Team-Based Custom Fleet Tournament (Submission Starts TODAY)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should Dieterling Devices be banned?

Yes. By selecting this option, I acknowledge the fact that I am not using a Device in my design.
39%
No. By selecting this option I either use these on my ship, or think they are fair enough as is.
61%

Total votes: 46

Iron Ham
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron Ham »

Admiral Evars wrote:NOTE: No download until I see others do the same. I don't want to be 'engineered around' while I sit in the dark. Also, the Necro is not final - I still need to playtest it against some real opposition, preferable from the same class. Any takers?
dude, you just gave away your strategy. In the tournament thread.

You may as well just post screenshots with big red lines pointing out every weakness they could exploit. :roll:
A tout le monde!
a tout mes amis!
je vois aime!
je dois partir!
Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

So? I like an 'arms race' mentality...and I'm still experimenting. Nothing is final. Besides, one is never sure exactly how it will go unless they have the ship files.
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

(Except you. But then, you're about to be dead.)
Iron Ham
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron Ham »

Admiral Evars wrote:So? I like an 'arms race' mentality...and I'm still experimenting. Nothing is final. Besides, one is never sure exactly how it will go unless they have the ship files.
I meant to use the :wink: smiley in the last post. I misclicked.
A tout le monde!
a tout mes amis!
je vois aime!
je dois partir!
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Nothing is final

Nothing is ever final really, it can always be improved upon if you choose. Glad to be aboard I hope to give my team a ship that will devistate the enemy.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Seeing how fast the seat are going I'll join team beta (or two or what ever)

Edit:Damn. I'll start team Gamma Bunta

Cookie to those who get the refrence
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

@derekiv:
Added!
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

0.5 ----|----- 0.8 -----|---- 0.11 ----|
I think the points to speed were written in wrong. It should be 0.05 and 0.08, otherwise you only have to spend 2 points to make your battleship a speed of 1?

Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

Seemed weird to me too.
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

I'm pretty sure its supposed to be written in the way I stated. Think it was just a typo lol

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Yup, big typo. Thanks for pointing that out. Should be fixed now!

@Mr_Wizard (below me):
Done!
Last edited by Sponge on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Another one!

Put me up on Team Gamma, and I feel like making something small and fast as opposed to the big clunker's I've made in the other tourneys :D

Also, does the Gosling have any AI on it? I have tried making a ship for it, but I don't recall it ever firing. :?
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

There was a thread a day or two ago about a gosling bug. Something to do with how far apart the ships were spawned was determining whether or not the Gosling fired. Not sure if this bug was fixed in the newest version or not.
Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

I think you have defenses way too cheap (in particular the point beam), and it seems ridiculous to have defenses the same for all ship classes.

As an example, rail guns are utterly useless against someone who has paid less than half of the rail's point value in point beams.

Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

Extra note: It also seems silly to have to pay more for section HP add ons than for extra sections. No point in adding extra HP at all, if one can just as easily add another layer of armor.

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Admiral Evars wrote:I think you have defenses way too cheap (in particular the point beam), and it seems ridiculous to have defenses the same for all ship classes.

As an example, rail guns are utterly useless against someone who has paid less than half of the rail's point value in point beams.
I left the PD the same price for all classes because it didn't seem fair to make one class pay extra for something that is almost required to have. Most Tournaments have one point value for all classes, so everything is the same cost. Also, Rails are tough to intercept, and point beams are very slow firing. If your ship has only rail cannons, then prepare for a bunch of them to be intercepted. You have to mix your projectile types a bit. Fire those rails through a sea of allied blaster shots and they'll get through almost every time.

Flak is cheap because it's inaccurate, and not effective in small numbers. Point lasers are cheap because they fire SO slow. I made the Particle a bit more expensive, because it has a decent fire rate and is pretty accurate.

Onto the armor. It's actually cheaper for Frigates and Corvettes to upgrade their armor plates than to install new ones. By quite a bit, actually. This is not true for Battleships, but there is always the overlap rule. You can't overlap pieces more than 25%, and so the ablative strategy kind of goes out the window.