Assault the Mothership 2: Electric Boogaloo![Closed]

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

EndlessInfinity wrote:Time for more wine!
Its ALWAYS time for more wine.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

DarkenShroud wrote:3. I am only trying to find out what is legit and not legit, and testing the rules system to show everyone what is ok and not ok. Please stop taking it as a bad thing cuz its not meant to be.
Well, it does get kinda annoying when you push the rules to their absolute limits and make tiny adjustments, then ask again . . . why not just take the rules at face value instead of trying to get an exception from EI? The rules say you can't defend one complete side of attack with Aegis, and that seems pretty easy to follow, so make a ship without one side entirely defended by Aegis . . .

Pardon me if I am being a little too harsh here, but the kind of mindset you are using to build ships is the same mindset that forces the US Congress to make thousands of laws and try to cover every possible loophole, because people refuse to simply use common sense. They try as hard as they can to obey the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law . . . leading to a petrified government. And then they feel cheated when a judge with some sense hands down a sentence for a crime that was, technically, legal by some strange, unknown loophole that they found a way to exploit. I hate that ideology, and would prefer to remove it altogether.

Shady is not good. Shady thoughts lead to shady behavior which leads criminal behavior and/or honest people being cheated.

Creative is good. Creative thoughts leads to creative behavior which leads to creative works of art, inventive architecture, and a more interesting world.

Perhaps I am too analytically cynical about the state of humanity.
DarkenShroud wrote:Natch's ship is about the most shady thing out there submitted by anyone, I applaud his efforts. I am just doing the samething, trying to find as effective a ship possible using the rules and testing whats ok and whats not.
Uh, what? :?: Natch's ship isn't very shady at all . . .

[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

The rules say you can't defend one complete side of attack with Aegis, and that seems pretty easy to follow, so make a ship without one side entirely defended by Aegis . . .
Thats why I changed it to be acceptable silly, and made sure with infinity it was so lol. I submitted it thinkin it was acceptable/legal, and he said he wouldn't allow it end of story lol. Wasn't sure how to make my idea acceptable with Endless, so I experimented till he said it was ok. That way in the future I and others would know what is ok in his book. Thats the way to go about things right? I realized my section was to close to covering one side after infinity let me know, so I added a smaller section, making it acceptable.

Natch's ship is super effective, thats the samething in my vocab as shady. Guess your confusing my lingo or something, shady to me means very effective at what it does, but can also mean underhanded. I can see where your confusing my words, I still think I am being extremely creative. And promoting others to be as well, if something I built was illegal I didn't plan on it. Endless told me he wouldn't allow it, so I changed it to something he would allow. Thats what your supposed to do, make sure something is ok and then run with it. Creative also can go hand in hand with the word shady and effective, all can mean differnt things in the same word. It all depends on whos mouth that word is coming from, I think I am being very creative thus far. If my creativity is seen as shady or trying to bend the rules, then its not meant to be so. I build ideas I think of, I try to make them within the rules. If they end up being disallowed, then I make them legit and make sure they are so. Again thats the way you are supposed to go about things. Not just scrap your idea entirely, you try to make it work till it does or you find it has no chance of working.
you push the rules to their absolute limits and make tiny adjustments, then ask again . . . why not just take the rules at face value instead of trying to get an exception from EI?
If a idea is said to be not allowed, then you make your idea allowed. That is how things are supposed to be, you just do not throw your idea away. I made a ship within the rules, Endless didn't like it. I made another ship within the rules he liked, not that big of a deal really. Just wanted to make sure my idea was cool with him, so I submitted another. I tried to remain within the rules the entire time while doing so, I am sorry if any feel that I purposely made a unacceptable ship. I thought my idea was acceptable, it was said to be not. So I made sure to make it right before I moved onto others. That to me is doing the right thing, and going about things the right way. Giving people a example of whats ok and not ok at the sametime, which is also a positive thing.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Manifold1
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Manifold1 »

Yay reserve ^.^

Should I post my ship here? (I know, I made one already...)
Yay again!
EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

Manifold1 wrote:Yay reserve ^.^

Should I post my ship here? (I know, I made one already...)
Yay again!
Go for it! I know in the last tourney, two reserve ships made it in and I've already had to make one substitution, so giving everyone a chance to comment on your ship would be great :D.

And on the topic of rules and junk, I've think I've kinda said my peace so I'm going to stay out of it (that and various alchohols plus pizza and wings = a chemical mixture that probably doesn't put me in the best state of mind ;)). I guess my only other thing to add is part of my defensiveness in regards to the whole "what's right and what's wrong thing" just stems from my inexperiance as a tourney-head-person. So yah, I'll let everyone fight it out and keep all the booze you're willing to give me ;).
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/EndlessInfinity/Endsig.jpg[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

So yah, I'll let everyone fight it out and keep all the booze you're willing to give me .

:D Who's fighting :?:

*Stops at the local liquor store, grabs up a bottle of Grey Goose. Mixes up some drinks, and toasts what he hopes will be a victory against the 2nd Mother*

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

If you really want an cheap Aegis ship, just stick some big chunks of ablative armor poking out the side.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yep already did that to some extent, was thinkin of employing that idea if I go with a Tac spitter or close up ship in general. If I do go with that idea, best way to do it is to put a nice chunk of points to those albative sections and the aegis ones HP.

If you really want an cheap Aegis ship, just stick some big chunks of ablative armor poking out the side.

Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

Does any one when this tournement will start?
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Too... Much... Lack... of... Grammar...

EndlessInfinity posted when the tourney will start in his first post. Flex those reading muscles.

BTW, when will you update the ship roster?
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

Do not blame me for the grammer problems. and the front post does not say a date, only a week. read this to see how bad my english is.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1640
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Mmmk, here's a question:

Does this design work? Can I use it as a basis for a ship?

I made sure to include a few weaknesses, such as the fact that the exposed pieces on the end of the dish carry the only wepons on the thing, and the wing aegis sections have at least 30+ pixels space between them, because I can't really measure the spacing from the core. Additionally, the core has almost no armor, and all other rules are complied with.

So, are the gaps between the Aegis sections legal? And does this comply with the "side of attack" rule enough?

[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

It looks fine.

Good concept. I'm skeptical on execution. I want to see it in action though.
Stormcaller
Commander
Commander

Post by Stormcaller »

Call me cynical, but somehow bypassing the 'aegis cannot be on the same section as its targeting' thing by having each aegis target another section with an aegis on it just doesn't sound to me like it's gonna fly.

It's kind of like having a rule where you're not supposed to tell each other what you're doing, and so instead you tell the other guy what you're NOT doing. Violating the intent but obeying the letter.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Well, I think it still fits the spirit of the competition since sections can be sniped off and the ship as a whole isn't invulnerable.

Though I am curious, why didn't you go with a three Aegis set up?

On parented to the core targeting a section right infront of the core with two on the arms. Thats alot less vulnerable to rail sniping and also gives you 14 more points to spend on those Scatter Beams.

PS. Here's Cuddlefish for review.

CuddleFish

http://files.filefront.com/CuddleFishsb ... leinfo.htm

Code: Select all

Cruiser

Structure:
Sections: 12
Armor: 2
2 Aegis: 16
Total: 30

Movement:
Speed: 22