Fireborn's 2nd Tournament: Resolved at Last

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Fireborn's 2nd Tournament: Resolved at Last

Post by Captain Trek »

Before we begin I'd just like to give due credit to Andrew Fireborn. This tournament is his, not mine. I'm simply running the fights. He came up with the tournament system, he balanced it, and he took the time to wade through each and every one of 21 entries to make sure they were following the rules. He is the true Tournamentator, and I believe he should be remembered as such... :)

As you probably know, Fireborn started a second tournament after the success of his first. Unfortunately, he vanished just after starting the actual fights. This is where I come in. I will carry out these fights in a random seed round robin format, where the opponents in each series of fights are determined randomly through the use of a random digit generator...

http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/random.htm

Each ship will fight each of its opponents twice, once as the 'ally' and once as the 'enemy'. If there is no winner, a tiebreaker round will be carried out in which I will determine who will play the 'ally' and who will play the 'enemy' through the use of the virtual coin toss...

http://cgi.cs.duke.edu/~des/vct/vct.cgi

Now let me introduce (or rather reintroduce) our contestants. As you know the tournament is divided into three categories, frigate, cruiser and battleship. In these categories, there are six, eight and seven entrants, respectively.

The frigate entrants...

The Cower, by Bluhman

The Ironboot, by Winged Cat

The Proton, by Xerxes-17

The Sagittarius, by Himura.Kenshin

The Showerhead, by Ixranin

The Viper, by Arcalane

The cruiser entrants...

The Big Armoured Turd, by Anarki

The Bullete, by Himura.Kenshin

The Carbon, by Xerxes-17

The Obfuscation III, by Ixranian

The Phoebus, by Admiral Evars

The Scorpion, by Arcalane

The SCOTLAND, by Bluhman

The Swarm Station, by Winged Cat

The Battleship entrants...

The Amethyst Longbow, by Himura.Kenshin

The Chernobog, by Endless Infinity

The Crossbow, by Winged Cat

The Dracos II, by DarkenShroud

The Hallowed Storm, by Admiral Evars

The Oh My God Touchie Touch Touch! by Anarki

The Stalker, by Carcer

The Tarantula, by Arcalane

Now, let the battles commence! :D
Last edited by Captain Trek on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Final Frigate Standings:

Wins-losses:

1st place: Cower: 5-0

2nd place: Sagittarius: 4-1

3rd place: Showerhead: 3-2

Equal 4th place: Ironboot, Proton and Viper: 1-4 each

Final Cruiser Standings:

Wins-losses:

1st Place: Obfuscation III: 6-1

Equal 2nd place: Big Armoured Turd and Swarm Station: 5-2 each

Equal 3rd place: Bullete and Phoebus: 4-3 each

4th place: Carbon: 2-5

Equal 5th place: Scorpion and SCOTLAND: 1-6 each
Last edited by Captain Trek on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Cool. Just from other's testings I know that my only ship that stands a chance is the Bullette... funny, seeing as that was the ship I only really spent more than five minutes on.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Cool. Just from other's testings I know that my only ship that stands a chance is the Bullette...
Well, after running the first few frigate fights (I will be running a few fights a day), I'd beg to differ. Your Sagittarius tore its first opponent to shreds...

Battle results for January 1st:

I will be running three or four fights a day, depending on the category, starting with the frigate category. The first fights are complete and here are the results...

Ironboot vs Viper:

Round 1:

The two short range brawlers quickly closed with each other and opened fire, and it wasn't long before the Viper found a critical weakness in the Ironboot's construction, blowing off three sections and sending the Boot into hull shock...

The Boot recovered, however, and tried continue the fight. Unfortunately for it, however, the Viper managed to send it into hull shock again, the Boot unable to hit the Viper with enough of its pulse guns to cause fatal damage, due to the Viper's fast flanking maneuvers...

...And this time the Ironboot failed to recover... After this, the Viper chased the dilapidated Ironboot all around the map, failing to finish it off, but none-the-less victorious...

Round 2:

This time around, the Viper was unable to exploit the Ironboot's weakness and found itself in bad shape shortly after deflector faliure... Managing to blow a few sections off the Boot, but not enough to induce hull shock or to stop the Boot from returning the favor...

The fight ended seconds later...

Round 3 Tiebreaker:

First battle of the tournament and already we have a tiebreaker situation. The virtual coin toss came up heads, meaning the Ironboot would play as the ally, and the Viper as the enemy. Unfortunately for the Ironboot, it failed to set a deflector on its long girder section as it had in rounds 1 and 2. The Viper quickly sent it into hull shock...

...And tore it to shreds, suffering minimal damage...

Winner: Viper

Cower vs Showerhead:

Round 1:

True to its name, the Cower kept the short ranged Showerhead at extreme range and attempted to shower it with pulsar barrages... The Showerhead's flanking AI kept these from hitting but also prevented it from closing with the Cower, despite its speed advantage...

