Team-Based Custom Fleet Tournament (Submission Starts TODAY)

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should Dieterling Devices be banned?

Yes. By selecting this option, I acknowledge the fact that I am not using a Device in my design.
39%
No. By selecting this option I either use these on my ship, or think they are fair enough as is.
61%

Total votes: 46

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Venom.shp

Pretty effective against the sit back type beamer ship you have going, in 4 on 4. I tried to make a sit back beamer like yours, and in 4 on 4 most the time they just stayed out of range of each other and did nothing. So I tried this and it seems to do ok against it 4 on 4. You use to many points to flak, that makes you weak against any type of well built fast beamer design, or others in general.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

On fleet placement:

I am not going to place them at the far corners, but they will not be in weapons' range of each other, either. They will be placed roughly 1/4th from the back wall, facing forward. Fleet AI will be on. I am also considering making it a 3000 x 3000 sandbox instead of the originally planned 2500 x 2500. I will set max range to 9999.

I'm hoping the encounter maker will be up by the time I run the tests. If that's the case, I will be able to do many more trials with each fight to ensure greater accuracy. I will also be able to post the Encounter files so you guys can see for yourselves ;).

Here's how the fights will work.

Each team will fight every other team. Each of these fights will consist of multiple rounds. A round is a 4 v 4 battle. Each won round is one point (see ladder a couple pages back). If the Encounter maker is out, I'll run five rounds. If it's not, I'll do two or three. The two teams with the most points will move on to the finals*. This is also where I throw in my secret twist to encourage more deceit and competitiveness. The final battle will consist of five rounds, encounter maker or not.

*In the event of a tie, the two tied teams will fight another 5 battles to determine the winner.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

DarkenShroud wrote:http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Venom.shp

Pretty effective against the sit back type beamer ship you have going, in 4 on 4. I tried to make a sit back beamer like yours, and in 4 on 4 most the time they just stayed out of range of each other and did nothing. So I tried this and it seems to do ok against it 4 on 4. You use to many points to flak, that makes you weak against any type of well built fast beamer design, or others in general.
It seems I went a 8 points over accidentally so I fixed that in the version I have. I will prepare a response shortly.

(Edit: Hmmm, but your ship is completely defenseless against projectiles, that's too easy - must find more ridiculous brute force tactic. I think I will make a fleet so 'shortly' may not be so short')
Don’t worry it has airbags.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Hmmm, but your ship is completely defenseless against projectiles
Thats because you only used one blaster lol. I'm making ships that can beat the ones you put out in 4 on 4 the majority of the time. So I didn't add any flak, cuz against your ship I didn't need it.

On fleet placement:

I am not going to place them at the far corners, but they will not be in weapons' range of each other, either. They will be placed roughly 1/4th from the back wall, facing forward. Fleet AI will be on. I am also considering making it a 3000 x 3000 sandbox instead of the originally planned 2500 x 2500. I will set max range to 9999.

I'm hoping the encounter maker will be up by the time I run the tests. If that's the case, I will be able to do many more trials with each fight to ensure greater accuracy. I will also be able to post the Encounter files so you guys can see for yourselves .

Here's how the fights will work.

Each team will fight every other team. Each of these fights will consist of multiple rounds. A round is a 4 v 4 battle. Each won round is one point (see ladder a couple pages back). If the Encounter maker is out, I'll run five rounds. If it's not, I'll do two or three. The two teams with the most points will move on to the finals*. This is also where I throw in my secret twist to encourage more deceit and competitiveness. The final battle will consist of five rounds, encounter maker or not.

*In the event of a tie, the two tied teams will fight another 5 battles to determine the winner.

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

DarkenShroud wrote: Thats because you only used one blaster lol. I'm making ships that can beat the ones you put out in 4 on 4 the majority of the time. So I didn't add any flak, cuz against your ship I didn't need it.
Lol, then I guess we won't be giving people very good test ships... *sigh*

Mine can face down stupid amounts of projectiles from those annoying blaster ships.

