the real thing, but you've definitely got the right idea. How it's different, I can't say ;)

In terms of when the deadline is, I wasn't really too sure either - it certainly won't be this week, because I don't even have the mothership on this comp ;). I was aiming for some time after the 28th, and then either posting a poll or letting you folks melee eachother in here to decide. There's no rush, so give yourselves as much time as you need.
edit: but I'm sure you guys will think of something....... interesting!
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

EndlessInfinity wrote:letting you folks melee eachother in here
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

DarkenShroud wrote:
Himura.Kenshin wrote:
Captain Trek wrote:Would it be alright with you guys if I drop out? I'm just not... well... 'feeling' it this time... I don't seem to have any motivation... I fear I'll jeapordise the team with a lackluster design if I stay...
No problems... I appreciate you asked us first. This has in no way affected my high respect for you, except possibly made it higher =P.

And, uh...

NATCH GET YO FAT ASS IN HERE.
2nded

You took the words right out of my mind.

Infinity could you move Natch to our team in Treks place, and add a alt in his spot please? There are a few alts that have posted.

BETA FLEET

1. Natch

2. Anarki

3. DarkenShroud

4. M123 - HBP Pummeler {Short-Medium-Long Range DPS/ Tank}

5. Kalanosis

6. ChaosTheory - Fallen Light Mk IV {Long/Short Range DPS/ Bombardment}

7. Comus - Rao III-G {Bombardment}

8. Himura.Kenshin

Natch wrote:Oi, might as well say it.

Anyone willing to move to team delta so I can be on team beta?
Captain Trek wrote:Would it be alright with you guys if I drop out? I'm just not... well... 'feeling' it this time... I don't seem to have any motivation... I fear I'll jeapordise the team with a lackluster design if I stay...
Anyone respond to this yet?
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yeah Infinity took care of of it.

Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Tsakara wrote:I know we're not allowed to make a firing arc bigger but can we shrink it?
Was there any response to this?
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

No response I believe, but weapons must use there default arcs in the rules. So unless he changes the rules, then I believe its a nono for now.

EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

Mr_Wizard wrote:
Tsakara wrote:I know we're not allowed to make a firing arc bigger but can we shrink it?
Sorry, didn't see that. I can't really see any problems with it, so unless you come up with a design that totally abuses something I've overlooked, go for it.
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

I could see ways that confining firing arc might be situationally beneficial for multiple targets, but I can't see any way it would be anything but a limitation against a single one.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Turrets don't automatically turn with the ship and they turn slowly. Therefore a small arc = no mroe of that crap.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

antisocialmunky wrote:Turrets don't automatically turn with the ship and they turn slowly. Therefore a small arc = no mroe of that crap.
True, but it won't even begin acquiring until it's in the arc. Plus, you can keep a bead on a ship longer even when turning.
Stormcaller
Commander
Commander

Post by Stormcaller »

Aye- but how often would you turn away when facing one ship? Other than the Deiterling, I can't think of that often, and in that situation you're dealing with the benefits of a faster ship turn rate while losing the benefits of a larger arc.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

It also allows more weapons to acquire at a given angle.
Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

EndlessInfinity wrote:
Mr_Wizard wrote:
Sorry, didn't see that. I can't really see any problems with it, so unless you come up with a design that totally abuses something I've overlooked, go for it.
Fantastic! Really, its a fix for Beamers. As it is now they keep firing at the most forward sections (you know... those aegised sections) Even as they are flanking. Lowering the arc allows them to behave more intelligently (so much as "SHOOT STRAIGHT DAGNABBIT" is intelligent :roll: ) Otherwise those flankers just keep shooting the front, even when the ship has a nice view of MS1's rear. This remedies that. :D doesn't sound bad, does it?
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Mr_Wizard wrote:Fantastic! Really, its a fix for Beamers. As it is now they keep firing at the most forward sections (you know... those aegised sections) Even as they are flanking. Lowering the arc allows them to behave more intelligently (so much as "SHOOT STRAIGHT DAGNABBIT" is intelligent :roll: ) Otherwise those flankers just keep shooting the front, even when the ship has a nice view of MS1's rear. This remedies that. :D doesn't sound bad, does it?
Actually, that sounds very, very good! Going to check this out myself.