As the dance progressed, the Showerhead slowly began to wear down, a few pulsar bursts (not entire barrages, just one to three bursts from the occasional barrage) managing hitting it here and there were enough to cause some damage. I let the fight run for quite some time at 200 FPS and nothing changed... Ultimately I called the fight in favor of the Cower. It was clear neither ship was going to get stuck in a corner and that the Showerhead would never take enough damage to actually destroy any sections. None-the-less, at least the Cower was able to damage the Showerhead. The Showerhead was unable to do the same to the Cower...

Round 2:

Reversing the sides made no difference, aside from the fact that the ships were now dancing anti-clockwise instead of clockwise...

Once again, I called the fight in favor of the Cower, which caused damage to the Showerhead, whereas the Showerhead could not do the same to the Cower...

Winner by default: Cower

Proton vs Sagittarius:

Round 1:

This battle was insanely one-sided, so much so that I was too stunned to take screen shots and had to run round 1 again. The Sagittarius, having no engines to speak of, calmly sat back and casually tore the Proton's left side clean off as it attempted to close...

While the Proton did manage to discharge its Frosch gun and temporarily disable the Sagittarius, the gravely wounded Proton was unable to do anywhere near enough damage to prevent the Sagittarius from recovering and finishing what it started...

Round 2:

The Proton fared far better in round two. After disabling the Sagittarius...

...it was able to stay out of the firing arcs of Sagittarius' railguns almost long enough to destroy it... Almost proved not to be enough, though...

Winner: Sagittarius

Frigate Standings after round 1:

Wins-losses:

Cower: 1-0

Sagittarius: 1-0

Viper: 1-0

Ironboot: 0-1

Proton: 0-1

Showerhead: 0-1

Tomorrow's fights:

Sagittarius vs Viper

Cower vs Proton

Ironboot vs Showerhead
Last edited by Captain Trek on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Woohoo! Cower is working as intended! 8)
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Woohoo! Cower is working as intended!
Well, tormorrow you'll get to see him fight another of his opponents... I've already determined who'll be fighting whom...

Also, I've cropped the pictures in the first lot of battle results so the thread boxes aren't stretched quite so badly. Now (at least on my computer) you can read all the text without having to scroll back and fourth...

Tomorrow's fights:

Sagittarius vs Viper

Cower vs Proton

Ironboot vs Showerhead
Last edited by Captain Trek on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

This is looking good!
Fade-in,fade-out
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

More fights for me :twisted:
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Battle results for January 2nd:

Sagittarius vs Viper:

Round 1:

As it closed, the Viper withstood the Sagittarius' opening volleys a lot better than the Proton did. By the time it closed into attack range and the Sagittarius fired its second volley, the Viper had only lost one of its pulse guns...

Upon reaching attack range, the Viper attempted to circle the Sagittarius, and was able to give a little, only to take a lot in return, not flanking fast enough...

Round 2:

The Viper once again came out of the opening volleys with the loss of only a single pulse gun (two more damaged, but not destroyed in the volley after the one pictured here).

However, once again, its circling failed it and the Viper was mercilessly cored...

Cower vs Proton:

Round 1:

The Proton never stood a chance. Deflectorless and not as fast as the Cower, the ship quickly lost its meagre armour plating...

And the fight... Even if the ship had managed to get into Frosch gun range, it couldn't possibly have hit the dodging Cower...

Round 2:

The battle went no differently with the sides reversed...

The Proton did make a slightly better attempt to defend itself with its flak guns than in the last round, but it was completely outclassed by its opponent from start to finish. I hate to say it, but the Proton never had a chance...

Winner: Cower

Ironboot vs Showerhead:

Round 1:

The Fast and furious Showerhead quickly outflanked its rather more sluggish opponent, the Ironboot barely managing to raise a deflector on its port girder section in time to prevent its destruction...

As the fight continued, the Ironboot had a hard time hitting the speedy Showerhead. It did manage to do a little damage...

...But not enough to prevent the Showerhead from tearing the Boot's left side to pieces and sending it into hull shock moments after deflector faliure...

...Resulting in a victory for the Showerhead...

Round 2:

Once again, the Ironboot managed to raise a deflector in time to stop the Showerhead from claiming an entire side of the ship early on...

...and even managed to cause some damage...

...before the Boot's left side once again fell victim to deflector failure and a few well placed scatter beam shots, courtesy of the Showerhead...

The Ironboot managed to recover, however, and the fight continued for a while longer. The Boot's now rather smaller number of pulse guns proved virtually useless against a fast moving target, and it was only a matter of time before the Showerhead was able to rip off the other girder section, securing its victory...