*I will post my fleet in a hour maybe.*
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

I am also considering making it a 3000 x 3000 sandbox instead of the originally planned 2500 x 2500. I will set max range to 9999.

Been testing alittle with this set up for a map. Seems to give more room to move around, and not get so jumbled up. You have my vote, 3000 seems nice at first glance.

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

3000 might be good but oyu have to be careful to not unbalance flankers.

(EDIT)
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... ervice.zip

The fleet as promised. Its not that great but its pretty entertaining to watch. :D I suck @ battleships so hard. Should have just made a cruiser.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

The larger the map, the more effective flankers are.

3000 might be good but you have to be careful to not unbalance flankers

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

<_< That's what I said. Are you going to play with my fleet?
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yeah I just ran some tests with them, there not bad, but the battleship isn't that great. If your going to move that slow, you need to use missles or something that has good range and accuracy. Good test fleet, my few new ideas however overwhelm them (Keeping them to myself) And my refined models that are already done beat em down. But I do like your smaller fast craft, they put up a good fight.

Sponge make sure to edit in Antisocial in Rogue Thunders place on Delta

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Ground.shp <--better but still not that great.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Team-Based Custom Fleet Tournament (Submission Starts Feb22)
New title for those that missed it, I almost missed it myself lol. If your setting a date now Sponge, best get your butt in gear and send me more designs to check out lol. I think my new idea is even better then the others I came up with, and even more shady. Gonna be a weird tourney to say the least. I can't wait to see all the differnt designs and ideas out there.

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Haha. Still got two weeks :P.

Also, big letters so it's seen easily. If any mod happens by, could you delete my poll so I can create a shiny, new one? Thanks.

Onto the subject.

It's been requested of me to allow fire-arc changing. This change would give lighter ships a bit of an edge, as they already pay more for sections and heavy weapons than the bigger ships. Here are three proposed tables to vote on. That is, provided I can get a new poll up and running. Obviously "I don't think weapon arcs should be changed" is another viable option for this poll.
Table 1 wrote: You may upgrade the firing arcs for weapons using the following table. Each upgrade costs one point.

Code: Select all

Class-----|--Battleship---|----Frigate----|---Corvette---|
Degrees---|------ 5 ------|------ 9 ------|----- 13 -----|
Table 2 wrote: You may upgrade the firing arcs for weapons using the following table. Each upgrade costs one point.

Class-----|--Battleship---|----Frigate-----|---Corvette----|
Degrees---|------ 5 ------|------ 10 ------|----- 15 ------|
Table 3 wrote: You may upgrade the firing arcs for weapons using the following table. Each upgrade costs TWO points.

Class-----|---Battleship---|----Frigate----|---Corvette----|
Degrees---|------ 10 ------|------ 15 -----|------ 20 -----|
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Well, 5-9-13 has the problem of not being added evenly to the size of the firing arc. Ya gotta hit shift+I/K to add anything other than 5.

I'd prolly vote for the 2nd or 3rd one.
AWARDS:
[i]Most Innovative Shipmaker[/i]
[i]Shipmaker With Most Utility/Balance[/i]
[i]Most Annoying Member[/i]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

I vote for no change at all, small ships already have the advantage in this contest, why make it worse. Keep firing arcs unchanged as you feel is right in the first place. I don't feel allowing arc changes is a good thing. If your gonna let it happen at all, then make it like Cmd Prompts tourney, and allow up to 135 weapon arc with no points spent. But I do vote to keep it no change at all, no matter how many points one spends.

Obviously "I don't think weapon arcs should be changed" is another viable option for this poll.
Also it will be much more complicated to judge ships, and add up there respective point totals if you allow changes. So if ya do change things to allow arc adjustment, just allow free adjustment upto 135 degrees. But I am again against any change. But at least with my alternative, it will be easier to judge ships, and people won't have to pay to adjust.
Last edited by DarkenShroud on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.