Assault the Mothership 2: Team BETA discussion

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Love that lancet set up, perfect.
@CaptainTrek: Take some flak off, put some weapons on, (tachyon drivers?)
Agreed, or Tac cannons like Chaos might be good.

@DarkenShroud: I'll take that into consideration . . . and you really should at least show somebody on our team your ship before you submit it . . . can you PM it to someone who is on oyur team here and in the other tourney?

I was thinking of submitting one idea soon, and just leaving the other two for now in the dark. I'll refine the one I pick tonight and make sure to just post it in the thread for the team. But the other two I'm holding off on, till sponges submissions are complete. Which should far sooner then the deadline for this tourney (Hopefully) Eitherway what I submit should be interesting if not cheesy, and already thought of.

Now to choose which to refine and submit for your viewing pleasure.

Oh and BTW, I noticed you can also stack weapons upto 50 percent. Maybe want to think about that fact when building.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

http://www.mediafire.com/?aavzx3b21yj

Link to one of my ideas, I decided to go with my teamates ideas for now instead of my own. Semi close tac user, decent Aegis protection and flak. Not the best, but its a start. I'm probably going with a differnt idea, but if you like this let me know for now. Could also go with a one aegis version of this, switch around a few things, and add more firepower if needed. Again I have better ideas, but I just wanted to see if this was good enough for starts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my shadier ideas, stay back and pummel type. Very good at distracting PD, and fires from extreme ranges.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7tk1wczne05

Link to Mother Goose

NO CHANGING THE MOTHERSHIP INFINITY WHEN YOU SEE MOTHERGOOSES IDEA!!!!!!!!! YOU PROMISED :x

Here's my ship, the HBP (Heavy Beam Platform) Vindicator:
Suggestion-
Get rid of two felctors, a few back sections, and the two blasters. Add either more beamers, or 2 lancets. Needs more firepower.
Last edited by DarkenShroud on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Hmm . . . I like them, but with a few caveats:

1) The Mothership is fast and has a Deiterling. Slow-recharge, long-range weapons will be mainly ineffective . . . I'd scrap the MotherGoose. Will the Goslings even fire from 2000 pixels?

2) The Blues is good, lots of firepower, but you should reduce the AI range to give the tachyons maximum lifetime and prevent the MS from escaping (~450?). Perhaps you should also move the aegis father back, or parent them to the opposite Aegis'ed sections to prevent Tachyons from hitting them. That's what I'm going to do to mine . . .

3) We should probably keep all our stats the same, with high turning to prevent being flanked by the mothership (oh the irony) and similar speed numbers to prevent sepration.

I think I'm going to add more tachyons to mine, and edit some placements.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

1) The Mothership is fast and has a Deiterling. Slow-recharge, long-range weapons will be mainly ineffective . . . I'd scrap the MotherGoose. Will the Goslings even fire from 2000 pixels?

LOL Goslings will fire all the way across the screen(And yes there stock I'm taking advatage of a bug I believe, they fire as soon as the enemy is spawned, no matter how big the map), the only limit they have is when they run out. They last hella long range, and fire even when the mothership is all the way on the otherside of the map. They fire way farther then 2000 lol. Could always just add a device of my own, and kill off all my movement. The goslings will fire no matter where she is, and the lancets. Even directly behind me..... The Mothergoose stays way back and distracts the mothership while the rest of you pummel her, the gosling fire will keep her occupied, or you all will and eitherway she will get nailed. 4 far away gosling ships, and 4 upclose pummels try it and see. The goslings fire from a amazing range, and last forever after fired.
Also there reload time is excellent, not really slow at all. Already have done extensive testing with this idea, it works perfect. But it is not as effective as in Cmd Prompts tourney set up, or Sponges. Yes my team will kill me for giving away one of my better ideas :wink: But not the best idea I have :wink: x2 I'm saving that for a suprise lol

3) We should probably keep all our stats the same, with high turning to prevent being flanked by the mothership (oh the irony) and similar speed numbers to prevent sepration.

Actually 4 fast ships, and 4 slow ones would work better. The 4 fast ships attempt to encirlce her, her attention goes to them and she turns. The slower ships come upon her while distracted, and bam. So either half the ships need to be almost the same, and the other half need to be almost the same. Otherwise yeah I agree, all the ships need to be close to each others speed. But having half ships fast, and half coming up from behind, does work very well. And if we do all stay together, we maybe dieing altogether too lol. With the fast/slow idea she has flankers to worry about and chase around, while our slower stronger ships pummel her while distracted. Make sense?

Try 8 mother geese against the mothership lol

Or 4 mother geese, and four closer type vessels against her.
The Blues is good, lots of firepower, but you should reduce the AI range to give the tachyons maximum lifetime and prevent the MS from escaping
Her AI range is 600 because the mothership is large, and will probably be a close up ship. Testing against the old mothership, she always fires all of her tacs. Having a AI range of 400 or less is risky, you maybe to close for comfort!!!
Last edited by DarkenShroud on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Well, I did a second version with 3:3:5 of PBs, PGs and Flaks, respectively, and I tested it against a version of the test mothership from the first tournament with all but one of its tachyon repeaters removed...

Neither version worked quite as well as I would have liked... its sections just seem too vulnerable too attack... bummer... back to the drawing board I guess... :?
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Remeber Trek, theres gonna be 7 of us there to help you. No need to try to beat her yourself(Only one way to possibly do that anyways 8) ). Check out a few of my ideas above, and I'll be posting more ship ideas for the team(s) later.

HOLY FIREPOWER BATMAN :P

8 ships with 12 Tac cannons each lol, might be better...haven't tried it. Time to test 8 blues vs. the mother lol fun to watch how mass firepower affects her.

Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I've built a long-range railgun bombardment device - basically, it has deflectors to stop attacks from the front, and 12 railguns boosted by 2 boosters.

I've found that it is very good at destroying modules, but virtually useless when it comes to destroying sections.

Two of my railgun bombardment devices can kill nagaya3.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Remeber Trek, theres gonna be 7 of us there to help you. No need to try to beat her yourself(Only one way to possibly do that anyways
Yea, yea, but the Mosaic was meant to be a tank... and its not working... :?
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Anarki wrote:I've built a long-range railgun bombardment device - basically, it has deflectors to stop attacks from the front, and 12 railguns boosted by 2 boosters.
How can you manage that with the weapon per section rule?
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

What? Since when was there a weapon per section rule?
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Weapons and Modules
Each section may parent at most two modules/weapons. All weapons must use their original arc. That is, weapons may no longer be expanded to 180 degrees in this tournament. No attributes may be changed for weapons or modules.
Sorry man, it was a good idea. You might want to keep it actually, so you'll have at least some boosted rails.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Oh, gay.

No point making booster modules, then. Only possible use is to boost Tachyon Repeaters - otherwise, it's a total waste of points.

I'll just load it with railguns.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

New Aegis Beamer, isn't all that bad. Seems ok in tests. Just trying to throw ideas out there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ujyxgqowmw

Link to the ship.
Last edited by DarkenShroud on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I think that Aegis ship is illegal.

Not quite sure, though.

Apparently, we need a gap, although a gap is kinda useless anyway.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

It says 90 degrees measured from the core I believe, not sure. the section in front is less then 90 degrees when measured from the core. Unless I am looking at it wrong, serious not sure....your speaking with a partier here.

I think that Aegis ship is illegal.

Not quite sure, though.

Apparently, we need a gap, although a gap is kinda useless anyway.

Pretty sure you only need a gap if your using 2 aegis in front. :)
Last edited by DarkenShroud on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.