Winner: Showerhead

Frigate Standings after round 2:

Wins-losses:

Cower: 2-0

Sagittarius: 2-0

Showerhead: 1-1

Viper: 1-1

Ironboot: 0-2

Proton: 0-2

Tomorrow's fights:

Proton vs Viper

Cower vs Sagittarius

Ironboot vs Sagittarius
Last edited by Captain Trek on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Cower vs Sagittarius = :D
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Speaking of tourneys, ever think you could resolve the fleet tourney?

Yeah I know... That's asking a bit much but... You know... I like my ships.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

Oh god. :shock: Let's hope Cower is smart enough to stay out of range this time.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Battle results for January 3rd:

Proton vs Viper:

Round 1:

The Viper quickly found itself Frosch gunned...

...But recovered quickly and showed the Proton that it would not go down without a fight. It failed to follow up on its lead, however, the left the Proton some of its scatterbeams...

...Another Frosch gun shot proved ineffective, now it was the Proton's turn to fail to follow through... but the third allowed the Proton to get its own back...

And subsequently snipe off the last of the Viper's pulse guns, securing the Proton a narrow victory...

Round 2:

The fight went more smoothly for the Proton this round. Even though its Frosch discharge proved ineffective (the Viper's deflector remained powered for most of the few seconds it was disabled for), even despite a direct hit, the Viper's strange AI behavior stopped it from making effective use of its pulse guns, and the Proton soon pulled into the lead...

Even though its second Frosch discharge missed, the Proton still managed to send the Viper into hull shock...

...and then proceeded to chase the dilapidated Viper, corner it and finish it off...

Winner: Proton

Cower vs Sagittarius:

Round 1:

At this stage, both of these ships have yet to lose a fight. However, in this tournament there can only be one winner. Unfortunately, the fight was not as spectacular I thought it should have been. After taking a heavy initial hit from the Sagittarius' railguns, the Cower withdrew out of its range, only to drift out of contact range. The two ships were not longer targeting each other, forcing a round restart...

Round 1a:

The same thing happened again here, except that the Sagittarius didn't get to fire an opening volley before the Cower had moved out of range. Once again, however, the Cower drifted entirely out of contact range...

Round 1b:

One more time. This time I used a 'tow core' (a core with five grav beams on it) to drag the Cower back into contact range where necessary...

Unlike the last two times, the Cower did not lose contact. Rather, it merely loitered out at its maximum range, not firing, even though two of its pulsar guns had survived the Sagittarius' opening barrage...

Using the 'tow core', I forced the Cower back into attack range, at which point it caused some damage, but merely backed off again, losing contact with the Sagittarius once more...

Round 2:

Reversing the sides made no difference. The Cower came out of the Sagittarius' opening barrage quite well and quickly moved out of its range and lost contact. Interestingly, the Sagittarius did manage to fire a second volley, but it missed...

I used to 'tow core' to drag the Sagittarius closer to the Cower. Of course, the Cower just flew out of range again. It was starting to get really sad, so I decided to see if I could destroy the Sagittarius by controlling the Cower myself...

Round '3' (Cower under player control):

Naturally, there'd be no point in me trying to control the Sagittarius myself, due to its lack of engines, so I spawned the Cower as a player controlled ship. To be kind, I spawned it at the normal range (inside the Sagittarius' railgun range).

Controlling the Cower myself, I was able to position it so that it would continually fire at the Sagittarius without being fired upon itself (but not before it took heavy damage)...

When I ordered it to attack the Sagittarius and allowed the AI to handle it, The Cower simply loitered outside of its own range again, until it hit the right wall and bounced into range. The Sagittarius tired to fire on it, but missed the dodging ship and was heavily damaged for its trouble, but not destroyed, until it happened again... this time the Sagittarius was finished

Ultimately, I call this fight in favor of the Cower. I think it is pretty clear that the Cower has the advantage...

Winner by default: Cower

Ironboot vs Sagittarius:

Round 1:

This fight was a lot less complex than the Sagittarius' last fight. The Ironboot attempted to close, and was met by a massive barrage from the Sagittarius' railguns. Unable to raise its deflectors in time, the Boot quickly went into hull shock...

When it recovered, the Boot once again attempted to close, only to once again get hit before it could raise itself deflectors, securing the Sagittarius' victory...

Round 2:

The Ironboot almost got its deflector placement right this round... but once again found itself ripped a new one by the Sagittarius...

...and was finished off soon after...

Frigate Standings after round 3:

Wins-losses:

Cower: 3-0

Sagittarius: 3-1

Showerhead: 1-1

Proton: 1-2

Viper: 1-2

Ironboot: 0-3

Tomorrow's fights:

Sagittarius vs Showerhead

Ironboot vs Proton

Cower vs Viper
Ethril
Commander
Commander

Post by Ethril »

Can't you solve the problem with the Cower flying too far away by activating the Fleet AI Controller and bumping up the Maximum AI Range?
That way ships will chase eachother all over the map, and guns with ranges over 1000 will still fire.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I think the Cower was built so it always try to run away - it's AI range is longer then it's actual firing range. Then it relies on people to follow it.