Fireborn's 2nd Tournament: Resolved at Last

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Well, maybe I did something wrong (Andrew can probably confirm this), but again, when I dissected the O.T.T.T., this is what I got...

Oh My God Touchie Touch Touch!

Engines and Sections:

0.05 speed: 1 point

0.25 turning: 10 points

0.10 accel: 20 points

6 sections: 3 points

9 points on section HP increases

43 points on sections and engines

Weapons and modules:

2 boosters: 4 points

2 deflectors: 4 points

1 Dieterling device: 2 points

5 impeders: 10 points

1 Frosch gun: 6 points

24 scatter beams: 48 points

73 points on weapons and modules

Total: 117 points
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

Hi! I just discovered the game, and have been playing with the shipmaker for some time. I have developed a concept I thought I could use for a tournament battleship -I loved the swarm station, by the way, I love droneships- I still have to test it, but I have a question.

While reading the rules, I did not see anything about weapon modifications. I do not see if parameter modification in weapons is allowed or not, since the rules list the possibility to increase arc of fire. Could I, for one increase my ship's weapons/modules range? at wich cost?
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Sorry friend, but if I'm still running the battleship fights (Fireborn will hopefully decide on this in his next post), I won't be accepting anymore late entrants... Andrew (if he decides to run the battleship fights, given that is his tournament and he's back now) just might, though...
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

2500kgm3 wrote:Hi! I just discovered the game, and have been playing with the shipmaker for some time. I have developed a concept I thought I could use for a tournament battleship -I loved the swarm station, by the way, I love droneships- I still have to test it, but I have a question.

While reading the rules, I did not see anything about weapon modifications. I do not see if parameter modification in weapons is allowed or not, since the rules list the possibility to increase arc of fire. Could I, for one increase my ship's weapons/modules range? at wich cost?
Hi! Welcome to the BSF community!

Firstly, you need to know that different tournaments have different rules and regulations, such as (as you mentioned) firing arcs and range. These are rather controversial topics that I don't think you should play with when you are designing a ship for a tournament. If you need clarification, I think you will have to ask either Fireborn or Trek, or go through the existing thread for Fireborn's tournament.

I checked and this is what Fireborn says:
Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Weapons may be set up to a 180* firing arc. However, especially for frigates, it should be kept in mind that turrets do not turn with the ship unless they would be aiming outside their firing arc. So, slow turning turrets on a fast turning ship could end up facing the enemy less often, and therefore taking fewer shots.
Hope that this answers your question.

And last, if you wish to submit a last-minute BATTLESHIP, MAKE IT QUICK!
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

I do not need to get into this competition. I really enjoy watching the comments about the current battles. I just wanted to know in order to have my ship ready, and have rules clear in order to be able to take part in another tournament in the future.

EDIT: That little bit about changing coverage is the only thing that I could get from the rules I read. So I understand a certain degree of weapon customization is allowed. I would like to have this clarified.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

2500kgm3,
Welcome to Wyrdysm (or Battleships Forever Forums)!
If ya want to participate in a Tournement (if you don't make this one), check out some of the other ones around here. theres at least 2 going on right now.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

2500kgm3 wrote:I do not need to get into this competition. I really enjoy watching the comments about the current battles. I just wanted to know in order to have my ship ready, and have rules clear in order to be able to take part in another tournament in the future.

EDIT: That little bit about changing coverage is the only thing that I could get from the rules I read. So I understand a certain degree of weapon customization is allowed. I would like to have this clarified.
Ah, but you'll have to check the rules for the new tournament that you wish to compete in, as they might be different (pardon me if you already know this). And weapon arcs...unless your weapon has an arc smaller than 180 degrees, than consider changing it. If not, DON'T.

I'm also about the same as you, I enjoy watching the comments and the battles but not creating a ship for the tournaments.
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

As a comment, I have run some quick tests with the ship I designed. it is 100pt total. I called it the "tamer". It is a cruiser according to the rules of the tournament, and it defeated the Obfuscation III (too damn close), the Bullette (easy, because of the weapon configuration), and I got a draw against the SwarmStation (none being able to deal damage to the enemy). Not bad, I think. I only did one test per ship. I will take a look at the torunaments I might take part on.

I am eager to see how the last part of this tournament resolves.

EDIT: the phoebus has fallen too :-P
EDIT2: and the scorpion! WOW
Last edited by 2500kgm3 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

2500kgm3 wrote:I am eager to see how the last part of this tournament resolves
Yeah.
Xerxes-17
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Xerxes-17 »

Captain Trek, could you post the results that you have currently gotten? You can do the fights with the dieterling ship later.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Nobody answered his question. Or as far as I interpreted it, atlest. No. In this thread's tournament rules, you cannot change any weapon paraneters other than weapon arc. In all tournaments, weapon modification is illegal except when specifically stated otherwise (like weapon arc, for instance).
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

Thanks for your answer Himura.Kenshin!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Master Chief wrote:And last, if you wish to submit a last-minute BATTLESHIP, MAKE IT QUICK!
Pay attention. Trek already said no.

2500kgm3; the Scorpion is not a particularly offensively made battleship. I tend to make my tournament designs more stock-balanced than most (more along the lines of the PA tournament ships, I suppose) which puts them at a disadvantage compared to "min/max"'d ships.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Arcalane wrote:
Master Chief wrote:And last, if you wish to submit a last-minute BATTLESHIP, MAKE IT QUICK!

2500kgm3; the Scorpion is not a particularly offensively made battleship. I tend to make my tournament designs more stock-balanced than most (more along the lines of the PA tournament ships, I suppose) which puts them at a disadvantage compared to "min/max"'d ships.
Yes, fine, the entries for the tournament are closed. And seriously, Arcalane, I know you love BSF, but when you are submitting ships for a tournament, please design them as if you what all other ships of that category to fall before it.

And please don't rap me again about this.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Master Chief wrote:
Arcalane wrote:

Yes, fine, the entries for the tournament are closed. And seriously, Arcalane, I know you love BSF, but when you are submitting ships for a tournament, please design them as if you what all other ships of that category to fall before it.

And please don't rap me again about this.
I'm sorry, but these are the only words I can make out.
I am, totally, utterly, retarded.
Guess what?

Maybe you should remember that you're not God, and you word is not law.

If someone wants to submit a piece of junk into a tournament, you have NO RIGHT to tell them otherwise.

Not saying that Arcalame's ships are pieces of junk...