Team-Based Custom Fleet Tournament (Submission Starts TODAY)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should Dieterling Devices be banned?

Yes. By selecting this option, I acknowledge the fact that I am not using a Device in my design.
39%
No. By selecting this option I either use these on my ship, or think they are fair enough as is.
61%

Total votes: 46

Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

I didn't say it was unbeatable - it was a first draft for me. What I was trying to get at was that the corvette class was overpowered - that without significant tweaking to specifically counter a pulser, it would have a very easy time of it. What class were the ships you were using?
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

(Except you. But then, you're about to be dead.)
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Sponge wrote:Haha... The reason I added the no-touch was because Mr Wizard cited the absence of a limit on weapons per section as a large contributor to his dropping out. Again, there seem to be two opposite schools of thought on this subject. I'll see what others say.
Well, I see that you made the rule change for weapons not touching other weapons. Can you now please spell out modules touching modules, & modules touching weapons? Can any of those touch or must there be a space between everything? Too make judging valid ships easier, I would guess that everything (modules/weapons) should be not touching.

@Admiral Evars - well stating "the corvette seems so overpowered." seemed to be an indication that you consider them very powerful. I was just observing how my first draft of a ship fared against it. I had not made it as a specific counter to a pulsar ship, it is just my design. It is a frigate.

Ohh, didn't know that about the thrusters with the new SB - good info, thanks.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I've had two requests to remove the no-touch rule, and so I may do just that. Personally, I don't see much of a reason to keep weapons/modules so close, but if you guys want to do it...

We'll see how I feel about it in the morning :P.
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

Sponge wrote:. This means that corvettes are at a severe disadvantage to begin with, and as such they would never be used. In a fleet situation, however, I see this as the best way of running a point system. When you only have one ship to build, however, it just wouldn't work.
But this IS A fleet tourney right? These rules are not a for a single ship combat.

What's stopping one player to submit 2 100 point corvettes? IMHO, unless a battleship is specificly designed to counter that, it's done for.

Pulse guns have the greatest DPS of any weapon already, and you make 2 well-shielded, fast corvettes, flankers with several pulse guns each.
They'll rip the battleship to pieces in 90% of all cases.

:twisted:
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Post by _Ti__ »

Sponge wrote:I've had two requests to remove the no-touch rule, and so I may do just that. Personally, I don't see much of a reason to keep weapons/modules so close, but if you guys want to do it...

We'll see how I feel about it in the morning :P.
No! I support no-touch rule!
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2315][b]ENEBRA COLONIAL NAVY[/b][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/_Ti__/ECNsig.jpg[/img]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I'm against the no-touch rule, why shouldn't guns be able to touch?
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Agreed, only one person favors the rule...change it please *Begs*

I'm against the no-touch rule, why shouldn't guns be able to touch?
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Iron Ham
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron Ham »

Droid wrote:I'm against the no-touch rule, why shouldn't guns be able to touch?
Quoted for truth, justice, and the AMERICAN WAY!
A tout le monde!
a tout mes amis!
je vois aime!
je dois partir!
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

TrashMan wrote: But this IS A fleet tourney right?
No, actually. It's fleet based, but one ship per person. You work with the other three ships in your team. That was, at least, my original intent. Again, if the participants would prefer multi-ship submission, then I'll surely change it.

On The No-Touch Rule:
I'm not sure what to do with this one. Two are for it, three or four are against it. I could get rid of it, and then place a fair (say, four) limit on sections/modules per section?
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Iron Ham wrote:
Droid wrote:I'm against the no-touch rule, why shouldn't guns be able to touch?
Quoted for truth, justice, and the AMERICAN WAY!
I support this because as an american, I demand to have as many guns as possible, and to deny me that makes you a pinko commie!

[size=0]Please don't count me actually for or against.[/size]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

I like the idea you have going, I really don't think there should be more then one ship per entry, and I think that all the ships should stay at 200 points a piece. I like my cruiser/frigate the way it is now at 200 points. Corvettes should also stay 200 points, because there would be less ships to judge. Also that would unbalance the numbers of ships that face each other, I wanna see some even numbers and even ship balance. Save the differnt point valued ships for Cmd Prompts fleet tourney. Very much looking forward to that one as well. Why don't you join our team sponge, you shouldn't miss out on the fun.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I stay with a no-touch rule, as long as we can put as many weapons as we like on a section.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

On the pulse spam: I managed to make two ships, that when working together, can take on a pulse spammer. Although one has pulses on it, it never got in range to use them.
EndlessInfinity
Commander
Commander

Post by EndlessInfinity »

You could just make it that after a certain number of pulse guns, the price increases exponentially...
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

derekiv wrote:On the pulse spam: I managed to make two ships, that when working together, can take on a pulse spammer. Although one has pulses on it, it never got in range to use them.
I increased the price on pulse guns on the Corvette yesterday. Are you talking before the change or after?