3rd Custom Ships Fleet Tournament Voting Thread [Updated]

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

could we get some free points for maneuverability for each ship again?
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Free maneuverability kinda defeats the purpose, if we get free stats then we'll be able to add more weapons and modules to our designs. That makes things shady and gives us overpowered ships, I think the way its going is fine, besides for the 2 weapons and mods per section (should be 3 or 4) And the price for tac cannons and devices. All the other rules changes and updates are fine otherwise. Oh yeah restrict impeder fabs for the upcoming tourney, there just as shady as the platform fab's :!:
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

The difference is that we can give scaling amounts of free maneuverability, say .05 speed base for battleships, .1 for cruisers, or what have you.

I'd like to remind everyone that none of this is set in stone, so please comment on everything you feel needs changing (unless you're just repeating yourself.)

I'll change the rules to accommodate 3 sections and other cores.

Changed to:
-Cannot be small, civilian, or defense platform core.
_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Post by _Ti__ »

for scalling, its easy: the sections cannot be larger than 6 squares(or 5, don't know) or smaller than 1
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2315][b]ENEBRA COLONIAL NAVY[/b][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/_Ti__/ECNsig.jpg[/img]
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

I thinkt that pricing scheme for sections is too steep, and speed pricing difference not enough between ship classes. As it is right now, unless your ship has very few sections or is very fast, battleship is always the way to go.

I'd say make it more expensive for battleships to get maneuverability, and less expensive for cruisers and frigates to get more sections.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Just use the rules for section size change, from this forums point system.

Rules summary
Code:
- Ship: You may use up to the specified number of points. However, no bonus is given for using less than the full amount.
- Ship: You may have a base stat of 0, however these are serious drawbacks that you will have to compensate for.
- Body: Sections must attach to a visibly neighboring section.
- Body: Pieces should not be enlarged much, not more than three enlargements in either direction. (Exceptions can be made, but don’t push it.)
- Weapons: Firing arc can be set to any amount less than or equal to 180* (Exceptions being Demeter drones, Quad Blasters, and anything else with a default greater than 180*)
This is reasonable, if you are gonna allow section size change at all. If not then my vote is still for no change at all. These rules are from the 2nd custom tourney from these forums

Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Oh! A tournament I won't be late for :D

I would have to agree with Uranus and say that turning is a bit too cheap for battleships (though disagree with section pricing, I think thats just fine). How about reducing it to .06, and leaving the other two the same. Sounds like a small change but its all in the multiplication. :D

But I would leave the pricing the same. The whole point behind the smaller ships is that they get fewer weapons, and section cost is a way to indirectly control that. Its just the slight turning difference that will better differentiate a battleship from a frigate.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Could another topic be added to the vote? Can we choose the starting posistions of our fleet ? The starting posistions would have to remain through the entire tourney though no matter who we face. I think that would be reasonable. So can we vote on this, or can it be added onto the tourney format? (has a few ideas on tactics)

_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Post by _Ti__ »

About cores:
Frigates can use all
Cruisers can use normal, alien, pirate, space stations
Battleships can only use normal and space station ones.

and again, no section scaling don't makes sense. just don't let sections be bigger than section 26.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2315][b]ENEBRA COLONIAL NAVY[/b][/url]
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

_Ti__ wrote:About cores:
Frigates can use all

and again, no section scaling don't makes sense. just don't let sections be bigger than section 26.
why can battleship only use normal and space station? What about alien and pirate?
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Post by _Ti__ »

TrashMan wrote:
_Ti__ wrote:About cores:
Frigates can use all

why can battleship only use normal and space station? What about alien and pirate?
Im trying to give some bonus for frigates and cruisers, so they can use smaller cores. battleships can use only the 3 biggest, cruiser the 5 biggest and frigates can use all. Sure, its just an idea, it can be changed.

Also, I propose a unified section cost. 1 point = 1 section for all classes. So maybe frigates have a chance.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Also, I propose a unified section cost. 1 point = 1 section for all classes. So maybe frigates have a chance.
I'd have to vote against that, frigates power is in there speed and mobility. It would be to easy to make smaller faster ships with more sections, that can't be touched by those who are using larger ships. The sections/accel/speed/turning point spread is fine the way it is. The only thing I think needs changed is the changes to sections sizes. We should adapt to this forums rules concerning changing sections sizes. Otherwise you will have exploiters galore. Same goes for the 1 point per section cost, then battleships lose the power they get with having more sections for cheaper and are at a disadvantage to smaller faster ships even more then they already are. Giving frigates and cruisers smaller cores would just add to the problem of trying to hit one with a larger slower moving ship, frigates already have the advantage on battleships when designed properly the way the rules stand at this point.

CmdPrompt
Commander
Commander

Post by CmdPrompt »

Theres a couple of rules that have both opponents and proponents; in order to handle this, I went with what gives people the most flexibility in ship making.
Suggestions are still as open as ever.

