Halo: Fall of Harvest

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Worth a Sequel?

Yes - Playing as Covrenant again
No votes
Yes - Playing as the Humans
56%
Maybe - Need to work on balance first
22%
Meh, that was good enough
11%
No! Oh dear God that was abysmal! Please, just leave the encounter maker alone you poor depraved loon!
11%

Total votes: 9

Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Halo: Fall of Harvest

Post by Wicky_42 »

Fall of Harvest
My first encounter, featuring my first generation of Halo ships. Please bear with the lack of custom colours and mirroring errors - I'd not been using SM3 for long, heh.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... arvest.enc

On February 12, 2525, the distant farming colony of Harvest was attacked by an alien race. These aliens, who called themselves the Covenant, gave no reason and made no demands, and swept through human controlled space, turning any trace of humanity into glass with their advanced plasma weaponry.

Plasma was not the only technological advantage the agressors had: their ships were also protected by powerful shields capable of repelling all but the heaviest weapons the humans possessed. Only massed firepower proved capable of even damaging the Covenant vessels.

You will play the role of the invading force, starting with but a single Battlecruiser to probe the enemy's defences. A Carrier is enroute to cleanse the planet; your job, and that of your fellow commanders, is to prevent the Humans mustering a defence force.

Defeat the enemy reinforcement waves. Should all of your ships be destroyed before reinforcements arrive then you shall be dismembered for your incompetence and your entrails paraded around the fleet.

---- Notes: The middle of the encounter is the hardest - the ending is more for cinematic effect ;)

For anyone versed in Halo lore, I know that there wasn't quite this much of a battle at Harvest, take this as loosely inspired by...

Remember that this is my first go, heh. The second and third waves can be tough if you're unlucky with the frigates, but hey a little challenge now and again's a good thing :D

It is intentional that the Human ships can get raped hard - I've not studied the fiction in depth, but plasma torpedoes seemed pretty much 1 hit KO if they landed well. Likewise, once the human ships overwhelm the Covenant shields their weapons prove easy pickings for the MACs.

Edit: Just thought I would also point out that your reinforcements will spawn just in front of the planet, once you have secured it. Allied ships will spawn towards the top right of the planet - you can't tell the difference visually, so just bear that in mind ;)

=============================================
Battle for Outlook
Sequel to the Fall of Harvest. Features custom paint jobs and three new ship classes taken from Halo lore.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... utlook.enc

Following the Covenant attack at Harvest a large UNSC force was mobilised, rallying at the small orbital shipyard above the planet Outlook. Outlook housed a small local garrison and served as a military observation post to cover the sector against pirate activity. Alone it would fall, but with luck a successful defence here could halt the Covenant advance - or at least slow it enough to begin mounting further defences closer to Earth.

April 13, 2525, Outlook observation stations suddenly picked up a large Covenant vessel powering up in the planet's asteroid belt. How it had got there was a mystery, but it was clear that the armada had found Outlook. Messaging all nearby ships to rally at Outlook, Admiral Stern lead the ships in orbit to engage the Covenant vessel.

You play a Captain in command of a squadron of frigates. Use them wisely and they can be a powerful weapon. Over the course of the attack reinforcements will make themselves available, including some capital ships. Ships assigned to your control will jump in above the planet, whilst ships under the command of Stern will jump in around the planet.

You are engaging the lead elements of a Covenant armada - be wary, rumour has it that there are more powerful standard combat classes than even the feared Battlecruiser...

Note: this battle is entirely outside of Halo lore :)
Last edited by Wicky_42 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfbrother
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wolfbrother »

HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I like it; you've kept the style well, but the balance is off, the Covies need more ships or better shields as the macs just rip throughs them well they fend off the missiles. Also please post the fleets up and ignore anyone who criticses them badly they are excellently designed.
Caboose
Commander
Commander

Post by Caboose »

Hey, Wicky....

Just thought I might let you know that your link doesn't take (at least me) to a download. Instead, I get a wall of text that I believe would be everything actually written in the encounter file. Could you try to fix this please?
No, wait, go back! Why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?

