Pre-Engagement Strategizing and Intel Collation

Boom baby!
STARSTRUCK

Pre-Engagement Strategizing and Intel Collation

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Up till now, the most we've done from a strategic standpoint is speculation. But whilst we simply cannot grasp the details of the endgame before the game actually starts, it would be wise to get a general idea of our three battlegroups' first moves.

Vidboi believes we should aggressively grab as many critical systems as possible so that we can build up our economy and construct powerful fleets for the later game. It seems to me that this could go either way after we expand: we can either attack immediately, or employ a "turtling" strategy to stockpile a gigantic fleet and wipe out the enemy in one fell swoop.

From an intelligence standpoint, we don't actually know much about the situation. However, what we do know needs to be written down for later perusal.

Here's what I know:
  • The map is divided into 15 systems, and it will be roughly symmetrical for both sides. I don't know the layout in detail, but I think it's likely to be... webby.
  • None of the Alliance's ships are worth shit except WaW's. Other shipbuilders' designs tend to have either cruddy parenting, poor armor distribution, or startling vulnerability to Artillery.
  • The Alliance's leadership has been shifted recently. Bad Boy is no longer the Arch Admiral; instead, Water and Wind is. It is likely we will see a lot of WaW's strategies, a lot of WaW's ships, and a lot of WaW kicking our asses if we're not careful. It's no certainty, but the threat level has certainly increased.
  • We know nothing solid about the AA's command structure atm, but remember that at one point it was utter chaos. They've likely made a lot of progress since then. It's probably something decent now.
As usual, suggestions (and extra intel!) are welcome.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Pre-Engagement Strategizing and Intel Collation

Post by Droid »

FE sounds like a good opener, should leave us with an economic advantage if they're not decisive enough to punish us for it. Its greedy but if they play conservative it'll pay off.

Regardless of how much better their command structure is, do you think they would abandon expanding and come kill us right off the bat?

If there aren't any neutrals being a nuisance, then grabbing 5-6 systems off the bat shouldn't be too hard, which will leave us with a good econ/production advantage that allows us to dictate the flow of the game.

If its worth it or not really depends on how long it takes for the advantages of taking extra systems to kick in.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Droid wrote:FE sounds like a good opener, should leave us with an economic advantage if they're not decisive enough to punish us for it. Its greedy but if they play conservative it'll pay off.

Regardless of how much better their command structure is, do you think they would abandon expanding and come kill us right off the bat?

If there aren't any neutrals being a nuisance, then grabbing 5-6 systems off the bat shouldn't be too hard, which will leave us with a good econ/production advantage that allows us to dictate the flow of the game.

If its worth it or not really depends on how long it takes for the advantages of taking extra systems to kick in.
Agreed in full. Expand, Command, and Conquer!

Also...
HOW ABOUT THOSE SHIPS, EH, DROID? SUBTLE NUDGE LOL
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

I was wondering about that, too. If you're unable to make ships due to whatever reason, I'd be glad to take over for you =).

Speaking of which, since we're going to fast expand, should we start making some colony ships? Mining ships? There's a severe lack of said ships in our database.
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Actually, Orelius... I would prefer it that you did not make the ships. I'm basing this off what I've seen of your work, and compared to Droid's work, well... it doesn't come close. Lo siento.
On the other hand, the second part of your post is correct. We DO need some colonies/miners. though it's my job to worry about that... I suppose I'll try my hand at it... though it might come out pretty crappy...
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

I suppose, but who else will do it, then? Droid has apparently been suffering from computer issues and for some reason can not make ships.
Spoiler!
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Well, like I said, I'll give it a wrangle.
I assume we are keeping with the "compact" style that I have mostly been seeing, right, Star?
And don't worry, O. Practice makes better.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Now that we have *the map*, strategizating can now begin in earnest.

Though honestly, nothing about it rules out the strategy that we had in mind.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

I suppose since it takes longer to get to faraway planets we'll need some faster colonizing ships. Does the ship speed factor into how fast the ship can reach a destination?
Spoiler!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

In short, no. Combat-scale speed does not have any bearing on stellar-scale or system-scale speed. This works in your favour, because otherwise colony ships would take months to get anywhere. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Hades
Commander
Commander

Post by Hades »

STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

That's a perfectly good rundown of the game start, Hades.

I'd like to add that I don't intend to launch any 'harassment' attacks once hostilities open. If an attack is not expected to succeed, then it should not be launched unless absolutely necessary.
For the purposes of drawing action from the enemy, we shall utilise the INFLATEABLE DECOYS that I have prepared. It would be a great strategy to use a ruse to divert the enemy's attention while we launch a decisive attack.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

if the AA do go to take jita, i believe we should fake an attack on jita as well and then send our main force in barrayar to attack skaro when the enemy's weakest. that way their fleet is trapped in jita, and we've closed off solo's flank so it only has one system to contend with, making the fight much easier. also in this turn of motherfucking cluster fucking barrayar would fake iserlohn drawing attention from the main attack from lusitania. hopefully in one turn we should be able to seize several sytems and trap or destroy a lot of enemy vessels, for complete shock effect

edit: i also guess we're going to have separate base systems for each command group which will define which direction they take. who's shotgunning which?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Hades
Commander
Commander

Post by Hades »

We should try to take Jita before they do, because it'll provide an economic boost and I have some uses for it strategically as well.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Yeah, take Jita if possible.
We want a favourable map split if it boils down to that (which it probably will given how the map looks, assuming both sides are half competent >.>)