Code: Select all

Base rules

First step:
-Choose a ship class.
   Battleship: Slow, but large and strong
   Cruiser: The middle-ground between frigate and battleship
   Frigate: Small and fragile, but agile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your ship starts off with these stats
Base Stats-|--Battleship---|----Cruiser----|----Frigate----|
Core HP    |----- 500 -----|----- 400 -----|----- 300 -----| (Appears as Base HP)
Section HP |----- 200 -----|----- 150 -----|----- 100 -----| (Set every section to this HP)
Max Speed  |------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|
Accelerate |------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|
Turning    |------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|------ 0 ------|

For every point you spend, add this much to those stats
Add Stats--|--Battleship---|----Cruiser----|----Frigate----|
Core HP Add|----- 50 ------|----- 25 ------|----- 10 ------|
Sec. HP Add|----- 250 -----|----- 200 -----|----- 150 -----| (On one section, not all of them)
Max Speed  |----- 0.10 ----|----- 0.15 ----|----- 0.20 ----|
Accelerate |----- 0.01 ----|----- 0.02 ----|----- 0.05 ----|
Turning    |----- 0.08 ----|----- 0.14 ----|----- 0.20 ----|

How much adding a section costs (Read / as for)
Sections--|--Battleship---|----Cruiser----|----Frigate----|
Cost------|-- 1 point/2 --|-- 1 point/1 --|-- 2 points/1 -|

Weapons and Modules

Attribute-------|----Cost----|
=Projectiles====|============|
Pulse Gun-------|----- 1 ----|
Gatling Pulse---|----- 2 ----|
Blaster Cannon--|----- 2 ----|
Gatling Blaster-|----- 3 ----|
Quad Blaster----|----- 3 ----|
Repeater Gun----|----- 1 ----|
Tachyon Cannon--|----- 4 ----|
Tachyon Repeater|----- 8 ----|
Tachyon Driver--|----- 4 ----|
Plasma Charge---|----- 3 ----|
Missile Launcher|----- 1 ----|
=Beams==========|============|
Mining Beam-----|----- 1 ----|
Scatter Beam----|----- 2 ----|
Beamer----------|----- 3 ----|
Shock Beamer----|----- 3 ----|
Mega Beam-------|----- 4 ----|
=Point=Defense==|============|
Flak Cannon-----|----- 2 ----|
Particle Gun----|----- 2 ----|
Point Beam------|----- 2 ----|
=Misc===========|============|
Demeter Launcher|----- 2 ----|
Demeter Pod Lchr|----- 12 ---| 2
Weasel Gun------|----- 3 ----|
Pulsar Gun------|----- 4 ----|
Sidewinder------|----- 2 ----|
Railgun---------|----- 4 ----|
=Modules========|============|
Gosling Launcher|----- 3 ----|
Nano Matrix-----|----- 15 ---| 1
Gravitic Impeder|----- 6 ----|
Platform Faber--|----- 10 ---|
Impeder Faber---|----- 8 ----|
Dieterling Devic|----- 15 ---|
Flux Projector--| Restricted for AI reasons
Booster---------|----- 5 ----| 2
Aegis Deflector-| Restricted for balance reasons
Deflector Shield|----- 4 ----| 1 per 3 sections
Teller Torpedo--|----- 2 ----|
Gluon Bolter----|----- 3 ----|
Lancet Beam-----|----- 6 ----| 2
Frosch Gun------|----- 15 ---| 1 
Gravity Beam----|----- 5 ----|
Rorschach-------|----- 6 ----|

AI:
-Any AI and range may be chosen.

The Core:
-May be covered by other sections.
-Weapons or modules cannot be connected off the core.
-Cannot be small, civilian, or defense platform core.

Shields:
-Aegis shields are banned
-Deflector shields are allowed, but restricted to 1 Deflector Shield per 3 sections

Sections:
-Sections can be scaled three times in each direction, either larger or smaller.
-The only exception to the above rule is Section 26, which may only be made smaller.
-Parenting between sections must be logical.
-Sections may overlap other sections within reason. No more than 25% can be covered by another section.

Weapons and Modules:
-Limited to 3 per section
-Weapons and modules must rest, without overlapping, on its parent section. (This does not mean all the pixels of the weapon\module have to be on the parent section, just that where it sits should be on its parent section)
-Weapons and modules may touch, and may cover the section, but again, may not overlap.
-The arc of the weapon can be set from 0 to 135 degrees.
I will allow custom starting positions for fleets. Default position is just the three ships in a straight line.
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

I propose that you can double the weapon arcs but you have to pay 1 or 2 points for it, depending on the weapon.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Says on the updated rules that weapon arcs can now be extended upto 135....What more can you ask for without being picky lol? I just looked over the new updated rules, I think there about perfect the way they have been formed....besides for that one issue I had with the devices being so high, but ya can't always get what ya want lol. Great work again Cmd Prompt your really doing a fine job. I think the rules are about done, unless theres anymore issues to discuss? I mean the section size change rule has even been changed to 3 sizes larger or smaller, what more can ya ask for? I think we have a great point system and rules at this point, no more changes really needed I can think of...I'm content. And are you planning on joining us for this tourney? I would love to see ya get involved.