The United Terran-Grakk'Mar Alliance Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Caboose wrote:Hey, Wicky....

Just thought I might let you know that your link doesn't take (at least me) to a download. Instead, I get a wall of text that I believe would be everything actually written in the encounter file. Could you try to fix this please?
Right click on the link and choose "save target as" or "save link as" and chose to save it as a .enc.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Caboose
Commander
Commander

Post by Caboose »

Ah, thank you very much AidanAdv! I'm so used to just clicking a link and having FireFox do the rest, I did not know how to do that manually :lol:

I will make a new post here with my review on the Encounter!

P.S. Aidan, I am finding myself bowing to your new Avatar pic. House FTW!
No, wait, go back! Why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?

The United Terran-Grakk'Mar Alliance Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Thanks for the positive feedback Wolfbrother :D to tell the truth i was kinda nervous posting this up for all to see ;)

I played through it about 6 or 7 times, and lost the first few in the first couple of waves, and ended up with 4 hulks armed only with their rear gun scraping through to getting the Carrier on one go, so yeah it is hard - but then I like a challenge.

With regards to the shields, it's a pain trying to balance them. In sandbox it took between 3 and 5 cruisers to take down 1 Covenant BC, but the plasma torps are so random and flukey MAC shots keep messing it up, lol. I plan to fiddle with the numbers a bit n see what happens.

I will post up the ships for anyone who's interested - though not the Carrier as I'm really not happy with it atm. (Fun fact: the carrier was originally the BC (it had less guns then) but then I found a scale chart of Covie and UNSC ships and kinda realised it was about 5x too big XD)
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

1 thing, the only ship in the Halcyon class which has the 3 shot mac is the Pillar of Autumn, and thats only towards the end of the war. Most only had a standard 1 shot one. Also, maybe, for shields you could have a really low hp invisible aegiesed section, so that concentrated fire will bring it down, but nothing else, also mac shts may leak through.
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8666/cylonbasestareyevq0.gif[/img]

Mjolnir, Hammer of Thor. Id like to see you try to kill me, and why would you want to take my stuff, its all crap anyway.
spacejunkie
BANNED

Post by spacejunkie »

i like halo
hi i like to build space ships check out my junktech ships !!
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

spacejunkie wrote:i like halo
And does this have any relevance whatsoever to his encounters?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
spacejunkie
BANNED

Post by spacejunkie »

its a halo mission silly
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

spacejunkie wrote:its a halo mission silly
Apparently you haven't played Halo before at all. There is no mission that occurs over Harvest.

And you are derailing, mis-spelling and mis-punctuating to the extent of appearing retarded.
spacejunkie
BANNED

Post by spacejunkie »

omg don't call me retarded its not nice
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

spacejunkie wrote:omg don't call me retarded its not nice
Fine...replace retarded with confused.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

ladies, please keep it clean.

I like Halo too spacejunkie - what a coincidence, heh.

Master Chief there was a battle at Harvest - that was where the Covenant were first encountered. There's an official book about it, but I'm not sure I've read it... think I read the other two, heh.

Mjolnir, I know I took liberties with the Halcyon class, but I wanted a bit of variation in the Human fleets (that was before I learnt the the Covenant only have two class of capital ships...).
The aegis'd sections could be a good idea, but then you loose some of the uniqueness of the ship and it kinda becomes another generic armoured behemoth, albeit a kinda small one... Perhaps a combination of aegis and shields, so the missile spam will deal insignificant damage until a few MAC rounds have broken through. That would add more depth to human tactics perhaps... I could also have weaker rear shields to encourage the use of frigates. Yeah, I'll do some experiments with this system. Thanks for the constructive feedback, Mjolnir :)
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Wicky_42 wrote:ladies, please keep it clean.
What you say?!
Wicky_42 wrote:Master Chief there was a battle at Harvest - that was where the Covenant were first encountered. There's an official book about it, but I'm not sure I've read it... think I read the other two, heh.
There was. But there isn't a mission in the game itself that involves Harvest, which was what spacejunkie was saying.