Assault the Mothership 2 - Team Alpha

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:
Master Chief wrote:
Psst...don't use Filefront, use MediaFire! It's MUCH better!
Don't critique my hosting, critique the ship. BTW, there's a misparenting. The rear triangular section is parented to the forward parenting section and causes the whole thing to explode. lol.
Ouch. You'd better correct that.

Oh, and just a tip: use MediaFire in the future.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

what ever happened to the hosting on this site? we DO have that uploader.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Well, its been having some issues recently.

I think that before we get any farther with building our ships, we should have a discussion about how we are going to tackle the mothership, get a general idea of how we are going to kill it. This is especially the case if that thing has a Dieterling since that throws a wrench in the tactics that killed the last mothership.

I personally think that we should divide our fleet up into some fast battleships and some mobile artillery and high damage ships. The battleships would keep the mothership from sucessfully deploying its dieterling device to kill our artillery and mobile artillery means that we can hits its vulnerable parts.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Just my viewpoint based on watching the two videos for the previous mothership battles. One team had their ships speed somewhat evenly spread out over the entire range, from barely mobile heavies to sprinters. What I saw happen is that the mothership got to separate the ships and take them out in groups of 1's and 2's. The other team had more ships of close enough speed that they could support each other when attacked and were much more successful (just my opinion).

I don't think we have to stick to any one speed, but having a few ships with similar speeds (even two general groupings, a slower set and a faster set) will, I think, make a big difference in the fight.
Colonel_Sanders
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Colonel_Sanders »

Jafo wrote:Just my viewpoint based on watching the two videos for the previous mothership battles. One team had their ships speed somewhat evenly spread out over the entire range, from barely mobile heavies to sprinters. What I saw happen is that the mothership got to separate the ships and take them out in groups of 1's and 2's. The other team had more ships of close enough speed that they could support each other when attacked and were much more successful (just my opinion).

I don't think we have to stick to any one speed, but having a few ships with similar speeds (even two general groupings, a slower set and a faster set) will, I think, make a big difference in the fight.
That, my friend, is a really good idea. What should be the average speed?
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I kinda think we need a normal AI set for the slow section since those ships usually end up in a giant ball ontop of each other and become ridiculously hard to kill.

Fast ships with flanking have problems keeping together so I don't know what to do about that.

I'm thinking that a speed of about 1-1.5 would be good for the slow ships. Anything too much less will just get left behind since that thing seems to have a dieterling and lots of speed from the posts I've read.
Colonel_Sanders
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

This is the vastly improved Turtle. I'll be gone till Monday, so here's the ship:

http://www.mediafire.com/?du2uyfg0ze9

Good luck, everyone.
QwiceNitely
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by QwiceNitely »

Hey guys sorry for not posting until been busy with stuff. Going to have a preliminary ship design up within the next hour

In terms of the screenshot of the mothership, Endless said that it was still under construction and was mounted in a scaffold. I think that some (maybe most?) of the ship is hidden by the scaffold. It's probably fairly safe to say that most of the sections with nano matrices are part of the scaffolding as it would be damn near impossible to take it out otherwise. That said it may have one or two.

An effective strategy may well be to have a rail heavy fleet, as completely disarming it counts as a win and I really can't tell from the photo how much active defense it's packing
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

okay heres my ship and download:
DOWNLOAD HERE
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Rails are nice but I've never had much luck with them in practice. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a good concept.

@Turtle 2. I really like the hull oyu have on that thing. Good job. However, I think you should pick a definite role for it since right now it outruns its Impeder modules, get blown up if the enemy gets too close, and doesn't really do that much damage. I don't really recommend a megabeam setup since your ship is fairly fragile without deflectors on. My ship relies on its Aegis for protection(yeah until tacs sho up). Blasters, Beamers, Missiles, and Pulsars might be a better use for your ship.

Otherwise, I do love the hull though it seems to have some parenting problems though (extreme explosion hazard). You might want to make them double layered so you have some ablative armor on them kinda like Cephalopod(look for it in the database).

The only other thing I'd like to say is that the Rorshachs aren't very good. They get shot down, don't really do that much, interferes with friendly fire. Etc. You could almost fit a nano repair(which would be fitting for a ship named 'turtle.'

[Edit]

@Everyone - Is anyone planning on building a demeter whore? Those things are really good at screwing up PD and causing general mayhem so we might want one if we're going to use lots of blasters and interceptables.

Also:

Solstice H2

http://www.mediafire.com/?cd3kgib5igw

This is just a redo of the hull:

Structure
Sections: 12 * .5 = 6
Aegis: 2 * 8 = 16
Armor: 7
Nano: 15

Total = 44

Movement
Speed: 10
Acc: 2
Turning: 10

Total = 22

Weapons
Particle Guns: 4 * 2 = 8
Booster: 2 * 5 = 10
Mega Beams: 4 * 4 =16

Total =34

Grand Total = 100

[Edit]

Here's a crappy but simple proof of concept dieterling ship.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a1gmzlctgw0
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

antisocialmunky wrote: @Everyone - Is anyone planning on building a demeter whore? Those things are really good at screwing up PD and causing general mayhem so we might want one if we're going to use lots of blasters and interceptables.
my ship sort of negates the need for a demeter whore. the pulsars pack more of a punch, are harder to intercept due to MASSIVE SHOTGUN EFFECT and will tie up a large amount of PD.
Colonel_Sanders
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hmm, was considering getting rid of the Rorschachs (sp?) and you just convinced me. Not too worried about the speed vs. impeder's, in testing they seem to do their job just fine and besides they're for the help of other ships, too.

But I see your reasoning with megabeams. They've been replaced with a crap load of blasters.

I also think a ship packed with demeters is a fine idea.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0oweszdzmjq

New ship.
QwiceNitely
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by QwiceNitely »

All right, here we go. Version one of the Jormungand, a rework of the ship I used in the first Attack the Mothership tournament

The armament is sort of interchangable at this point, I think the gluon bolters are a mistake, and it might be better served with just another couple of gatling blasters. It's opening salvo is certainly impressive but the recharge on the megatachs is a bit of a liability.

I'm re-using the same legal but slightly abusive aegis configuration to help the ship absorb a lot of fire and it is quite good at that. Only problem is tachs sneaking behind the shields and coring it. I'll post it as soon as I can get the upload server to stop throwing parse errors :P

EDIT: .SHP file is available here http://www.mediafire.com/?7xldir2wy9h
Last edited by QwiceNitely on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Tsakara wrote:
antisocialmunky wrote: @Everyone - Is anyone planning on building a demeter whore? Those things are really good at screwing up PD and causing general mayhem so we might want one if we're going to use lots of blasters and interceptables.
my ship sort of negates the need for a demeter whore. the pulsars pack more of a punch, are harder to intercept due to MASSIVE SHOTGUN EFFECT and will tie up a large amount of PD.
Yeah, agreed. But Demeters can screw up deflectors and always reach their target. I was just throwing it out there.

Does anyone have any critiques for the Solstice? Something about it just doesn't feel that right.

And does anyone have any opinions on a dieterling ship like the one I showed?

PS. QwiceNitely, I didn't realize my ship looked so much like your's.
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

I haven't tried the solstice yet. I'll do it later. I think the Jormungand still violates the aegis rules, and the hole makes it a destructo port unless you se the ship to broadside AI